Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Jun 2005 (Wednesday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Everything you want to know about aftermarket batteries for Canon DSLR's

m3thods
169 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 19, 2013 14:47 |  #631

HailttRedskins wrote in post #16447342 (external link)
Anyone have any opinions on the Watson LP-E6 battery replacement for the Canon LP-E6? Was thinking about getting one for the 5D MKIII as I spent a lot on it and would like some extra battery life. Any bed or good reps on them?

I hear good things about them. That said, why not spend that money on the 2 batteries and charger combo from Wasabi.

http://www.amazon.com …8-1&keywords=wasabi+lp-e6 (external link)

I have a pair and love them. They also have a good following here on POTN as well it seems (it's where I first found out about them).

Fuji X-E2 | 18-55 | 23 | Nikon 60mm AF-D Macro | 55-250 |YN-560EXIIx2 | YN-565EX | YN-622C | YN-622C-TX

sponsored links
SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 20, 2013 11:00 |  #632

Well, that certainly looks like a better deal lol.

Thanks!

Logicus
787 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 20, 2013 11:36 |  #633

I have bought several types of aftermarket batteries and the only issue I've ever had was with a charger/2-battery set I bought for less than $15 and the batteries don't communicate with the camera, but they power it. Those stay in the bottom of the bag "just in case." I bought a "counterfiet" LP-E6 from a Chinese supplier online that looked EXACTLY like the real thing (had to mark it to keep it seperate from the "real" ones) for $20 (including shipping from China) and it came with the box and contents not assembled. I still have and use it 3 years later. I have numerous aftermarket batteries for the 40D and none have ever given out. Only my original battery that came with my 5DII has ceased holding charges.

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)
My flickr photos organized by Lens Used (external link)

RevvdImages
106 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 12:14 as a reply to  @ Logicus's post |  #634

Non-biased review here + 1 initial review.

I had purchased the 2 battery + 1 charger Wasabi package for my T3i (LP-E8), and they seem to last at least 90% as long as the Canon OEM battery, if not close to 100%. Charge times are just as quick and they seem to register battery life and everything. Considering I paid just under $30 CAD for 2 batteries and 1 charger, I'm very impressed. People online complained that the batteries would "get stuck" in the charger, but if you look at the CLEARLY MARKED instructions before you insert the battery, you slide it to the right (I think) and then pull it out, not just straight out like the OEM charger. No issues from me.

Initial review of EZO Power LP-E6 batteries for my 7D. I would have bought more Wasabi's since I was so impressed with them, but they weren't as good a deal from Amazon.ca. 1 Wasabi was about 35 to 40 dollars shipped, but I got my EZO Power batteries (2 of them) plus a charger for 40 dollars shipped. I haven't given them a full run, but they seem to charge without issue on the OEM Canon charger. I haven't tried the EZO charger yet. Initial tests show some playing around with liveview on and playing with settings (5 minutes of LCD screen time), 40 shutters with Live View on, allowing the screen to turn back on between shots ended up with an indicated 95% battery left. Mathematically, that would mean I could theoretically end up with 800 shots with live view, but that's not to say the battery indicator is 100% correct, I would expect it to actually be less as the 7D manual indicates around 400 shots with liveview on, 800+ without. Time will tell and I will update later with a more comprehensive review.

7D / Canon 15-85mm / Canon 70-300mm USM / Canon 50mm 1.8 II / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / 430EX II / Macro LED Flash Ring / Rode VideoMic Pro / Zoom H1
Flickr (external link)
My Youtube Comedy Channel (external link)

m3thods
169 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 20, 2013 13:05 |  #635

^ I hear you on that amazon.ca complaint. Thankfully I live in Vancouver with numerous shipping options to Blaine, so a short hop across the border and I got my Wasabi's for about $32 CAD. The .ca site is pretty much useless imo.

Having used my Wasabi's here and there, it looks like they perform pretty close to the OEM LP-E6, so if you get something that seems defective, it likely is. Luckily Amazon's customer service is top notch, so you'll have everything rectified asap.

