Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stopped under"anti Terrorism LAw" for taking photos!!

Big ­ G
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 02, 2009 11:58 |  #1

Article seen in one of today's UK papers

Click here (external link)

Of course the editing is going to be somewhat biased, being the Daily Mail, but, still - stopped and quized for taking "too many photos"!!!!

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Big ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 02, 2009 12:00 |  #2

Its a differemnt incident Merlin. That was a BBC guy. this was "Jo Public"

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,721 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 03, 2009 19:27 |  #3

If you aint guilty of anything, what's the big deal about answering a few questions from courteous members of law enforcement who put their lives on the line for us every day?

me

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Dec 03, 2009 20:24 |  #4

I agree completely. Really this article is another example of sensationalism by the media.

MDJAK wrote in post #9130690 (external link)
If you aint guilty of anything, what's the big deal about answering a few questions from courteous members of law enforcement who put their lives on the line for us every day?

me

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 04, 2009 06:34 |  #5

MDJAK wrote in post #9130690 (external link)

me

rklepper wrote in post #9130997 (external link)
I agree completely. Really this article is another example of sensationalism by the media.

I think what annoys most people here about these incidents is what appears to be a bias against people with DSLR's. In many of these stories, a common comment is that people with P&S or camera phones aren't getting stopped in the same way.

That anti DSLR bias is one that sticks in my throat as any terrorist would not draw attention to themselves with a big camera. They would shoot with probably the smallest camera or camera phone in order to NOT draw attention.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

firesuite
133 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 07, 2009 20:13 |  #6

Ive been asked a few times to move on from buildings and skyscrapers in downtown Los Angeles before, I really don't see the problem, they ask me to move I go over the other side of the road and photograph from there.

I realize that America has been on anti terror overdrive since 9/11 but cmon, if im a terrorist or someone wanting to do harm to a company or building im hardly likely to show up outside the premises with a big hefty DSLR around my neck am I.

The internet is a great resource for photos and people who really want to cause trouble only have to look there.

My Portfolio - www.grahamgilmore.com (external link)
Chernobyl Zone photography (external link)
Fine Art Photography Prints (external link)
5D | 5D mkIII | 16-35L | 24-105L | 100 Macro L | 70-200/2.8L | 580 EX II | Leica M9 | 35mm and 50mm Summicron | Holga 120s

neeko
Miss Film 2015
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 07, 2009 22:10 |  #7

I was stopped a number of times when in the U.K. for bag checks. I was also forbidden to take pictures on bridges here in NY.

| Gear | Feedback | DA (external link) | NG (external link) | Flickr (external link) | UCPC | Pie |

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 08, 2009 15:54 |  #8

neeko wrote in post #9154767 (external link)
I was stopped a number of times when in the U.K. for bag checks. I was also forbidden to take pictures on bridges here in NY.

the last time i tried taking a picture of the Verrazano bridge here in NYC at 3am LOL ... i was stopped and a few days later .. Home Land Security unit paid me a visit ...

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2009 16:22 |  #9

tsw910 wrote in post #9159614 (external link)
the last time i tried taking a picture of the Verrazano bridge here in NYC at 3am LOL ... i was stopped and a few days later .. Home Land Security unit paid me a visit ...

And people say we are overdoing it!!:rolleyes:

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
My Gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2009 16:27 |  #10

tsw910 wrote in post #9159614 (external link)

Hope you showed them a nice print...

Seriously, having some of your work handy can difuse a lot of situations.

I always keep a dozen or so of my best aviation shots on my iPhone. You'be be suprised how security backs off when they see what you're capable of capturing. Many of them have never even considered that an aircraft can be caputred in an artistic fashion given the right angle and light.

It makes much more sense to them why you are where you are and why that time of day is good when they can see the results. ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2009 16:31 |  #11

A good idea Jay.

Hopefully Homeland Security agree that photography for its own sake is a worthy enough pursuit for TSW's sake.

My Gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2009 16:33 |  #12

neilwood32 wrote in post #9159833 (external link)
A good idea Jay.

Hopefully Homeland Security agree that photography for its own sake is a worthy enough pursuit for TSW's sake.

Well, if you show them you are participating in the Constitutionally-protected activity of Freedom of Expression rather than make them guess what you did with the pictures, it generally works out much better in the long run. ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,122 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2009 16:45 |  #13

i'd stop him too :)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 09, 2009 12:20 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #14

neilwood32 wrote in post #9159765 (external link)
And people say we are overdoing it!!:rolleyes:

this is what happens when you're a night person LOL

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #9159798 (external link)
Hope you showed them a nice print...

Seriously, having some of your work handy can difuse a lot of situations.

I always keep a dozen or so of my best aviation shots on my iPhone. You'be be suprised how security backs off when they see what you're capable of capturing. Many of them have never even considered that an aircraft can be caputred in an artistic fashion given the right angle and light.

It makes much more sense to them why you are where you are and why that time of day is good when they can see the results. ;)

neilwood32 wrote in post #9159833 (external link)
A good idea Jay.

well .. this happened like maybe after a year or so after 9/11 .. so they were all up at arms with this stuff .. but honestly, i dont blame them and they didn't give me a hard time. they just wanted to talk to me and ask a few questions .. when i spoke to them, the investigator mentioned that it really didn't matter what i say or would say .. they already knew everything about me before the visit .. they just wanted to see how i would react to such a "visit" LOL

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 10, 2009 06:49 |  #15

tsw910 wrote in post #9165027 (external link)
well .. this happened like maybe after a year or so after 9/11 .. so they were all up at arms with this stuff .. but honestly, i dont blame them and they didn't give me a hard time. they just wanted to talk to me and ask a few questions .. when i spoke to them, the investigator mentioned that it really didn't matter what i say or would say .. they already knew everything about me before the visit .. they just wanted to see how i would react to such a "visit" LOL

Thats the bit that would worry me - that they knew everthing? :eek:

Note to self : Check in rear view mirror more often and look for big lenses watching me........ oh wait - im at an airshow, theres supposed to be big lenses!

My Gear

sponsored links

1,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stopped under"anti Terrorism LAw" for taking photos!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.