Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Dec 2009 (Friday) 01:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading to a SLR

abjam77
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 11, 2009 01:13 |  #1

I currently own a G9 and I am looking to upgrade to a SLR for Christmas. I love my G9 for a take-every camera, but as I have gotten more serious with my photography I have become frustrated with its noise levels and poor low-light image quality. I have pretty much mastered all of the settings and functions of the G9 and I am looking to buy a camera I can "grow in to". I do a lot of travel photography, but I shoot plenty while at home and would love to start practicing taking portraits. I am looking to spend around $600 to start off with.

Right now I am considering two options: a used 30D or a used/new XSI. I have seen some pretty good deals on the XSI recently with holiday sales, and the features like live view and the self-cleaning sensor seem nice (and it uses SD cards. I know CF cards aren't that expensive but its just another thing to buy.) However, I do like the tougher body and top screen layout of the 30D (the faster FPS is nice but I don't really shoot sports or high-speed action much so its not that big a deal to me). As I understand it image quality is essentially the same between the two. My question is: do the newer features of the XSI outweight the semi-pro features of the older 30d ? Should I be worried about dust on the 30d sensor if buying used? I know this is mainly a ergonomics decision and I plan to go check both of them out at bestbuy, but I figured I would get some input from these forums as well. At the moment I am leaning towards the 30D because of the ergonomics.

My other dilemma lies with buying the lenses. One option is to get 50mm 1.8 and a 18-55mm IS and probably a set of cheap-o extension tubes to mess around with macro. That totals around 200 dollars if I get the 18-55 used. However, I am also looking at the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro. I like the extended range, small aperture, and macro capabilities, but it is more expensive than the other two (300 used, but I found this on craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslis​t.org/scz/pho/14962464​00.html (external link)). Since I do a lot of travel photography I like the idea of having a decent all-around lens like that. Does it make sense to save up for the Sigma or should I just stick with the two canons to start with?

Thanks for your help!

Portfolio (external link) : Blog (external link)
Canon 5D | Tamon 17-35 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-300 VC | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon 430EXII

sponsored links
drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 11, 2009 02:16 |  #2

IMO......Before you buy anything. Go to a store and test/hold and inspect both Nikon and Canon brand. Pick the one you like and rent it for a few days.

I wish I had done this before I bought my first DSLR because the one I bought was good on paper, but never delivered on the AF system and had soft images.:mad:

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

simplefoto
63 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 11, 2009 02:31 |  #3

If you have the G9 i would skip over the XSI and go with the 30D. The XSI is a great camera but it still doesn't have the nice layout of a full sized DSLR

MicrostockGroup.com (external link) - A meeting place for microstock photographers
TutorVid.com (external link) - Free Photoshop video tutorials
KAPshooter (external link)

Njv
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 11, 2009 06:08 |  #4

30d hands down. It has great build, it is a lot tougher and is a significant upgrade from a point and shoot.

7d|tamron 17-50mm f2.8

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,269 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 11, 2009 06:14 |  #5

How much more is a 40D? You get a larger rear LCD, faster fps, Liveview, Sensor dust "Shaker", and even higher ISO and more.

Compare them side by side here:

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/canoneos40d/ (external link)

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Kuma
996 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 11, 2009 06:19 as a reply to  @ Njv's post |  #6

Last time I was checking 30D's were going for around $350-450 on avg for a used copy. If you wanted to you could probably find a used 40D for $600.

18-55IS is a pretty good startup lens.

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 11, 2009 06:58 as a reply to  @ Kuma's post |  #7

If you're just starting out, I would get the least expensive body and save the balance for lenses. No matter what body you get, your results hinge on your lens selection. Some suggestions will tell you to max out your budget on a body, but in my opinion, you'll be disappointed in the results if you don't invest in some decent glass that you can grow into.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

heatherwb
266 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 11, 2009 07:01 |  #8

If your $600 budget is just for the body only, then definitely go for the 40D. :)

Heather

S90 :D

My Smugmug (external link) ~~~ My Twitter (external link) ~~~ My Blog (external link)
Smugmug Discount Code:
fIo5Ekr2wGDR2

crimsondr
53 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 11, 2009 09:33 |  #9

Many of my friends who use a P&S and want to upgrade to a DSLR mention how they like the "blurry backgrounds" in my shots. I then tell them that besides budgeting for the camera, they need to budget for a fast lens.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 11, 2009 10:00 |  #10

I"m going to go against the grain and say get a XSi/450D. I got the 450D w/ kit (18-55 IS) and 55-250 IS for $710 shipped in july and have been very happy with the purchase. I've been amazed at the bang for buck with the kit lenses. I can borrow some L glass from a buddy and I realize their limitations, but they rock if you are on a tight budget. I just picked up a 10-22mm USM (which I think anyone with a Canon crop DSLR should own one of the UWAs) and will be happy with this kit for a long time.

Have you held both bodies? I agree that the XXD cameras feel better, but with my 450D gripped I'm very happy with its size, weight, and feel (I don't think I'd be happy without the grip though). The newer technology was worth more to me than the look and feel.

Good luck with your purchase. I think you will be very happy with either body.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 11, 2009 10:04 |  #11

crimsondr wrote in post #9176747 (external link)
Many of my friends who use a P&S and want to upgrade to a DSLR mention how they like the "blurry backgrounds" in my shots. I then tell them that besides budgeting for the camera, they need to budget for a fast lens.

Fast lenses make life easier, but they are not required to produce a quality photo. I get some great bokeh with my slow 55-250 IS.

-Wayne

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 11, 2009 10:11 |  #12

StimpyJCat wrote in post #9176933 (external link)
Fast lenses make life easier, but they are not required to produce a quality photo. I get some great bokeh with my slow 55-250 IS.

Sometimes you are not setting up the shot though, so it would be impossible to match the faster lens for the "blurry background effect."

Njv
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 11, 2009 10:15 |  #13

30d>XSi. Don't settle for a rebel, when you can get an XXD for just as much if not cheaper, then you have more money to invest in glass. IMO.

7d|tamron 17-50mm f2.8

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 11, 2009 10:16 |  #14

itzcryptic wrote in post #9176977 (external link)
Sometimes you are not setting up the shot though, so it would be impossible to match the faster lens for the "blurry background effect."

Like I said...it makes things easier.

-Wayne

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 11, 2009 10:22 |  #15

StimpyJCat wrote in post #9177003 (external link)
Like I said...it makes things easier.

Or sometimes, it simply makes them possible. :)

sponsored links

3,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading to a SLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.