Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 17 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Texas in March

kdvincent
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2009 12:38 |  #1

I am going to be in Texas the first week of March. Does anybody know if the migrations have started yet. Should I stay in the Dallas area and look for birds or go to the coast ?
Keith

Keith, Canon 7D, 5D, 5DMII, 30D,
bunch of glass, lights and modifiers

sponsored links
mikeivan
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 18, 2009 17:21 |  #2

Keith, if you seek migrating warblers, the first week in March is very early. I know nothing about birding around Dallas, but around here, the coast is far superior to inland for warblers and other species. Go here: http://www.tpwd.state.​tx.us …/wildlife_trail​s/coastal/ (external link)
for a super, detailed guide.

MIKEIVAN

txcanon
Goldmember
3,533 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 23, 2009 02:35 |  #3

I agree with mikeivan on all counts. Having lived in both Houston and Dallas, the birding up here in Dallas isn't as good as the birds in coastal and south Texas. You will have better luck down there. Early April is a better time to catch the migrating birds.

Brad
bradfieldsphotography.​com (external link)

kdvincent
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2009 13:05 as a reply to  @ txcanon's post |  #4

So Mike and Brad,
Do I stay near High Island or work my way down to the border or in early March is it just too early??
I am in DFW for business and I am taking an extra week. I won't be back for the great migration (sigh!).
Keith

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 24, 2009 14:20 |  #5

Keith, if it were my time to spend, I would fly from Dallas to McAllen and rent a car and bird the numerous Lower Rio Grande Valley sites: http://www.tpwd.state.​tx.us …s/coastal/lower​/santaana/ (external link)

Here is a great place to stay: http://www.chachalaca.​com/ (external link)

MIKEIVAN

txcanon
Goldmember
3,533 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 30, 2009 23:54 |  #6

Keith, I also think that south Texas would get you better results. This link has a lot of information about birding locations around south Texas. http://www.worldbirdin​gcenter.org/ (external link) The link that Mike provided is very good.

Plus, I found this link full of information that might help you with your decision; http://www.texasphotof​orum.com …rd-photography-sites.html (external link)

Also, If you plan to go to Houston, Brazos Bend State Park is a great place to go.

Hope that helps out.

Brad

kdvincent
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 22, 2010 17:48 |  #7

Brad and Mike,
I have been reading the information and researching the links that both of you provided. We are going to the coast instead of staying around DFW. I thought we would go to the Brownsville border area and work our way north (to High Island) for about a week. Will we see any migration during the first week of March? Are we too early??

Thanks for both of your help.
Keith

txcanon
Goldmember
3,533 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 23, 2010 05:47 |  #8

Keith, I believe you will see some of the early arrivals moving through.

Brad

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 23, 2010 10:17 |  #9

I think the majority of the Aransas NWR flock of Whooping Cranes will still be present in early March. I highly recommend this tour boat:
http://www.whoopingcra​netours.com/ (external link)

The first week in March is very early for warblers. However, you will be passing through some of the best birding territory in North America.
My wife and I took this tour some years ago and were astounded at the variety of birds and other wildlife, and the quality of the tour:
http://www.king-ranch.com/nature_tours​.html (external link)

If you like boardwalks (I do), there is a wonderful one at Port Lavaca:
http://www.southtexast​raveler.com …23-port-lavaca-texas.html (external link)

Early or not, yours sounds like a great trip, good luck.

MIKEIVAN

silversldr
843 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 02, 2010 13:32 |  #10

Did you decide where you were going. I just found this thread. I live in Brownsville and I can show you around the areas if needed.

Living life like a gypsy
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 09, 2010 15:50 |  #11

mikeivan wrote in post #9453944 (external link)
I think the majority of the Aransas NWR flock of Whooping Cranes will still be present in early March. I highly recommend this tour boat:
http://www.whoopingcra​netours.com/ (external link)

The first week in March is very early for warblers. However, you will be passing through some of the best birding territory in North America.
My wife and I took this tour some years ago and were astounded at the variety of birds and other wildlife, and the quality of the tour:
http://www.king-ranch.com/nature_tours​.html (external link)

If you like boardwalks (I do), there is a wonderful one at Port Lavaca:
http://www.southtexast​raveler.com …23-port-lavaca-texas.html (external link)

Early or not, yours sounds like a great trip, good luck.

