Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Nov 2009 (Friday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Umbrella/Flash mounts

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 27, 2009 13:28 |  #1

Im looking for a new umbrella flash mount. I have the impact stands now and think there mounts suck. I have a softbox and it doesnt stay up. It keeps falling sideways and moving around. The pole just doesnt get tight with little screw they have there. Is there any good ones that arent badly priced? Im using the westcott apollo softbox.

sponsored links
Big ­ G
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 27, 2009 13:45 |  #2

I bought a cheap chinese one via eBay. Not had any issues with it.

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2009 22:25 as a reply to  @ Big G's post |  #3

This is one of the best. Manfrotto 026 (Lite-Tite) $29.50

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vel_Umbrella_Ad​apter.html (external link)

Mufutau

qadsan
66 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 27, 2009 23:44 as a reply to  @ mufutau55's post |  #4

Calumet sells their own version of the Manfrotto 026 for a few bucks less. It's not the exact same product at the Manfrotto 026, but very similar. Either the Manfrotto 026 or this Calumet adapters will get the job done so you don't have to deal with 'SFB' (Soft Box Droop). There were some 026's for $16 shipped a few days on eBay, but that's about the best price I've seen.

http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/MF6830/ (external link)

Mark ­ Booth
393 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 28, 2009 01:26 |  #5

I have two of the Calumet Umbrella Swivels that qadsan linked and they work great. Nice and sturdy!

Mark

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."
-- Richard Avedon

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2009 04:15 as a reply to  @ Mark Booth's post |  #6

I've got a couple of these off eBay for my Speedlites and umbrellas..Cheap as chips and work a treat..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

AlexinS.A.
127 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 28, 2009 05:11 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #7

Got the same and works great. Unfortunatley not "cheap as chips" here where I live. Equavalent U.S $40.00 but we are used to getting ripped of here for anything photography related .

Alex Bond-Smith, Cape Town,South Africa. Canon 50D.Website http://www.alexbondsmi​thphotography.co.za/ (external link)

NoNameYet
181 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2009 06:33 as a reply to  @ AlexinS.A.'s post |  #8

I have 2 of those Yogestee shows in his post above, they work great yes, but for a very small price difference I bought another 4 from here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …&ssPageName=STR​K:MEWAX:IT (external link) which I think work even better.

These can also take up to 10mm (3/8") umbrella shafts, but the shoe mount is way better: smaller and more secure needing no adjustments at the thumbscrew. I did modify slightly though, and trimmed the small triangular tab on the cold shoe as it was difficult removing the flashgun with the pins dragging on it. This tab is actually meant to secure the flashgun in place, but if yours have a locking ring or the lock like on the 430EX II and 580 EX II and you actually lock them, there is no way it will slide off.

Trimming this tab with a sharp knife saves some nerves and possibly the contact pins. If needed ask and i will post images to show the 3 minute mod.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=7485389&post​count=1700

Macrosill
66 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 28, 2009 08:17 |  #9

I have 2 of these : http://cgi.ebay.com …ain_0?hash=item​1c0e328756 (external link)

The only thing I do not like about them is they do not have 1/4-20 threads to mount anything other than a hotshoe flash.

Thanks,
Brian

Mark ­ Booth
393 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 28, 2009 10:09 |  #10

It looks to me like all those eBay ones (starting with the ones yogestee posted) have an umbrella hole that is parallel with the cold shoe. In my opinion, it's better to pick an umbrella adapter that has an angled umbrella mounting hole. That way, the flash shoots into the center of the umbrella.

Mark

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."
-- Richard Avedon

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2009 10:39 |  #11

Yea i prob going to get the calumet one since its a lil cheaper then the one at BH

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 28, 2009 15:11 |  #12

Yogestee, do you have the ebay link to this adapter. Thanks.

Mufutau

yogestee wrote in post #9095029 (external link)
I've got a couple of these off eBay for my Speedlites and umbrellas..Cheap as chips and work a treat..

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2009 15:29 |  #13

It looks to me like all those eBay ones (starting with the ones yogestee posted) have an umbrella hole that is parallel with the cold shoe. In my opinion, it's better to pick an umbrella adapter that has an angled umbrella mounting hole. That way, the flash shoots into the center of the umbrella.

You are right but it still works OK..

Yogestee, do you have the ebay link to this adapter. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au …ories?hash=item​2a02f27e67 (external link)

Jurgen

NoNameYet
181 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2009 16:39 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #14

The ones Yogestee posted images of have the shoe angled instead of the umbrella shaft hole. I assume it does the same job of the angled hole. Look closely at the images, and you can clearly see that the top face of the plastic bracket where the aluminum shoe is mounted is in fact angled. I do not know if the angle is sufficient but it is there. I see it clearly visible in the images he posted. On the same note, I must say that on the other ones that I posted the link to they are parallel. I am sure about this difference as I have both models and I have checked to confirm what I knew.

I just like the more traditional mount on the ones I posted as I feel it is a safer mount for the flashgun. I wish I had the time to go down now to my small workshop and measure the angle, and also to shoot and post some side by side images that will explain it better.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=7485389&post​count=1700

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2009 16:43 |  #15

NoNameYet wrote in post #9097684 (external link)
The ones Yogestee posted images of have the shoe angled instead of the umbrella shaft hole. I assume it does the same job of the angled hole. Look closely at the images, and you can clearly see that the top face of the plastic bracket where the aluminum shoe is mounted is in fact angled. I do not know if the angle is sufficient but it is there. I see it clearly visible in the images he posted. On the same note, I must say that on the other ones that I posted the link to they are parallel. I am sure about this difference as I have both models and I have checked to confirm what I knew.

You are probably right but the flash fires slightly off centre into my umbrellas.. But this has more to do with the height of the flash head than the angle..

Still,,the results are very good.

Jurgen

sponsored links

1,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Umbrella/Flash mounts
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.