Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR Video - Camera Shake

Iamcuddles
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2009 12:07 |  #1

Playing around with the T1i and discovered that my 70-200mm L seems heavier than the camer itself! haha. When I was using the focus ring, I got bad camera shake at the 200mm end. I was using a tripod. Anyone having similar difficulties with any video on DSLRs and zoom lenses? Anything I can do to help limit the shake? I know I can go into After Effects and use track motion to limit it, but I'd rather stay out of programs I didn't pay for ;)

sponsored links
Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 09, 2009 12:25 |  #2

Iamcuddles wrote in post #9164950 (external link)
Playing around with the T1i and discovered that my 70-200mm L seems heavier than the camer itself! haha. When I was using the focus ring, I got bad camera shake at the 200mm end. I was using a tripod. Anyone having similar difficulties with any video on DSLRs and zoom lenses? Anything I can do to help limit the shake? I know I can go into After Effects and use track motion to limit it, but I'd rather stay out of programs I didn't pay for ;)

Image Stabilization

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2009 12:29 |  #3

What type of pan head are you using? Shooting smooth video is much easier with a fluid head or a type the actually creates some resistance against you. Sounds counter-intuitive but it's true.

One problem being reported with IS is that the body picks up the sound of the IS motor humming.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2009 12:29 |  #4

I thought that the new iMovie was able to remove camera shake somehow.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

charliec
524 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2009 12:35 |  #5

Erik_L wrote in post #9165074 (external link)
I thought that the new iMovie was able to remove camera shake somehow.

Based on my limited usage of it, I think it tracks objects through frames and crops out as much of the frames as is necessary to keep the desired object in a fixed position. The downside is it is discarding image data and lowering image quality. It'll correct mild camera shake with minimal impact, but substantial camera shake means it would have to crop a lot of frame out.

bangarang
539 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 09, 2009 12:37 |  #6

If you mount via the tripod ring on the lens, you will have less shake. Plus, you can't handhold a telephoto with a VDSLR for long periods of time and expect a quality shot. Most of us who shoot video either use tripods or monopods to help with stabilization. IS is a 100% must have on telephotos for video. HUGE difference.

I mount via the camera mounted tripod plate and have no shake, but I use IS ;).

Trying to eliminate CMOS camera shake is a pain in post.

RED Epic-W 8K + Canon Cinema EOS 1DC

Trey ­ T
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 09, 2009 13:13 |  #7

I have borrowed 70-200 f/2.8 IS w/ 1.4x extender for several shots, ~20hrs or so, and at the end of the zoom, It's pretty critical to get a steady shot.

W/o the IS, I have to set the pan and tilt pretty tight to prevent shakiness. I have trained several ppl to shoot w/ me and it's something you ahve to get used to and know hwo to work the tripod and setup. All the 70-200mm f/2.8 we have are non-IS.

If I were to choose which IS or non-IS to shoot w/, the IS will be the winner.

10 Most overpaid job (external link)

Iamcuddles
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2009 13:15 |  #8

Crappy. I've got no zoom IS lenses. I have a 80 dollar tripod, so I dont think I can swap heads on it. Here is a link, you should be able to tell the shot Im talking about.

http://vimeo.com/80683​30 (external link)

dcarstens
31 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 09, 2009 13:25 |  #9

Especially with zoom lenses, the form factor of DSLRs are not conducive to handheld motion video shooting. Lens IS will help, but you really want to get some type of shoulder support system to take out the wobble in your handling. Using your shoulder as a point of contact will help an infinite amount. Try looking at Bush Hawk shoulder mounts or supports made for prosumer video cameras.

Also, you actually want to turn the lens IS to OFF when on a tripod. The IS will try to compensate for your pan/tilt, making them the video jumpy when you do so.

sponsored links

3,299 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR Video - Camera Shake
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.