Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 07:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D vs 5D

laydros
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2009 07:49 |  #1

I know, search... but I did and with the 5Dii showing up so much, I haven't found a ton of info.

I'm flirting with the idea of selling off my 40D+grip+Tamron 17-50 to come close to having the money for a used 5D.

I shoot all kinds of stuff. I find myself shooting sports once in a while where the 40D would clearly be better, but my major areas are art, portraiture, and just family stuff for fun (my daughter is starting to stand, will be walking within a couple of months). I currently find myself shooting my film cameras often for that "look" which I think has a lot to do with the 35mm frame and I am expecting from a 5D.

I realize the 5D will be better for portraiture, or if I shoot any more weddings, and the added depth of field is nice for art photography. I have a pretty good grip on the difference in the fps and AF, and think I am totally fine with that for what gains in high ISO and shallower depth of field. But in terms of the fact that the 5D is an older generation camera, what will I loose from the 40D. I think the 5D doesn't have the dust reduction sensor, doesn't show the ISO in the VF, has the older menu system (maybe?) and a smaller screen.

Is there anything else I am missing. What is the auto ISO range, I use that a lot on the 40D? Is the weather sealing better or worse compared to the 40D?

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.

sponsored links
versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2009 07:55 |  #2

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=790185 ;)

Gear List

Michael

emtp563
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2009 07:56 |  #3

The 5D has no auto ISO. I believe that was introduced by Canon starting with the 40D. I think you passed your window on getting a 5D. The baby is still reasonably slow and still- perfect for the 5D. Keep in mind, as the kid learns to walk he/she will be moving faster and more unpredictably. This is where the AF on the 40D would excel.

If you want that 35mm "film grain" look, then get a cheap 1D "Classic" and shoot high ISO with that, LOL.

*cameras: Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 1D "Classic" | Canon S95
*lenses: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 | Canon 24-70L f/2.8 | Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS | Canon 1.4x TC II
*accessories: Canon 580EX II/430EX | Quantum Turbo SC | CP-E4
http://www.cyclingcapt​ured.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/cyclingcaptured (external link)

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2009 08:24 |  #4

emtp563 wrote in post #9126870 (external link)
If you want that 35mm "film grain" look, then get a cheap 1D "Classic" and shoot high ISO with that, LOL.

Ha. I think the grain can be nice in some cases, but I think it may have more to do with DOF. For example, this picture had an interesting quality due to ISO 800 grain, but there is another "3d" type effect with it as well:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/4070229522_91a89d4e06.jpg

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 03, 2009 09:26 |  #5

laydros wrote in post #9126840 (external link)
I know, search... but I did and with the 5Dii showing up so much, I haven't found a ton of info.

I'm flirting with the idea of selling off my 40D+grip+Tamron 17-50 to come close to having the money for a used 5D.

I shoot all kinds of stuff. I find myself shooting sports once in a while where the 40D would clearly be better, but my major areas are art, portraiture, and just family stuff for fun (my daughter is starting to stand, will be walking within a couple of months). I currently find myself shooting my film cameras often for that "look" which I think has a lot to do with the 35mm frame and I am expecting from a 5D.

I realize the 5D will be better for portraiture, or if I shoot any more weddings, and the added depth of field is nice for art photography. I have a pretty good grip on the difference in the fps and AF, and think I am totally fine with that for what gains in high ISO and shallower depth of field. But in terms of the fact that the 5D is an older generation camera, what will I loose from the 40D. I think the 5D doesn't have the dust reduction sensor, doesn't show the ISO in the VF, has the older menu system (maybe?) and a smaller screen.

Is there anything else I am missing. What is the auto ISO range, I use that a lot on the 40D? Is the weather sealing better or worse compared to the 40D?

You are like me. I went from a 40D to a 5D and never looked back. The center point on the 5D is plenty good for fast focusing and is terrific in low light. To my eye, the difference in the images captured were immediately obvious. The operation is slower, no doubt about it, (kerplunk) shooting sports on servo is idiotic on the 5D. But the 5D is very kind to lenses. You will be surprised at how good things look. It is also clearly one stop more usable at high ISO.

The whole process of using the 5D feels to be to be more 'camera-like'. My 40D was a paperweight once I got the 5D. The other thing to consider is that the 24-104 is a perfect walk around lens for the 5D and is sharp as a tack at f/4.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

swidjaja
395 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 03, 2009 09:58 |  #6

After half a year of upgrade, here are my experience with 5D:
- Love the cleaner high-iso (And low iso) IQ
- Dislike the poorer and slower AF performance
- Don't miss the live view, 6fps
- Miss the auto dust-cleaning feature
- Love everything else (dof, etc)

6D + enough lenses for now.

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2009 14:09 |  #7

Any information on weathersealing/build? I was previously under the impression that the 5D/5Dii and 40D/50D were pretty much built to the same standards, but when the 7D was announced I saw several people say that it was build to the 5D/5Dii standards. I took that to imply that the 40/50D wasn't as durable/weatherproof.

braidkid
371 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 03, 2009 15:13 as a reply to  @ laydros's post |  #8

The build of the 7D is superb. It is the best built aside from the 1D series. It was more solid than my 5Dii and 40D. That's one thing I miss about the 7D. I'd say the build of my 5Dii and 40D are fairly similar.

5Dii, 16-35 f4L, 50f1.4, 580ex II, 430ex II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/braidkid/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D vs 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.