Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D review from a Nikon shooter

Rimwalker
133 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 25, 2009 12:53 |  #1

I don't know if any of you follow Scott Bourne, but he did a write up of his thoughts on the 7d, which he bought primarily for video. For stills, he's a Nikon D3(s) shooter.http://photofocus.com …canon-7d-as-still-camera/ (external link)

Seems he loves the auto focus, but not the low ISO noise. Still, a glowing review.

Canon 70D & 40D, 10-22, 15-85, 50 1.8, 70-200 F4, 400 5.6

sponsored links
Iocol
215 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 25, 2009 12:59 |  #2

It just goes to show you that regardless of brand, the 7D is a great camera. Imagine if it had the 5d Mark II sensor - that would be a truly amazing camera! :p

IMAGINE WHAT YOU WILL KNOW TOMORROW

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,574 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 25, 2009 13:00 |  #3

Cool, thanks for sharing.

5DIV | 5DIII | 80D | A7RII | Canon 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 f/4L IS | 16-35 f/4L IS | 135 f/2L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 STM | 18-135 IS STM | SONY FE 28-70 OSS | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Tamron 150-600 | Ʃ 35 1.4 ART | Rokinon 14 2.8 | Sigma 1.4x | Metabones IV | 2x Canon 600EX-RT
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2009 13:15 as a reply to  @ gabebalazs's post |  #4

I agree with his accessment that if Canon had made a 12-14 mp 7D, it would have been a legendary product.

Hey Canon! We love you and you almost knocked the ball right out of the park with the 7D, but PLEASE fire the marketing guy that keeps goading you into continuing the mp race. Please...

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

ReconCadre
480 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 25, 2009 13:18 |  #5

cool review

[Perry de Venecia Photography ] (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 25, 2009 14:04 |  #6

Really interesting and balanced short review from someone who knows what he's doing and talking about - thanks for posting!

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,594 posts
Gallery: 1630 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 25, 2009 14:05 |  #7

District_History_Fan wrote in post #9080809 (external link)
I agree with his accessment that if Canon had made a 12-14 mp 7D, it would have been a legendary product.

Hey Canon! We love you and you almost knocked the ball right out of the park with the 7D, but PLEASE fire the marketing guy that keeps goading you into continuing the mp race. Please...

No. Because if Canon kept it 12-14mp, but as a crop sensor, then the next complaint would be "If Canon had made it a FF sensor." :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

gte357s
489 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 25, 2009 15:11 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #8

great review. I heard bad things about the out dated AF for the 5D MK II. But with the positive review of this AF, I am ready to buy the next 5DIII/3D if it equipted with this AF system, and cross our figure that Canon stop cramping more MPs into the FF sensor! I think for now, the noise level in 5D II is excellent from all the reviews.

Canon .. did you hear us? DON'T CRAMP MORE MPS, PLEASE!!!

Canon 5D MK I | Canon 24-70 F2.8 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS I | Sigma 85 F1.4 | Tamron 1.4x TC | Canon 430 EXII

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2009 15:22 |  #9

gte357s wrote in post #9081496 (external link)
great review. I heard bad things about the out dated AF for the 5D MK II. But with the positive review of this AF, I am ready to buy the next 5DIII/3D if it equipted with this AF system, and cross our figure that Canon stop cramping more MPs into the FF sensor! I think for now, the noise level in 5D II is excellent from all the reviews.

Canon .. did you hear us? DON'T CRAMP MORE MPS, PLEASE!!!

For its intended use (portraits, landscapes, etc), the 5D2 AF is fine. I have no complaints with it. Obviously, there are better AF choices for sports photography. You are correct though, if the 5D3 has the 7D feature set it will be one heck of a camera. The great thing about the 5D2 is that it doesn't have a "pixel population" problem (I'm sure Canon will "fix" that for us with the 5D3).

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

Rimwalker
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 25, 2009 23:48 |  #10

Here's a question for 7D owners regarding low ISO noise; I've read the argument here that the 7D's image quality shouldn't be judged on a 100 percent crop, but at similar print sizes to what you'd print out of a 10 or 12 megapixel camera. But my question is, why have 18 megapixels to print the same size as previous cameras? The crop-ability of the 7d has been touted for bird and wildlife photographers who need to get even closer than the lens allows, so isn't it valid to judge the 7D on crops, if it's supposed to be an advantage? I'm not trying to attack the camera, just a possible logical fallacy in previous discussions.

Canon 70D & 40D, 10-22, 15-85, 50 1.8, 70-200 F4, 400 5.6

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Nov 26, 2009 00:06 |  #11

Rimwalker wrote in post #9084168 (external link)
Here's a question for 7D owners regarding low ISO noise; I've read the argument here that the 7D's image quality shouldn't be judged on a 100 percent crop, but at similar print sizes to what you'd print out of a 10 or 12 megapixel camera. But my question is, why have 18 megapixels to print the same size as previous cameras? The crop-ability of the 7d has been touted for bird and wildlife photographers who need to get even closer than the lens allows, so isn't it valid to judge the 7D on crops, if it's supposed to be an advantage? I'm not trying to attack the camera, just a possible logical fallacy in previous discussions.

I don't know how to answer your question but I can say that the 7D is giving me better results, even when viewed as 100% crops, than my 40D ever did. More detail, less noise and better colors.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2009 00:26 |  #12

jwcdds wrote in post #9081146 (external link)
No. Because if Canon kept it 12-14mp, but as a crop sensor, then the next complaint would be "If Canon had made it a FF sensor." :lol:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU LOL!
like D3 in Nikon
w/e but still 7D is a beast... i'm happy to see something like D300 from Canon now =)

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,594 posts
Gallery: 1630 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 26, 2009 00:44 |  #13

Rimwalker wrote in post #9084168 (external link)

Huh?

I don't think people buy a high MP camera with the intention to crop. They crop out of necessity (in case their lenses aren't long enough, or they couldn't get a better composition. Having more MP gives you more leeway to do so, but doesn't mean you should be cropping at 100%. If you're doing so, then you were using the wrong lens to begin with.

Besides, what do you say to the guys/gals shooting 10-12mp cameras when all they do is print 4x6's and/or post photos on the web? For web photos, you wouldn't need a camera with more than 1mp sensor?

So what are you really judging? 100% pixel peeping? Or wouldn't you rather judge 100% Field of View?

When you stick a 500L on a 40D and look through the VF and aim for a BIF, you'd get practically the "same" view (FoV) as the 500L stuck on a 7D. So when you come home and upload the images, which one do you think would give you more detail to work with? 18mp? or 10mp?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,969 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 26, 2009 02:29 |  #14

very strange he used iso 250 as its not a true iso then conplaind about the noise .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 26, 2009 04:04 |  #15

GyRob wrote in post #9084716 (external link)
very strange he used iso 250 as its not a true iso then conplaind about the noise .
Rob.

I agree with this, is not ISO 250 just a pushed ISO 200? I do not know how it works but all these intermediary ISO's seem to produce a lot of noise, even more than the next up full stop ISO. I saw examples of ISO 500 which were a lot noisier than ISO 800 in the same test.

TOP BIRD SHOTS (external link)
MY PHOTOSTREAM (external link)

500px gallery (external link)

sponsored links

3,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D review from a Nikon shooter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.