Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jun 2005 (Monday) 03:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Resolution to my Resolution issue?

Goondockjeff
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 13, 2005 03:12 |  #1

Hiya folks.

I have to 20D and use two different lenses "one is an L glass lens the 70 - 200 f4 and the other is a tamron 28 - 70 DI XR"

I have been a shooting machine since getting the camera but I had not noticed until recently that a lot of the images I capture are coming out at lower max resolutions. I have the camera set at the largest .jpg setting as I do not know enough about RAW yet, however I am often ending up with photos in the 1024 x 683 range or the 1280 x 853 range. I dont get it? I put a lot of my stuff up on flickr and I see folks with much lower megapixels getting higher resolution photos! YIKES! HELP!?!?!

Canon 5d Mark II

sponsored links
MrThanh
24 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2005 04:06 |  #2

Just double check the image size whenever you change shooting modes. Every mode remembers the last size/quality setting that you input for that particular mode.

Canon 20D
EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II
EF 50mm f1.8
Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di
Tokina 12-24 f4 ATX Pro

dhbailey
328 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 13, 2005 06:45 |  #3

A possible problem is that you have set the CustomFunction1 to option 1, so that when you press the SET button it changes the Resolution. I had mine set that way, thinking I would use it to switch easily between RAW and jpgL-fine, only to find that I forgot I had it set that way and kept accidentally changing the resolution when I didn't want to.

Check that possibility.

David
===============
Cameras: S3is and 20D
Canon 18-55 kit lens, 50mm 1.8, 75-300 USM IS
Tamron 28-75 F2.8, 420EX flash

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 13, 2005 08:52 as a reply to  @ dhbailey's post |  #4

Yes, just in case no one mentions it - 3504 X 2336 is what they should be (largest .jpg 20D)

GEAR LIST

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2005 20:24 |  #5

Just leave it on Large/Fine JPG, if it ever comes out as different it's only because you've changed it. There aren't many good reasons to change down from max resolution.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

aam1234
Goldmember
4,132 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 13, 2005 22:36 |  #6

Have a question. If in you are say in jpeg L/F, does the resolution varies from pic to pic (depending on the subject) or is it fixed no matter what the subject is.

wolf
738 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 13, 2005 23:08 as a reply to  @ aam1234's post |  #7

Yes, file size will vary from photo to photo. I have seen files on my 20D vary as much as 3 mpg (JPG) shooting in Raw plus JPG format using the same identical settings etc, but shooting different scenes. I have seen only about 1mpg difference in the Raw files when shooting various scenes.

<> My Gear <>

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2005 23:58 |  #8

File size will vary, the number of pixels on one side will never vary if you stay on Large. Medium and small jpgs will have less pixels.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

aam1234
Goldmember
4,132 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 14, 2005 07:13 |  #9

Thanks Wolf. I was referring to what Tim said.

Ok, another question. How do you know what pixel dimensions does your camera produce (at different settings).

cecilc
588 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 14, 2005 07:50 as a reply to  @ aam1234's post |  #10

I can think of two ways to do that ....

The more involved way is to take a shot in each of the recording modes and check the pixel diimensions ....

But the easy way is to look in your manual (Page 46). I haven't seen a Canon user manual yet that didn't have a table of the recording modes available with the corresponding pixel dimensions .....

Cecil
SportsShooter Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

2,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
Resolution to my Resolution issue?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.