Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 03 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Major venues with their own strobes?What settings are they getting?

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2009 09:33 |  #1

Noticed at major venues(like NCAA basketball) that ALL the photogs are using Pocket Wizards and sharing the strobes mounted "in the rafters" and supplied by the arenas.

Does anyone know what kind of shutter speeds,ISO,apertures these guys are getting?Most are using Nikon or Canon 70-200mm f2.8 lenses.

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2009 09:39 |  #2

It varies from arena to arena. But I know at the ones I have been to has been around 1/250 5,6 ISO 500, I think. Ill have to check some of my shots.

David W.

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2009 10:32 |  #3

Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy is around 1/250 ISO 400 f/7.1 from what I remember.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

frule
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2009 11:41 |  #4

Not too bad!The arena I'm closest to is Thompson-Boling Arena at the University of Tennessee.It's a huge arena,much like the larger NBA arenas(was built for over 25,000 capacity originally).The lighting overhead(tungsten) is state-of-the-art,but still not good at all for sports photography.I assume the strobes allow reasonable settings at decent iso.

The huge 4-sided scoreboard doesn't help things either as it's brightness is constantly making big swings in the amount of available light as well as the WB.I sit in the stands,but very close to floor level.I just found out that I can get a photographer's pass from my friend....the S.I.D.,if I push for it-but it's a major favor(and one I would not do often).So I might just take a PocketWizard and shoot some from my seat.I guess that would work?

SportsOnFilm
157 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 03, 2009 12:16 |  #5

Just to clarify, not every photographer with Pocket Wizards is using them to fire strobes. Many of them are using them to fire remote cameras.

As for the strobes and what settings, as previously stated every arena is different. There are many factors that come into play, such as the amount of ambient light, the distance from the floor to the catwalk where the strobes are mounted, the type of strobes, etc.

Also, one last tip - one of the FASTEST ways to make sure you are NEVER allowed to shoot a game again in any arena is to just show up with a Pocket Wizard and "poach" the strobes, meaning you search for which frequency the receiver is set to and then "borrow" the strobes. Strobes are very sensative AND expensive pieces of equipment. If you have never shot on strobes before, they take time to recycle between each firing. Again, depending on the model of strobes and their power settings it can take anywhere from 2-4 seconds between shots for the lights to get back up to full power. If you just keep firing away, you can blow not only the flash tubes but also the power packs. I know this because the arena in Winston-Salem rented their strobes to a movie company who was doing some filming inside the arena, and the person responsible for "firing" the strobes just kept pushing the buttons on the Pocket Wizards as fast as he could. Arena staff told me that he blew out so many flash tubes that there was glass raining down onto the seats below. To this day the lights have never been the same, and I am lucky if there is one complete set of 4 lights that work for me when covering Wake Forest basketball.

rian Westerholt (external link)
www.sportsonfilm.com (external link)
www.fourseamimages.com (external link)
2 - Mark IV bodies, 400/2.8 IS, 300/2.8 IS, 70-200, 28-70, 16-35, 15mm fisheye, 580 EX

MT
453 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 03, 2009 12:16 |  #6

frule wrote in post #9128054 (external link)
So I might just take a PocketWizard and shoot some from my seat.I guess that would work?

BAD IDEA. Those strobes are typically owned by media outlets, they will not look fondly upon you "borrowing" their lights.

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 03, 2009 12:53 |  #7

frule wrote in post #9128054 (external link)
I just found out that I can get a photographer's pass from my friend....the S.I.D.,if I push for it-but it's a major favor(and one I would not do often).So I might just take a PocketWizard and shoot some from my seat.I guess that would work?

You absolutely should not take a PocketWizard. The strobes will already be spoken for. Unless you are the UT shooter, shooting for SI, shooting for AP/Reuters, or with the Sentinel, you won't be "strobe worthy". Firing the strobes while credentialed but not given permission to use the strobes is going to be a quick way for Tom or Bud to deny you access.

