Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 Dec 2009 (Friday) 00:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Two cameras two lenses and speedlights

andrersa
48 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 04, 2009 00:39 |  #1

Hi,

I shoot with two 5D bodies, one attached with 24-70 L and the other attached with 70-200 F2.8 IS L. When needed for the church shots I have a 580 EX II on the one body and a 430 EX on the other body. I do find it difficult to move around with the flash on the second body hanging from my shoulder but it works good for when I need to quickly flip between the bodies for the longer or shorter lens. Do any of you that carry more than one camera body use one flash and just put it on the body that you need or do you also have a flash one each camera body?

What is your method of carrying the two cameras? I have the one I'm using around my shoulder and the other hanging over my left shoulder.

Compact flash cards in my shirt pocket and spare batteries and backup lenses in my backpack which I put in the church out of the way of guests.

Thanks
Andre

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 04, 2009 01:03 |  #2

I plan on getting the Cotton Carrier this Christmas for a 2 camera setup. Search for it and im sure you will be impressed enough to buy it.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

andrersa
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 04, 2009 03:07 |  #3

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #9132433 (external link)
I plan on getting the Cotton Carrier this Christmas for a 2 camera setup. Search for it and im sure you will be impressed enough to buy it.

Thanks. Looks great. How do you handle the flash situation though? Swap flash around between bodies or two flashes?

Patrick
596 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 04, 2009 08:52 as a reply to  @ andrersa's post |  #4

I use a Black Rapid strap sometimes on a second body without flashes. It's worth a look, maybe it'll be what you need.
http://www.blackrapid.​com/ (external link)

Bodies, Lenses, Lights, Stands, Transmitters, Receivers, Tripods, Meters, etc...

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2009 09:21 |  #5

I made my own version of the rapid strap. Its basically a luggage strap bought from walmart for $4, a seatbelt cushion for padding that was $3, a metal 2" D ring that is attached to a snap hook that attached to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. Its homemade but is heavy duty and works great. I have both my cameras with flashes attached and they dont get in the way. The camera and flash hangs upside down by my side. I can't justify spending the $50 or so for the rapid strap that does the same thing.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Dec 04, 2009 10:22 |  #6

i shoot with two bodies.. and i find taking the time to put a flash on the other body is really annoying. SO im saving up for another flash so i can just shoot all day long with two bodies, and not worry about wasting time in changing flash units around.

whatever is less time consuming works better.

I find that while some weddings are really slow, and you can take your time in experimenting and stuff.. a lot of weddings move fast, and anytime spent working on changing the flash over is a waste of time when you could have been shooting.

Thats just my outlook.

Shannon

tim
Light Bringer
50,994 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 04, 2009 16:07 |  #7

OpTech pro loop strap (same as the POTN strap that you can buy to support POTN). I throw away the middle bit and use the small loop, it fits nicely over my shoulder and nothing bangs around.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

booboo
333 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 07, 2009 02:51 |  #8

I use the crumbler industry disgrace on both my 40D with 17-55 2.8 IS and 70-200 2.8 IS with both 430EX II attached on the cameras when I cannot use OCF flashes on the reception or ceremony if permitted... they are contoured on my shoulders with no problem with a heavy gripped 40D bodies (both)

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 07, 2009 06:52 |  #9

andrersa wrote in post #9132353 (external link)
I shoot with two 5D bodies, one attached with 24-70 L and the other attached with 70-200 F2.8 IS L. When needed for the church shots I have a 580 EX II on the one body and a 430 EX on the other body. I do find it difficult to move around with the flash on the second body hanging from my shoulder but it works good for when I need to quickly flip between the bodies for the longer or shorter lens. Do any of you that carry more than one camera body use one flash and just put it on the body that you need or do you also have a flash one each camera body?

What is your method of carrying the two cameras? I have the one I'm using around my shoulder and the other hanging over my left shoulder.

I pretty much carry the same thing. (except 24-105 & both 580II's) I just deal with it. It's a tool. I don't baby the stuff, but I don't neglect it either. Speed is your friend when you're paid to produce.

sponsored links

1,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Two cameras two lenses and speedlights
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.