Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jun 2005 (Saturday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Place To Buy?

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 11, 2005 08:12 |  #1

I have been researching for a good marco lens at a reasonable price and weight. I have concluded to get the Sigman 105/2.8 EX DG Macro. If I can get even close the the quality of some of the shots posted here I will be pleased.

I found this site to have the best price I could find. Has anybody bought from them and did the transaction go good?

(external link)

Would there be a better place to buy? This is $200 CDN cheaper than I can get it north of the 49th.

Thanks

-JIM-

sponsored links
mikesd
893 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 11, 2005 08:20 |  #2

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/seller2889.ht​ml (external link)

50D, 10D, XT, S3 IS, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 18-200, 18-55, 430EX II

BearLeeAlive
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 11, 2005 08:30 as a reply to  @ mikesd's post |  #3

Mike,
Thanks for that link. It seems to work even better than a google search for items for sale and store ratings.

Seems this vendor has a better rating that B&H does.

-JIM-

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 11, 2005 08:36 |  #4

I use B&H for just about everything...

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

mikesd
893 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 11, 2005 08:43 |  #5

I use B&H also, but with would not hesitate to order from DFC based on their reseller ratings.

50D, 10D, XT, S3 IS, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 18-200, 18-55, 430EX II

BearLeeAlive
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 11, 2005 08:49 as a reply to  @ mikesd's post |  #6

I wish they included Canadian resellers on their comparison list, but I do know who most of these are and can easily compare there prices. Some prices are quite good, others way higher.

-JIM-

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 11, 2005 09:37 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

B&H, Adorama, Keh, buydig.com, and Amazon are all reputable sellers. Sometimes dell.com has good deals, though the customer service is reportedly the pits. My personal preference is Amazon, due to their excellent customer service.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 11, 2005 13:30 as a reply to  @ liza's post |  #8

liza wrote:
B&H, Adorama, Keh, buydig.com, and Amazon are all reputable sellers. Sometimes dell.com has good deals, though the customer service is reportedly the pits. My personal preference is Amazon, due to their excellent customer service.

Is Adorama still reputable? Their rating at reselleratings has gone down the toilet.

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/seller1759.ht​ml (external link)

Amazon scores pretty poory also (but better than Adorama):

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/seller2077.ht​ml (external link)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Jarrad
801 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 11, 2005 18:11 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #9

BearLeeAlive wrote:
I wish they included Canadian resellers

Hi :)
I live in Canada and drool over American Prices as well.
When I shop online in Canada it's usually at Vistek.ca .
They Usually have the lowest prices and a very good pro section. No Sigma though. And if you buy from their Calgary store (over the phone, 800#) you'll save PST.

Next it's usually CameraCanada.com & Henrys.com.

When I buy from the states it's usually from 17photo.com (http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/seller1755.ht​ml (external link)). They usually have the lowest prices, by far the lowest shipping rates (and options) to Canada and have a great selection.

After them I usually check B&H.

Pricegrabber.ca lists Canadian stores.
Good Luck:)

.com (external link)

BearLeeAlive
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 12, 2005 08:08 as a reply to  @ Jarrad's post |  #10

I am in Calgary, so Vistek is the place I shop here. If I don't buy across the border I usually buy at Vistek, CameraCanada seems to have better prices on average, but I can usually get Vistek to come down enough to make it worthwile shopping local. I too have bought a couple of things from Henry's trough ebay.

I just wish their prices could be as good as those in the US of A.

-JIM-

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 12, 2005 11:42 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Bob,
In answer to your post, I buy from Adorama through the Amazon website (rather than directly from them) and have never had any problem. Same deal with Amazon. I've purchased from them many times and have always had prompt, reliable service. Though resellerratings.com might be a good place to start in terms of deciding where to buy gear, I'd talk to individuals who've dealt with them as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Hellashot
Goldmember
4,617 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 12, 2005 13:37 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

BearLeeAlive wrote:
I have been researching for a good marco lens at a reasonable price and weight. I have concluded to get the Sigman 105/2.8 EX DG Macro. If I can get even close the the quality of some of the shots posted here I will be pleased.

I found this site to have the best price I could find. Has anybody bought from them and did the transaction go good?
http://www.digitalfoto​club.com/sc/product-features.asp?id=964595​481
 (external link)
Thanks

This site is run operated as part of www.focuscamera.com (external link) and I've bought several times from both sites without problem. They often have the best prices from a reputable store. Usually have a lot better prices thatn B&H.

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

sponsored links

2,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Place To Buy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.