Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Dec 2009 (Monday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on slide & film scanner

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2009 00:46 |  #1

I have thousands of slides I want to scan to digital and have been putting off this monumental task for years.

A couple years ago I got a screaming deal on a Canon CanoScan FS 4000US dedicated slide and film scanner.

What I was wondering is - Has anyone got any experience with this unit. Do you know if it is a good choices for scanning slides?

It came with the original receipt and somebody paid $1200. for this thing in November 2001.

I could save and spring for a better unit if the results will be drastically different but I thought I would ask for input here.

For now all I want is to get them to digital in a good quality scan. I'm going to save them as JPEG's rather than RAW or some other more editable format. If I start PP'ing every picture, I won't get done before I die! I can always rescan the important ones if I want to do some serious PP.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,

(hope I have this in the right forum)

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 21, 2009 18:07 |  #2

In its day it was a pretty good scanner. Why not try it and see how you like the results. The only downside is that it may be rather slow as it is only usb 1.

say_cheese
788 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2009 20:15 |  #3

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #9236827 (external link)
I have thousands of slides I want to scan to digital and have been putting off this monumental task for years.

A couple years ago I got a screaming deal on a Canon CanoScan FS 4000US dedicated slide and film scanner.

What I was wondering is - Has anyone got any experience with this unit. Do you know if it is a good choices for scanning slides?

It came with the original receipt and somebody paid $1200. for this thing in November 2001.

I could save and spring for a better unit if the results will be drastically different but I thought I would ask for input here.

For now all I want is to get them to digital in a good quality scan. I'm going to save them as JPEG's rather than RAW or some other more editable format. If I start PP'ing every picture, I won't get done before I die! I can always rescan the important ones if I want to do some serious PP.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,

(hope I have this in the right forum)

I have the Cano Scan FS2720U (the little brother to what you have). They will do a fine job of scanning slides (I too have thousands), some slides, particulary Kodak Kodachrome , may need several scans to get a good file. Note, you cannot scan to a RAW file output. because scanning and tweaking is quite time consumming I suggest only scanning the important one's. Alternatively, there are service companies that will mass scan your slides for you for a price. You may also find that some of the newer computer operating systems no longer support old scanner drivers, especially firewire devices.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 22, 2009 00:35 as a reply to  @ say_cheese's post |  #4

Well, I hooked the old beast up and I'm trying it out. Win XP was not yet released when this thing was sold, but I managed to track down drivers that work. And I'm able to import into Photoshop Elements 6, which I already have.
It appears to be still a very good quality scanner. I have messed around with the output and different exposures and settled on 4000 res and 24 bit color. I am very fussy about quality and want a picture I can actually look at without that "lost at the beach in a sandstorm" look.

S L O W - dead friggin slow . . . . Oh man this is going to take a while. At 4000 res it takes about 15 minutes to scan 4 of them. Yeehaw - such fun! Something like watching paint dry. But I can do other work while they are scanning. And yeah, I'm going to do them all, every single last one of them. And then I have my fathers slide colection - a whole bunch more!

Because I have thousands of them I am not going to get too carried away with them. I am blowing the dust off with my mouth, carefully. After cleaning spit off a couple I'm learning to dry my mouth a bit better first. Could break out the air compressor I suppose.

My main goal is to get them into a format we can all look at on our computers. If any of the family want a really good scan of a particular shot, I can redo those slides with more care.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 22, 2009 00:42 |  #5

I fully realize you're handling treasured family memories but I think you'd do yourself a great service to get or fabricate some sort of light table and using a good old fashioned loupe, go through the images using the workflow that used to be applied to transparencies.

Eyeball them first and (unless it's really a one of a kind image of your folks or from your past) round file or at least mark and skip over the ones that would never have made it into an analog "slide show."

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 22, 2009 02:30 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #6

Oh and get yourself a rocket blower or similar to prevent getting spittle on your treasured slides.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 22, 2009 09:27 |  #7

You do realise that if it takes you 15 minutes to scan 4, it's going to take you 250 hours to scan 4000! Wow, that's more than 10 days solid!

Good luck.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 22, 2009 09:39 |  #8

Sorarse wrote in post #9244492 (external link)
You do realise that if it takes you 15 minutes to scan 4, it's going to take you 250 hours to scan 4000! Wow, that's more than 10 days solid!

Good luck.

Yeah I have been considering that. . . .
But I hate noisy images so I either have to accept a low quality picture at a faster scan time or just have this thing going whenever I am at my desk.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,926 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 22, 2009 15:58 |  #9

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #9242968 (external link)
I am blowing the dust off with my mouth, carefully. After cleaning spit off a couple I'm learning to dry my mouth a bit better first. Could break out the air compressor I suppose.

Canned air will do the job nicely. Just the ordinary stuff you find at computer and office supply stores.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 22, 2009 19:32 |  #10

You guys and your driving nails with a sledgehammer!

Really, just get an antistatic brush and gently clean those films on one direction only and you should be good to go.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 24, 2009 15:30 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #11

I dragged over a hose from my big honkin compressor. With the pressure turned down to a few ponds, it works quite well. Gets rif of most of the dust anyways. If there are some pics I really want to preserve at high quality I will address them one at a time.
For now, a not so quick scan, a quick light adjustment if needed and save it is going to have to suffice.
Some of the slides have a lot of specks right on the surface. Gotta be careful not to scratch them if I wipe them down.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

sponsored links

1,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on slide & film scanner
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.