Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 02 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does this seem like a reasonable swap?

Nistelrooydude
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2009 09:19 |  #1

I have another couple questions. For those of you who have a Bludomain site: 1) If I host with Bludomain, will my address have to be something like henry.bludomain.com? 2) Why should/shouldn't I host with them?

I want to switch my site from SmugMug to Bludomain because to me, their sites seem more professional. So what I was considering doing is downgrading my SmugMug from Pro to Basic so I'd still have the images there, and then purchasing a site from Bludomain (I was leaning towards Lucille Ann, but the new Harvey site seems pretty nice too). Does this seem like a reasonable move or not? The link to my site is in my signature if you want to look at that for reference.

Thanks,
Henry

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 02, 2009 16:12 |  #2

You can totally customize your Smugmug site, so why not just stay? There customer service is top-notch and they have a great forum for help in customizing.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2009 18:19 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #3

I feel like the look of my site is too generic and I don't have the knowledge neccesary to make it special. The lack of flash is also a deterent for me.

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 02, 2009 19:29 |  #4

The new Harvey site is very nice. For $200 total investment, you really can't go wrong - $100 to own the template and $100 to have them host it for 1 year.

I have the Oscar site from Bludomain. I have never had a problem with them at all. I really like the option of adding a shopping cart to galleries and have them directed to paypal or e-mail me. And the option of offering different prices per gallery is very nice. The calendar is also a nice feature.

I have only uploaded small files to the site - usually less than 200kb per file. Mine are something like 1200x600 at 72 dpi so the initial getting your files ready for upload take the longest time. If I get orders, I just upload the original file to my printer - I like having control.

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2009 20:18 as a reply to  @ sf1's post |  #5

I'm pretty new to this web stuff. If I buy a domain with someone like Go Daddy, can I do some fancy maneuver and not have to pay the 1 year $100 thing and just the one time outside hosting $100 fee?

Hikin ­ Mike
6,354 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 02, 2009 22:32 |  #6

Nistelrooydude wrote in post #9123722 (external link)
I feel like the look of my site is too generic and I don't have the knowledge neccesary to make it special. The lack of flash is also a deterent for me.

You realize 100% flash site are not SEO friendly right.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2009 22:37 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #7

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a splash page fixes that issue.

Hikin ­ Mike
6,354 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 02, 2009 22:53 |  #8

Nistelrooydude wrote in post #9125207 (external link)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a splash page fixes that issue.

It helps, yes.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2009 23:17 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #9

Ok that's fine because this will mostly be a place for me to display my photos, not offer services.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 05, 2009 21:04 as a reply to  @ Nistelrooydude's post |  #10

I have another couple questions. For those of you who have a Bludomain site: 1) If I host with Bludomain, will my address have to be something like henry.bludomain.com? 2) Why should/shouldn't I host with them?

Dooms_day
509 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 07, 2009 11:41 |  #11

I would just find a free template online and spend the money on getting a real .com domain, much more professional imo

Canon EOS-1D mk ii + 70-200 4.0 USM L + Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4 + Nifty 50
500px (external link) - Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

1,517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does this seem like a reasonable swap?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.