Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Dec 2009 (Friday) 04:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

so i cleaned my own sensor, wasnt so bad.

Boomerbsg
90 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2009 04:00 |  #1

having a fundamental knowledge and experience in electronics, there was no way in the world i was going to pay someone $XXX.XX to clean my camera even on a not so regular basis... nope, no way, no how.. so having researched this a bit, i found the Copper Hill method (external link), and yes, it seemed viable.. but i wanted it cleaned as soon as i saw how dirty my sensor was..

so off to houston i went, the first place i visited, had Eclipse (which is was Copper Hill recommends.. great.. $10 a bottle.. meh, i can handle that..
i asked for swabs and pec pads.. well these guys are crafty, they sell the senor swab sticks similar to, but larger than what CH sells, also they have the pec pads already wrapped and rubber banded to the swabs, and sell them at a whopping $3.75 each! but alas at least i was an informed shopper (minor comfort when you know your getting ripped off i guess). so i purchased 4 of them.

the second place i visited had a rocket blower.. this is a great design. but in a pinch you can use a blower bulb thats sold with ear cleaning kits, just remember to blow the sensor, remove it from the sensor area before you release it to draw in more air.. but really.. spend the $10 to get the rocket blower, its worth it imo.

so i bounded home (well an hour drive so more like road tripped home) to begin the task.

i charged the battery fully before i left for town so my Canon 20D was ready to go.

popped in the battery removed the lens, shut off the heater in the house so no air would circulate, hit the Clean Sensor option in the settings of my canon and flipped the camera over.. two drops of Eclipse on the first pad, and two passes.. dropped two drops on the second pad/stick and two passes again.

i can say this.. you dont want to use regular rubbing alcohol and a q-tip! sure once may not hurt, but as a regular regiment of cleaning, it will and can cause minor abrasions on the sensor, and you dont want that... just more ruts to catch dust in, second rubbing alcohol usually has water in it, water + contacts in electrical equipment = corrosion in the long run.. not good! you want something that will evaporate quick and clean..

so to sum up, its EASY, requires little to no pressure what so ever, and really, a child could do it... heres some before and after shots of my sensor, just follow the guide on Copper Hills site to do these shots to test, theres still a couple specs but compared to what it was, its acceptable.. also i'm sure i'll get them next time i'm in there cleaning..

before:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

after:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

just thought i'd post this up, in case it helps anyone decide not to be ripped off on this relatively simple procedure.

cheers

Canon 40D|Tamron 17-50mm |430EXII| Next Purchase: 70-200 F4L in the future...

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,427 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 18, 2009 06:01 |  #2

You are not cleaning the sensor, it is a glass covering in many of the models. So if you put minor ruts in that, you are using the wrong material. But congrats on the cleaning, more people need to get over their fear! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Boomerbsg
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2009 06:15 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #9221377 (external link)
You are not cleaning the sensor, it is a glass covering in many of the models. So if you put minor ruts in that, you are using the wrong material. But congrats on the cleaning, more people need to get over their fear! :)

Thanks, but let's not confuse the issue with semantics, after all, its not called "glass cover over sensor cleaning kit" no one will search for that here on the forum, but they will search for cleaning sensor, dust on sensor etc:)

Cheers.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,427 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 18, 2009 08:05 |  #4

Boomerbsg wrote in post #9221413 (external link)
Thanks, but let's not confuse the issue with semantics, after all, its not called "glass cover over sensor cleaning kit" no one will search for that here on the forum, but they will search for cleaning sensor, dust on sensor etc:)

Cheers.

The point is that cleaning that area is not all the sensitive as many make it out to be. Use the proper tools and materials, and it is an easy task. I am not confusing the issue as opposed to provide facts about what you are really cleaning so that others understand.

But in any case congrats on your attempting it, there are too many people afraid to even open up their mirror box to see the shutter or even the sensor assembly. It is not that scary, much like cleaning the mirror, focus screen, or all that dust behind the 17-55 front element.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 18, 2009 08:28 |  #5

I always take a good gander at my mirror box. I made the mistake of cleaning my mirror with a liquid a while back and there are some small spots towards the bottom that won't come out with methanol. 95% of the rest of the mirror is perfect, so go figure.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,427 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 18, 2009 08:39 |  #6

Erik_L wrote in post #9221877 (external link)
I always take a good gander at my mirror box. I made the mistake of cleaning my mirror with a liquid a while back and there are some small spots towards the bottom that won't come out with methanol. 95% of the rest of the mirror is perfect, so go figure.

I just use a microfiber towel with no issues, after a good burst of air beforehand. I have cleaned several, some caused by friends messing with their camera, and some fingerprints self-inflicted during the focus screen changes. As many have said before, research beforehand, get everything in order around you in a clean environment, have lots of lights, and start your work being careful each step of the way.

You should have seen my neighbor's Rebel that I just cleaned. She was prying around inside because of some fuzz she saw in the VF. She just about ripped the foam mirror cushion off, and got the mirror a little messy. I had to clean everything out, take out the focus screen, etc. Looks a ton better now!

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 18, 2009 08:41 |  #7

I see a tiny "handle" that could be used to remove the FS from the rebel, but I heard they were not removable?

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

Coach21
156 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 18, 2009 08:41 |  #8

Nice post.

Thanks for sharing that information. I'll attempt it someday after hearing several on this forum that help take the fear out of it.

Thanks again,

Andy

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 18, 2009 09:32 |  #9

Yep.. it's not hard at all, and in the long run MUCH cheaper than sending the camera in to Canon every few months for a professional cleaning..

Lars ­ Daniel
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 18, 2009 09:49 |  #10

I tell worried folks that it is just like cleaning windows in a doll house.

Previously Canon. Now Fuji. (-And loving it!)
www.larsdaniel.com

beefycow
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 18, 2009 09:50 |  #11

thanks

50D | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,427 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 18, 2009 10:02 |  #12

Erik_L wrote in post #9221961 (external link)
I see a tiny "handle" that could be used to remove the FS from the rebel, but I heard they were not removable?

Yes they are. There is that locking tab assembly that keeps pressure on the screen, then the screen, then a brass shim. Just make a note of the orientation of everything as you pull it all out, but yes, easily removable and cleanable and replaceable, as long as you are careful and try not to touch the screen except by the edges.

Boomerbsg
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2009 13:46 |  #13

Coach21 wrote in post #9221965 (external link)
Nice post.

Thanks for sharing that information. I'll attempt it someday after hearing several on this forum that help take the fear out of it.

Thanks again,

Andy

Just search the forum, there's plenty of posts like mine. It really is that easy.

Funny thing, my Rebel XS, I took about 5k-6k shots with, is very clean, I guess its self cleaning works rather well on it.

Cheers

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 18, 2009 14:20 |  #14

You still have some dust on the sensor :P

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

Boomerbsg
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2009 18:52 |  #15

IVIax wrote in post #9223758 (external link)
You still have some dust on the sensor :P

Heh true, but compared to what it was like before I cleaned it, I'll wait till my next cleaning. I just followed copper hills walk through, and they say just get it next time, if it was in the center or upper part of the screen I'd go back in, but perimeter portion like that, I can clone stamp it, or out right crop a shot if need be.
Cheers

sponsored links

2,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
so i cleaned my own sensor, wasnt so bad.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.