Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 25 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How high of FEC do you use when the bride is in the picture?

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2009 16:43 |  #1

My equipment
5DII + 17-40 + 580exII

settings:
60 f4 1600

during indoor reception where the bride is in the picture, I would need to go as high as +2 FEC, flash bounced at an angle with white card pulled up. Is this normal?

Room varies. Sometimes white ceiling, off white, ivory, brownish, etc. Ceiling could go from 12ft to 20ft. But still with the bride in the picture, I usually need to go as high as +2 FEC.

Thanks

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2009 17:25 |  #2

FEC shouldn't vary significantly when light changes, but changes in what's in the frame will change it. I use anywhere between 0 if the bride's in the frame with guys in dark suits, to +2 or even a bit more if it's just the dress. The 7D does FEC+3 which is handy at times.

Just trust your histogram.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2009 17:40 |  #3

adding to what Tim said, your metering mode will also create different outcomes from your FEC setting. for instance, FEC +1 or +2 with spot metering will probably get you a well exposed wedding dress if you metered off the dress, but the next photograph could be blown out if you focus on a fellow in a black tux without thinking about it.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2009 17:46 |  #4

Does flash exposure pay attention to the metering mode? I have no idea.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2009 18:15 |  #5

tim wrote in post #9082384 (external link)
Does flash exposure pay attention to the metering mode? I have no idea.

in ettl, isn't the flash output based on the camera's evaluation of the scene?

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2009 18:40 |  #6

bric-a-brac wrote in post #9082513 (external link)
in ettl, isn't the flash output based on the camera's evaluation of the scene?

Yes, but I assumed it metered for the whole scene, not spot/partial if that's selected.

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2009 18:47 |  #7

tim wrote in post #9082635 (external link)
Yes, but I assumed it metered for the whole scene, not spot/partial if that's selected.

an opportunity to learn! I always assumed that everything was working off of the same meter according to the parameters set by the user.

time to get a whiskey and wait for someone smarter than me to come along with the answer. :D

50D|35L|other stuff

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2009 18:54 |  #8

I found this (external link).

The camera uses its evaluative metering system to meter the flash output, based upon the preflash. When in autofocus mode most EOS bodies which do not use E-TTL II bias flash metering toward the currently selected AF point, but always in an evaluative mode pattern - they don’t use spot or partial metering patterns. When in manual focus mode it appears that at least some EOS bodies switch to centre-weighted averaging.

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 25, 2009 19:04 |  #9

most EOS bodies which do not use E-TTL II bias flash metering toward the currently selected AF point, but always in an evaluative mode pattern - they don’t use spot or partial metering patterns.

It looks like this applies to only older EOS units though.

I too always thought flash metering was still based on err... well, whatever metering mode you were in.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2009 19:08 |  #10

Might be an interesting experiment to try. For someone else to try, rather than me, I always have my cameras set up the same way and I understand how they work, so I don't want to mess with them!

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 26, 2009 11:11 |  #11

psxindo wrote in post #9082058 (external link)
during indoor reception where the bride is in the picture, I would need to go as high as +2 FEC, flash bounced at an angle with white card pulled up. Is this normal?

Yes. The camera wants to expose for middle gray, so with a white dress, the camera will try to bring that down to gray. Hence having to bump up the FEC. Typically +0.7 to +1.0 should do the trick. Alternatively, with a black suit, the opposite must be done. The camera wants to make black into gray, so to offset that, turn your FEC down to -0.7 when shooting groomsmen.

Dave Hoffmann

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 26, 2009 13:34 |  #12

I thought I read somewhere that flash metering was centre weighted by default...and that maybe there was a custom function to change it to evaluative.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 29, 2009 15:16 as a reply to  @ Big Mike's post |  #13

I usually bounce and when I do I never use a more than +1 FEC on my 580ex II.

czeglin
560 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2009 16:58 |  #14

I use +2/3 FEC on my 580EX II just to get normal scenes to look right. With a wedding dress I would expect even more.

Flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | DIY Padded Insert

sponsored links

1,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
How high of FEC do you use when the bride is in the picture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.