Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50D, 85 1.8 & B-Ball

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 10:22 |  #1

So there was a b-ball game last night grabed my camera and went out to just take a few shots.. there is someone that does the middle school sports photography. standing near him he had flash on camera and I was just shooting available lights.
I just got my Canon 50D last month and wanted to try out.
If I can bring my strobes in next time I will try that out too.. two Sigma speed lights and cybercyncs remotes.
some PP on these and of course the lights from above that recycled on me when I was shooting... C&C is welcome of course.
I find this camera combo very tight for under the net shots with the 85mm on a crop body.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2009 13:07 |  #2

C&C: You need: Face, ball, tack-sharp focus, action, tight-cropping

The first photo is great photo of line dancing, but not of basketball.
In 2nd photo, ball is out of focus. Central defensive player has his hands cut-off. Not a keeper.

Both photos might be able to use some sharpening as in "unsharp mask".

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2009 14:11 |  #3

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #9171744 (external link)

In 2nd photo, ball is out of focus. Central defensive player has his hands cut-off. Not a keeper.

I don't totally disagree with your analysis but the oof ball is a depth of field issue that is what it is. Get the ball in focus and your subject is oof, its a tradeoff and in this case, I think the OP made the right choice.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 14:12 |  #4

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #9171744 (external link)

LOL...some of them line dance better than playing basketball...LOL
the second one you are right very tight in the corner and with that 85mm lens that how it came to camera... #33' mom wanted as many photo of him that I can get... I need to dig through other images...
thanks
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2009 14:23 |  #5

namasste wrote in post #9172117 (external link)
I don't totally disagree with your analysis but the oof ball is a depth of field issue that is what it is. Get the ball in focus and your subject is oof, its a tradeoff and in this case, I think the OP made the right choice.

I don't totally disagree with your analysis, but the photographer can adjust depth-of-field by using a different aperture setting and compensate by changing ISO or shutter speed. :)

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 14:32 |  #6

Sure I see what you are saying but in this case I wanted to put all the attention on player #33.
if a kid is making a shot then I want it all on him...just beacuse of the type of photo that I am after...like this one.
SS 1/400 F1.8 iso 2000 how can I make to a better photo. is SS high enough? DOF off..??
thanks,
Joe

HOSTED PHOTO

WL x1600 etc.

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2009 14:39 |  #7

If you give him the ball that will help put all the attention on him. Or another possibility is to remove the ball from the field of view. But once the ball is in the field of view, ....

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 14:47 |  #8

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #9172277 (external link)
If you give him the ball that will help put all the attention on him. Or another possibility is to remove the ball from the field of view. But once the ball is in the field of view, ....

LOL, ok next time I will call a time out and give him the ball:D
so what you are saying if the ball is in the photo it has to be in focus?
So should be at F2.8 or F4?
thanks
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2009 14:55 |  #9

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #9172172 (external link)
I don't totally disagree with your analysis, but the photographer can adjust depth-of-field by using a different aperture setting and compensate by changing ISO or shutter speed. :)

if he's shsooting 1/400 @ 2000 and 1.8 I'd say he needs all the light he can get so stopping down isn't a great option. even if he went to 3200, he couldn't stop down enough to create adequate dof from that distance given the amount of space between the ball and subject. what you say is true but not applicable in this case.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2009 15:05 |  #10

You are right. What's done is done. He can't go back and change the past. But he can plan for the future.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 15:18 |  #11

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #9172446 (external link)
You are right. What's done is done. He can't go back and change the past. But he can plan for the future.

Sure any pointers will help... what can i do with the given situation when you are shooting this in your court?
How would you shoot this say just on one player or the two players...to make a more impact photo.

thanks
Joe

HOSTED PHOTO

WL x1600 etc.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 10, 2009 15:38 |  #12

Joe:

Good white balance on all your shots. I shoot with a 50D and 85 f/1.8 as well. In the 'home gym' the recipe is ISO 2500, f/2.0 and 1/640 on the shutter. You might be able to get away with 1/500 for the middle school kids, but the HS boys move that much faster.

The trade-off with shooting high ISO is that you'll see better shutter speeds, but the pics will require some sort of noise reduction in post processing.

Agree with you also that the 85 is too long for the real tight inside game. I try to get them coming TO the basket. Rebounds? forget it unless you're all the way at the corner where sideline meets baseline.

Good start for you. Keep going and shooting and you'll soon get the hang of it!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 15:55 |  #13

Snyderman,
Thanks, I was going to do the WB but couldnt find anything white, then went over to food court and got a white tissue / napkin... and took the WB off of that in the gym..
I am going to try that out tomorrow higher SS I see where I might have blur ball in a lot of my shots, maybe 2500 or 3200 iso.
thanks
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2009 16:31 |  #14

Joe300 wrote in post #9172524 (external link)
Sure any pointers will help... what can i do with the given situation when you are shooting this in your court?
How would you shoot this say just on one player or the two players...to make a more impact photo.

thanks
Joe

Like this:

IMAGE: http://twsp.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p411862253-4.jpg

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 19:10 |  #15

Cool, I was going to do that shot the other day, but all the cheerleaders were in the way on one end of the court.. then on the other end I couldnt get in there either..
Maybe I should sit in the stands and watch the game....lol I cant do that I'm a photographer..to many photo ops.

40Dude, Are you using your Sigma and cyberSyncs setups for any B-Ball?

WL x1600 etc.

sponsored links

1,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
50D, 85 1.8 & B-Ball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.