Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Dec 2009 (Monday) 23:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boom: Manfrotto 085BS vs. 3400/420CSUNS vs. 420B

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 14, 2009 23:17 |  #1

I'm getting confused over the details of these three boom stands:

Manfrotto 085BS (external link)

Manfrotto 3400 (external link) (aka 420CSUNS)

Manfrotto 420B (external link)

I am interested in being able to safely and securely support an AlienBee with a large softbox, umbrella, or potentially a beauty dish. Shooting forward, horizontally offset from the stand, or shooting straight down from a high position, and anywhere in between. I would likely transport this to location from time to time as well as use it in my rather confined basement.

The 085BS is certainly more expensive, but it seems to have the most stuff included with it. Would it be overkill for my purposes, or just a very solid piece of kit that would last forever?

The 420CSUNS seems to have its load capacity at maximum extension overstated on B&H's web site compared to Bogen's (external link). 13.2 lbs. vs. 3.3.

What considerations am I overlooking?

And what is the purpose of the drop-down pin I've seen mentioned in other boom arm threads?

Gear List

sponsored links
iqbal624
Goldmember
1,574 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 14, 2009 23:19 |  #2

in for some info also. . .

5d2 | | 50L | 28 1.8 | |
MacBook Pro 15 |

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2009 02:53 |  #3

i have the 420 with steel base (3390 or something like that)
the softbox pictured is pretty light weight....24"x24"
it holds it no problem even close to full extension

i have put a 4ft octabox on boom mode...but i used a drop down pin

the stand is pretty heavy..thats the only thing i dont like about it
but i can trust it a lot when hanging things on it.
the lazy leg has saved me a few times too

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2009 12:58 |  #4

Well, that seems pretty similar to what I would want to mount.

I still don't understand the drop down pin, though.

Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 15, 2009 13:41 |  #5

In my opinion, the Manfrotto 085BS would be a better choice than the 420 pictured above for one simple reason. The 085BS uses a 15-lb counterbalance weight that is fastened anywhere along the length of the boom. Thus, it's easy to move the weight to a position that provides an absolute balance for the boom. When you've balanced the boom, it is extremely easy to adjust the angle of the boom without fighting one end or the other which is trying to fall down. With the movable weight, you can have any combination of boom length and load and still adjust the counterbalance for a balanced boom.

A drop-down pin allows you to set the angle of the light (relative to a vertical or horizontal reference) and then adjust the angle of the boom. The drop-down pin pivots near where it's attached to the boom, and the light is attached to the pivoting arm. Thus, gravity keeps the light at the same angle to the subject regardless of the boom angle.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2009 14:20 |  #6

Thanks, Skip. I was hoping you'd show up, as I've seen you post frequently about booms. :cool:

Sounds a lot easier to move when properly balanced. And having casters and the adjustable leg seem like a plus.

That sort of articulation at the drop down pin sounds quite handy...you can "teeter-totter" the whole boom, but the light maintains the same orientation with respect to horizontal/vertical, but simply higher or lower. A helpful description.

Would I use an Avenger E700 (baby drop down, 5/8") for my lights? I assume the E710 (junior drop down) is for heavier gear that I'm not dealing with. I can't seem to find a Manfrotto part that corresponds to this, though they're both within Bogen.

It's probably unnerving at first to hang a Bee with modifier completely upside-down from one of those, with all its weight bearing on that narrow part of the spigot and the clamp mechanism in the Bee. :eek:

Gear List

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2009 14:24 |  #7

I agree.

I have the same boom and it helps me sleep at night knowing it won't buckle under pressure...

-Mario

SkipD wrote in post #9203262 (external link)
In my opinion, the Manfrotto 085BS would be a better choice than the 420 pictured above for one simple reason. The 085BS uses a 15-lb counterbalance weight that is fastened anywhere along the length of the boom. Thus, it's easy to move the weight to a position that provides an absolute balance for the boom. When you've balanced the boom, it is extremely easy to adjust the angle of the boom without fighting one end or the other which is trying to fall down. With the movable weight, you can have any combination of boom length and load and still adjust the counterbalance for a balanced boom.

A drop-down pin allows you to set the angle of the light (relative to a vertical or horizontal reference) and then adjust the angle of the boom. The drop-down pin pivots near where it's attached to the boom, and the light is attached to the pivoting arm. Thus, gravity keeps the light at the same angle to the subject regardless of the boom angle.

Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 15, 2009 15:19 |  #8

ToddR wrote in post #9203514 (external link)
Thanks, Skip. I was hoping you'd show up, as I've seen you post frequently about booms. :cool:

Sounds a lot easier to move when properly balanced. And having casters and the adjustable leg seem like a plus.

That sort of articulation at the drop down pin sounds quite handy...you can "teeter-totter" the whole boom, but the light maintains the same orientation with respect to horizontal/vertical, but simply higher or lower. A helpful description.

Would I use an Avenger E700 (baby drop down, 5/8") for my lights? I assume the E710 (junior drop down) is for heavier gear that I'm not dealing with. I can't seem to find a Manfrotto part that corresponds to this, though they're both within Bogen.

It's probably unnerving at first to hang a Bee with modifier completely upside-down from one of those, with all its weight bearing on that narrow part of the spigot and the clamp mechanism in the Bee. :eek:

I have the Avenger E700 and it works just fine with my AB monolights and any modifier I want to attach including their giant folding softbox.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 15, 2009 15:23 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #9203262 (external link)

So with the drop-down pin, irrespective of the boom angle, your light will be at the same angle.

Wouldn't something which let you control this angle be better option? I have seen booms which have this knob that you rotate to change the angle like when you want to control for example the position of the softbox used as a hair light.

Like this:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …BSL_Super_Boom_​ONLY_.html (external link)

Of course for indoor use only as I don't think these heavy booms to be practical outdoors.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2009 18:14 |  #10

just got the 085bs in the mail today, was laying in my front yard thx to mr ups. its a beast. one thing im not happy with is the last pole on the boom was egg shaped a little bit so i had to round that out. put it all together and hung 1 ab800 with large softbox all the way extended out and it held nicely. slight bend in the pole but its a heavy duty boom for sure and im sure ill be happy with it.

60D | EFS 17-55 2.8 IS | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto 190XPROB

www.HastyPhoto.com (external link)
www.etsy.com/shop/Hast​yPhoto (external link)
www.facebook.com/HastyPhoto (external link)

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2009 19:36 |  #11

Kind of annoyed to see that despite Adorama and B&H both having the 085BS for the same price, Adorama is out of stock but has free shipping on it, while B&H has it but would charge me $42 shipping!

Gear List

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2009 19:43 |  #12

YEAH I ORDERED FROM B&H YESTERDAY MORNING AND GOT IT TODAY. iM AN HOUR AWAY FROM NYC THOUGH. sOORY FOR CAPS, HIT BUTTON BY MISTAKE.

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2009 20:16 |  #13

"Stand & Boom: 36.1 lbs"

Is that with or without the 15 lb. counterweight?

Gear List

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2009 20:23 |  #14

most likely with it i would think.

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2009 22:45 |  #15

I hit the dreaded "submit" button on the 085BS and E700 pin. (crosses fingers)

Gear List

sponsored links

8,899 views & 0 likes for this thread
Boom: Manfrotto 085BS vs. 3400/420CSUNS vs. 420B
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.