Mike(& Brad) Been thinking of trying some of the winter at Port A. Had to stay in cold and snowy Illinois but hope 2010-11 we can spend some time there to see if we like it. Would probably look at Jan. & Feb. As a hobbyist photog. should I lobby for a slightly different time period? I like wildlife, nature, landscape pix best. Any inside info. would be appreciated-thanx-Rog

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

kdvincent
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 10, 2010 20:37 as a reply to  @ ardeekay's post |  #12

Roger,
Be careful of what Mike and Brad have to say. I think that they work for the local Chamber of Commerce..... (Just kidding)

I just got back from all along the coast of Texas. Not a bird to be found. (well, I did see a Green Jay, Whooping Cranes and Roseate Spoonbills).
Both of these guys said to travel a month later than I did and boy, were they correct. I went to High Island and all there were was two butterflies. I stopped looked and listened and all I heard was an airplane about 5 miles away. Not a peep out of a single bird. nuthin'.

If you are just going all the way down the coast then there are some non migratory birds all along the border.
(oh, and White and Brown Pelicans, and Sandhill Cranes, Snow Geese, Skimmers, a bunch of Terns and Gulls)

Nope, not one single bird.....

'course the 80 degree weather was a bit painful as well.
(49 degrees in Seattle today.....)

Keith

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 11, 2010 15:38 |  #13

kdvincent wrote in post #9771198 (external link)
Roger,
Be careful of what Mike and Brad have to say. I think that they work for the local Chamber of Commerce..... (Just kidding)

I just got back from all along the coast of Texas. Not a bird to be found. (well, I did see a Green Jay, Whooping Cranes and Roseate Spoonbills).
Both of these guys said to travel a month later than I did and boy, were they correct. I went to High Island and all there were was two butterflies. I stopped looked and listened and all I heard was an airplane about 5 miles away. Not a peep out of a single bird. nuthin'.

If you are just going all the way down the coast then there are some non migratory birds all along the border.
(oh, and White and Brown Pelicans, and Sandhill Cranes, Snow Geese, Skimmers, a bunch of Terns and Gulls)

Nope, not one single bird.....

'course the 80 degree weather was a bit painful as well.
(49 degrees in Seattle today.....)

Keith

So in Jan & Feb I'll settle for the weather & whatever birds may be "lost" at the time. Right now, I'll take the weather-what a winter! One of those guys mentioned the NWR- probably some good there. Thanks for your reply-appreciate it! Rog

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 14, 2010 07:13 |  #14

ardeekay wrote in post #9762148 (external link)
Mike(& Brad) Been thinking of trying some of the winter at Port A. Had to stay in cold and snowy Illinois but hope 2010-11 we can spend some time there to see if we like it. Would probably look at Jan. & Feb. As a hobbyist photog. should I lobby for a slightly different time period? I like wildlife, nature, landscape pix best. Any inside info. would be appreciated-thanx-Rog

Roger, Of course, anything in Texas will be an improvement over Illinois in Jan/Feb. ;) However, I have visited Port A twice in winter and the weather was miserable both times; windy, gray, cold, rainy, everything a photographer dislikes. Probably just my bad luck. I prefer the Lower Rio Grande Valley, for weather and birds. We just returned from there (5 days) and had a great time, including four lifers. OTOH, if you want Whoopers, Aransas NWR is the place. Good luck.

MIKEIVAN

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 15, 2010 07:18 |  #15

I was out on the Mississippi River yesterday, which means it's open already. I saw Red Winged Blackbirds, Robins, Starlings and some other small birds I could not identify, so migration has already started. Remember, this is Wisconsin, and Minnesota is on the other side of the river, so we are way North. In Southern Texas, migration should be in full swing, except for those birds who are controlled by the hours of daily sunlight.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links

2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Texas in March
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.