Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 20 Dec 2009 (Sunday) 14:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A few from the snow and the day after

SacMac
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2009 14:28 |  #1

My we've actually had some serious snow here in the last few days. Thankfully, some bright sunny weather ensued and the birds are flocking to the feeders to keep warm. Here's a small selection of what's been around.

Robin

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …/m311/sacmac/SC​ML3907.jpg (external link)

Blackbird

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …/m311/sacmac/SC​ML3928.jpg (external link)

Female Chaffinch

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …/sacmac/SCML400​0-Copy.jpg (external link)

Blue Tit

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …/sacmac/SCML397​3-Copy.jpg (external link)

Starling

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …/m311/sacmac/SC​ML4005.jpg (external link)

And another Starling

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …/m311/sacmac/SC​ML3963.jpg (external link)

Sheryl

sponsored links
Restless ­ legs ­ man
627 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2009 14:49 |  #2

Wow, how much snow did is lying down south there? Up here its been snowing on and off for three or four days, its the coldest winter for a while. Nice shots.:)

Cameron
Flickr (external link)
60D, 1000D, Sigma 150-500 OS, Canon mpe-65, various other bits of guff.

Rockney
174 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2009 14:54 |  #3

Not very sharp. you may want to invest in some L Glass..Watch your backgrounds..

Rocky
Canon Gear: 5D, 40D, 17-40mm f4 L, 100mm macro, 70-200mm f4 L, 300mm f4 L, 400mm f5.6 L 500mm f4 L

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 20, 2009 15:17 |  #4

Nice set, Sheryl.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2009 15:30 |  #5

Rockney wrote in post #9233882 (external link)
Not very sharp. you may want to invest in some L Glass..Watch your backgrounds..

L Glass is always nice, but several of these have very busy surroundings, making it very hard to get the focus on the correct spot. There are a couple of branches that looks sharper than the eye/head of the bird.

In the last shot, I think I would try to clone away the fuzzy background branches. I find them quite disturbing.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

SacMac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2009 15:35 |  #6

Restless legs man wrote in post #9233864 (external link)
Wow, how much snow did is lying down south there? Up here its been snowing on and off for three or four days, its the coldest winter for a while. Nice shots.:)

Thanks. Yes, we've had 5 or 6 inches and it's not going away, for a change. Hope it will tomorrow because my road has not been gritted and is like an ice rink!!

Sheryl

SacMac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2009 15:37 |  #7

Rockney wrote in post #9233882 (external link)

Yeah, I know. My arthritic hands aren't working too well in the cold weather I'm afraid - bit of camera shake in here!! I have L glass coming out of my ears so I can't blame the tools :D Thanks for the comments.

Sheryl

SacMac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2009 15:39 |  #8

jgrussell wrote in post #9234007 (external link)
Nice set, Sheryl.

Many thanks Judy, much appreciated :D

Sheryl

SacMac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2009 15:42 |  #9

pwm2 wrote in post #9234079 (external link)
L Glass is always nice, but several of these have very busy surroundings, making it very hard to get the focus on the correct spot. There are a couple of branches that looks sharper than the eye/head of the bird.

In the last shot, I think I would try to clone away the fuzzy background branches. I find them quite disturbing.

You're quite right, they were even busier and I've cloned out quite a lot of twigs in any case.

I can't get out anywhere other than my back garden in this weather so I'm afraid this is all I have. I guess it's back to the drawing board with the garden shots. I won't post anything sub-standard in future LOL!

Sheryl

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,026 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 20, 2009 15:49 as a reply to  @ SacMac's post |  #10

Last time I checked this section of the forum this is a "photo sharing" section not the critique forum. I think if the OP ended her reply with C&C welcomed then it should be offered but she didn't. ;)

Sheryl...do you use a tripid or monopod? If you don't it may help with the shakiness you're having difficulty with. I've enjoyed seeing the variety of birds in your garden. ;)

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,398 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 20, 2009 18:25 |  #11

Nice to see some shots from you again.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

SacMac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2009 15:13 |  #12

Thanks Duane and Ken, your comments are much appreciated.

Duane, I'm not using a tripod or monopod at the moment, purely because I can't get them out there in the snow. These shots were literally from my back door - too much ice beyond there!!! I used the 100-400. I believe that's one of the L lenses I should invest in LOL.

I quite like to share photos when I've enjoyed seeing the birds themselves, but I do find recently that there are some very harsh comments from some on this forum. This is fair enough as I presume the perpetrators are only aiming to help improve our photos. However, I do think that some people are pretty brutal without knowing all the facts! C'est la vie. I won't lose any sleep over it!!

I do appreciate comments from people in general and believe that I am fair when giving my own opinion, but I'm sure I try to be polite if I'm not sure if a photo is pin sharp. I have to say I've seen photos much worse than mine in recent weeks and I don't understand quite why I had such harsh criticism!!! Hey. beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...

OK, I'll get off my soap box now and slink back into the corner.......

Sheryl

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,026 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2009 16:21 as a reply to  @ SacMac's post |  #13

I've found not to take things personally and everyone has their own opinion on what they see...right or wrong it's only their opinion and nothing more....heck, that's what a critique is..an opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

I learned a long time ago you can't please everyone all the time...so keep doing and sharing what makes you happy...they can't take that away from you. ;)

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

SacMac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2009 16:45 |  #14

Duane, thanks for the reply. I'm not really bothered what people say, just sometimes you have to say to people "don't be mean"!! We're not all fantastic photographers all of the time (even the people giving out the criticism) - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. However, it's good to share stuff if you personally have enjoyed the experience. Anyway, I appreciate what you had to say and I'm definitely now not going to say any more on the subject (unless anyone wants to have another go!!!). Cheers.

Sheryl

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 21, 2009 16:46 |  #15

Not sure if you considered my comment above harsh. I just noted that it is very hard to get a perfect focus when a small bird decides to spend the time surrounded by a lot of twigs. At least I have that problem, since the AF point in the viewer doesn't match exactly with the real AF points. Before I got cameras with live view to help with manual focusing, I got very frustrated.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

1,158 views & 0 likes for this thread
A few from the snow and the day after
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.