Fuji X-E2 | 18-55 | 23 | Nikon 60mm AF-D Macro | 55-250 |YN-560EXIIx2 | YN-565EX | YN-622C | YN-622C-TX

RevvdImages
106 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 25, 2013 11:27 as a reply to  @ m3thods's post |  #636

Further update on the EZOPower LP-E6 Batteries:

I did some filming this weekend and noticed the batteries were draining quite quickly. After what I estimate to be just under an hour of liveview with maybe 20-30 minutes of shoot time, I was down to 20%. I did some further testing with liveview. I turned on live view in video mode and left the camera on for 5 minutes, both with the Canon battery and the EZOPower battery under identical settings and circumstances. The Canon battery started off at 99% (should have fully charged it...) and ended up at 96%, probably edging on 95% by the 5 minute mark. The EZOPower started at 100% and ended up at just rolling over to 91% after 5 minutes. I estimate the EZOPower batteries having anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the power capacity compared to an OEM Canon.

That said, I had really good experiences with my LP-E8 Wasabi batteries, so I will either find a good deal on an OEM Canon LP-E6 or I will go with another Wasabi. All things considered, a charger + 2 batteries for the EZO power isn't a terrible deal, but the Wasabi are probably the best non OEM alternative from my experience.

7D / Canon 15-85mm / Canon 70-300mm USM / Canon 50mm 1.8 II / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / 430EX II / Macro LED Flash Ring / Rode VideoMic Pro / Zoom H1
Flickr (external link)
My Youtube Comedy Channel (external link)

-EuroRSN-
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 15, 2013 23:02 |  #637

Sorry couldnt read all the pages of this thread to find the answer to my question but will a 7.4v (2600 mAh) DSTE battery damage my 6D in anyway? The OEM battery only has a 7.2v (1800mAh) output so im a little bit skeptical on using it. Thank You

CANON 6D + BG-E13 / 24-105 F4 L / 50mm 1.8 / Nikon D7000 / 35mm 1.8
flickr (external link)

felix21685
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,371 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 15, 2013 23:57 |  #638

-EuroRSN- wrote in post #16530601 (external link)
Sorry couldnt read all the pages of this thread to find the answer to my question but will a 7.4v (2600 mAh) DSTE battery damage my 6D in anyway? The OEM battery only has a 7.2v (1800mAh) output so im a little bit skeptical on using it. Thank You

Im not familiar with that brand but all batteries vary in voltage from they are freshly charged and discharged. In my personal experience 7.4v and 7.2v on batteries yielded fine results.

Hope that helps

---------------
50D, Rebel XT, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 28-135 IS,430EX, AT858
Everything you wanted to know about aftermarket batteries

LITTLEL
282 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 20, 2014 19:03 as a reply to  @ post 1057648 |  #639

I'm in the market for needing a second battery for the 5d mark ii. Has anyone got any links to where they have purchased from in the uk. It's a crazy market out there what with the prices ranging from £6.99 upwards.

5D MK 11, 24 - 105 L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 580 EX Mk II, 70 - 200mm 2.8 L IS usm, 350D with Lense Kit. - New Years Resolution - Take at least a picture a day!!:cool:

Jimil
427 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 06, 2014 20:04 |  #640

Just purchased this kit (external link) from amazon.com. Will report on their performance when I get a chance to put them through a few charging cycles.

On another note, has anyone ever had issues with aftermarket batteries damaging your camera bodies? Just curious if anyone had to send a body in for repair because of this.

Cheers!

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 08, 2014 16:17 |  #641

I bought about 8 SterlingTek BP511 a couple years ago and did have 1 fail after just a few months, but the others are still like new and serve me very well. Not cost effective to bother sending just 1 battery back, so simply disposed of. I bought SterlingTek chargers second time but continue to use the OEM Canon chargers instead for all my batteries. very pleased overall. I've got about 13-14 Batteries to cycle through my 2 Grips, so am in very good shape all the time. This thread helped me a lot in making a sound decision.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

felix21685
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,371 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 13, 2014 11:10 |  #642

CanonCameraFan,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still rocking my BP511's as well, using the Canon Charger. Still happy.

---------------
50D, Rebel XT, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 28-135 IS,430EX, AT858
Everything you wanted to know about aftermarket batteries

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2014 11:04 as a reply to  @ felix21685's post |  #643

Okay boys and girls...any good deals on a battery for a 1DsMkIII. :(

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Neliuz
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 30, 2015 04:52 |  #644

has anyone experience with duracell? http://www.amazon.co.u​k …ps&field-keywords=drc+511 (external link)

or japcell what claims that they use Sanyo cells http://japcell.eu …-sanyo-celler-kompatibelt (external link)

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 09, 2017 14:20 |  #645

It's time to replace some failing batteries. This is an old thread and I'm wondering what the current favorite after-matket replacement battery is for the LPE6N?

sponsored links

396,665 views & 5 likes for this thread
Everything you want to know about aftermarket batteries for Canon DSLR's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.