But just in case you do decide to ask and you get a pass, remember you are going to be restricted to the baseline. Never go behind the team benches. Also know were you stand in the pecking order. This isn't youth sports where you can say I was here first. If someone higher up tells you to move, you better move.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2009 13:15 |  #8

jacuff wrote in post #9128460 (external link)
You absolutely should not take a PocketWizard. The strobes will already be spoken for. Unless you are the UT shooter, shooting for SI, shooting for AP/Reuters, or with the Sentinel, you won't be "strobe worthy". Firing the strobes while credentialed but not given permission to use the strobes is going to be a quick way for Tom or Bud to deny you access.

But just in case you do decide to ask and you get a pass, remember you are going to be restricted to the baseline. Never go behind the team benches. Also know were you stand in the pecking order. This isn't youth sports where you can say I was here first. If someone higher up tells you to move, you better move.

pretty much sums it up....

to the op,

Dont do something stupid like use a PW and the lights that do not belong to you. You WILL get kicked out, and most likely never be allowed in again.

David W.

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 03, 2009 13:20 |  #9

SportsOnFilm wrote in post #9128270 (external link)
Also, one last tip - one of the FASTEST ways to make sure you are NEVER allowed to shoot a game again in any arena is to just show up with a Pocket Wizard and "poach" the strobes, meaning you search for which frequency the receiver is set to and then "borrow" the strobes.

Just curious, as I've never used Pocket Wizards...how many possible channel settings are there on a PW setup?

Gear List

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2009 13:25 |  #10

ToddR wrote in post #9128594 (external link)
Just curious, as I've never used Pocket Wizards...how many possible channel settings are there on a PW setup?

4.... but it all depends on the type of PW you get...

David W.

DHMN
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 03, 2009 13:28 |  #11

It's interesting to me how many threads I've seen where people actually had to be told not to try and use the arena's strobes.. it just seems like common sense doesn't it?

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 03, 2009 13:33 |  #12

The Plus II only has 4 channels. They are good for use around your own studio or places where they won't be any photographers (or more than 3 others) using PW. The MultiMAX and the Flex has 32 channels with channels 17-32 having 4 sub-channels or zones. 17A is different from 17B, etc. This means it is possible to have up to 80 different people using PocketWizards.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2009 13:40 |  #13

You can also send in your set of PW's and have them loaded with a custom channel so you don't have to worry about conflicts and poachers.

Many of the big venues that have dedicated strobes also use a different and much more sophisticated triggering system than PW's.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

frule
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2009 14:36 |  #14

jacuff wrote in post #9128460 (external link)

I absolutely was NOT going to "poach" the strobes.I'd clear anything with Bud Ford or Higdon, even just shooting from the stands(know both since high school).I also have KNS connections(my dad worked there for 40 years).I just don't want to push it with these connections,as I realize that the photogs on the baseline are there as part of their job and I'd be an interloper............​.Some of the assumptions made in this thread about my intentions are incorrect.I'm just looking for information about doing this the right way......and NOT stepping on toes(that's why I have not taken Bud Ford up on his generous offer for temp credentials).That's the reason I brought up shooting from my seat(I'd NOT be in the way of the media photogs).

SportsOnFilm
157 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 03, 2009 14:45 |  #15

frule wrote in post #9129052 (external link)
I absolutely was NOT going to "poach" the strobes.I'd clear anything with Bud Ford or Higdon, even just shooting from the stands(know both since high school).I also have KNS connections(my dad worked there for 40 years).I just don't want to push it with these connections,as I realize that the photogs on the baseline are there as part of their job and I'd be an interloper............​.Some of the assumptions made in this thread about my intentions are incorrect.I'm just looking for information about doing this the right way......and NOT stepping on toes(that's why I have not taken Bud Ford up on his generous offer for temp credentials).That's the reason I brought up shooting from my seat(I'd NOT be in the way of the media photogs).

I never made any assumptions, but with your choice of words I just wanted to make it clear to you and other aspiring photographers who read these forums that the strobes you see in use are usually owned by someone and they are not for general use. Now, some buildings may have strobes available for rent, and depending on the building that can run anywhere from $100 to $500 per event.

rian Westerholt (external link)
www.sportsonfilm.com (external link)
www.fourseamimages.com (external link)
2 - Mark IV bodies, 400/2.8 IS, 300/2.8 IS, 70-200, 28-70, 16-35, 15mm fisheye, 580 EX

sponsored links

2,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
Major venues with their own strobes?What settings are they getting?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.