Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to improve.

Crazy ­ Horse
215 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2009 11:27 |  #1

Hello all,

For Christmas this year, I will be giving out prints from my recent travels in South America to family. In return, my present from them will be a donation to an orphanage in Peru where I spent two months doing volunteer work.

My mother wanted a print of this photo. It will be printed as an 8x10.

I am looking some more ideas/ways to possibly improve this image.

I can post the original as well if it helps - but first, I would rather see if anyone picks up on the edited bits.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/4172328006_ac7d1e8aa4_o.jpg

Thanks for any comments/help.

Canon 40d, 20d / Canon EF-S 10-22mm / Canon EF 24-105 L / Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS / Siggy 30mm 1.4 / Canon Speedlite 580ex II
www.tworollingwheels.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2009 11:39 |  #2

Well, to me the foreground looks great. The background, of course has that hazy distant mountain look.

Depending on the software you are using, you can apply an adjustment layer (Photoshop) with a gradient mask for high contrast and saturation applied to the background and play with that or, if you are using Lightroom you can use the gradient tool and actually have some nice options for how it will work on your photo. And, with either Photoshop or Lightroom, you have the freedom to brush out or erase parts of your adjustments that adversely affect, say, the people in the foreground.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Crazy ­ Horse
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2009 11:53 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

I use both CS4 and Lightroom.

Yes, the background is quite hazy. I will give this a shot, and post the results when I can!

Thank you very much!

Canon 40d, 20d / Canon EF-S 10-22mm / Canon EF 24-105 L / Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS / Siggy 30mm 1.4 / Canon Speedlite 580ex II

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2009 11:59 |  #4

That's a very nice photo...it appears that they were waiting for a boat to cross the lake?

I was born in Guyana on the Atlantic coast of South America and although the culture, etc. is entirely different I can really relate to this photo.

Gear List

Crazy ­ Horse
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2009 13:26 as a reply to  @ PixelMagic's post |  #5

Hey PixelMagic, they were actually looking towards a bunch of of tourists who were visiting their island.. on the boat.

I'll post the original to show.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/4172587722_fcb30848d7_o.jpg

And the latest edit using the steps found on here.
http://retouchpro.com/​tutorials/?m=show&id=2​64 (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/4172576912_044c5c5466_o.jpg

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2009 13:33 |  #6

I'd print it exactly as you have shown it to us. My immediate thought was to lose a fraction on each side and the bottom, but on seconds thoughts don't. The haze creates a better feel of the distance to me.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2009 13:35 |  #7

Crazy Horse,

You've got some better contrast on the background, but a couple suggestions:

Your edit darkened the blues -- I'd suggest using one or two of the adjustment layer tools for adjusting the Blue channel to brighten and saturate things a bit, but use a mask so you don't mess with the foreground figures. The water and the blue portions of the sky can use touching up, though.

Try doing something similar to the mountains, mess with the Red and Yellow channels to get them looking more "crisp".

You can do similar things in Lightroom using brushes and the variou options to selectively adjust sections, etc.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ladolcevita
76 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 09, 2009 13:45 |  #8

Well, now that I know it's not real, the water all the way to the right could be improved upon a little. In the rest of the picture the water is smoother further out from the people, and gets more choppy as you get closer. Good cloning though, I probably wouldn't have picked up on it if you hadn't posted the original. :)

Angela
50D * 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM * Nifty Fifty * 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 09, 2009 16:25 |  #9

Re the original vs edit, the original is nice to my eye. Better colors and contrast.

Re 8x10 you'll have to cut things off or extend the foreground and background. An 8x12 wouldn't require cropping.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Crazy ­ Horse
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2009 20:45 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

Alrighty! I think I am back to this!
I fixed the issues with the water cloning. I adjusted the levels of the mountains to bring out the yellow a bit more.

hmmm, I think I went back in a circle with this one.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2529/4173362836_14d831e3e7_o.jpg

Tim, this one seems to be closer to the original, of course, with the people removed ;)

Ah yes, you're right. An 8x12 would be fine.

sponsored links

1,175 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to improve.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.