Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing for magazine...???

flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 02, 2009 23:18 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Need some help from those who have done cropping for magazine print...

The guidelines I have are:

files should be Adobe RGB 1998 . tiff files-
the book size will be 9.125 x 11 (meaning horizontal spreads should be 18.25 x 11")
300 dpi.

Am I correct if I just export my edited shots to .tiff with those dimensions? (do not make images larger, checked)

or

crop them in LR with custom aspect ratio and export full size?

Sorry, new to this!

My problem with cropping in LR, parts of my images are cut that make the image what it is. Can I add to the original image to make the ratio crop better?

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,192 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 03, 2009 03:21 |  #2

Croping to the ratio that it is being published will lose you some of your image.

Generally, the publishers will crop to suit the subject &/or whatever page layout they are looking for.

However, in an attempt to have them leave the image as you would like it to be seen, crop it to their ratio whilst making the image look as good compositionally (is this even a word? :rolleyes:) as you can.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2009 05:45 |  #3

So the pages are nothing but the image(s)? No mention of allowing for bleed? Tiff files saved in Mac or IBM PC Byte Order?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2009 05:58 |  #4

As a designer, personally I'd prefer the image not to be cropped, as long as it's larger than the page size I can then position it where I need it... this is assuming there is copy to go over it etc. (If not then feel free to ignore me)

As has been said if you do crop you should add 3mm all round for bleed (IBM or mac tiff files shouldnt make a difference)

Justin
website (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link) | blog (external link)
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

flipstyle72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 03, 2009 08:42 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, they will be full page printed.

Here's another question... The way the image is, If i crop to that aspect ratio (as someone mentioned) I'll loose some of my image. I assume I can expand the image edges with some sort of fill so that the crop will fit more of "MY" shot and just have an outer border... correct?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

918 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing for magazine...???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.