Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Dec 2009 (Monday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Really dumb 5D2 LCD issue

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2009 18:40 |  #1

I used the search function and no results on this "issue". I place that word in quotes because I know it's user error and I plead ignorance. I'm pretty tech savvy, but for some reason the LCD screen on my 5D2 will not TURN OFF. I get the settings screen ("quick control screen") when I power up the camera (not the menu screen) and every button I press always takes me right back to the settings screen by default. The last time I used my camera I was playing around in EOS utility and I was fidgeting with some of the software settings. It hasn't gone back to normal. I'm just a little frustrated because I just bought a 7D about an hour ago and I'm trying to enjoy the experience of my new purchase, but this issue is nagging me to death and I can't seem to get past it!

This feels like such a dumb topic - but you guys are great and I know help is plentiful around here. Your collective wisdom would be so appreciated right now!

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
ears
552 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 21, 2009 18:49 |  #2

Press the info button to the right of the screen till it cycles off.

5d MkIII / 6D SOLD:cry:/ 50mm 1.2L II / 24-70 2.8L Mark II Sold:cry: / Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II SOLD!:(

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2009 18:59 |  #3

no - that's not it. I know what you're saying - that's typically how the function is supposed to work. Like I said, it just defaults right back to the settings screen regardless. I really don't think canon would build in a feature in which that screen would allow the user to leave it on 100% of the time. I can even shoot pictures with the display left on.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2009 19:11 |  #4

ANYBODY? I thought this was a noobish question...

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2009 19:16 |  #5

I don't know of a way to keep the LCD on, permanently. Sounds like a "problem" with your 5DII.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 21, 2009 19:20 |  #6

Try a reset of the camera, by removing the main battery and also the settings memory backup battery. If that does not resolve the issue, it's time for Canon warranty claim work.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2009 19:21 |  #7

hey bohdank, thanks for stopping by :)

I cleared settings and it "fixed" the issue. It's gonna take a while to get them all back, but at least it cleared it up. I'm guessing it had something to do with the EOS Utility software since that's the point where things went awry. Thanks Wilt!

Now time to play with my new 7D... early Christmas for me! :P

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 21, 2009 19:45 |  #8

CF III-3 and CF III-5 are the only settings I can see that might cause that. CF III-5 lets you assign Quick Control Screen to the Set button.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 21, 2009 20:00 |  #9

Pearlallica wrote in post #9241497 (external link)
hey bohdank, thanks for stopping by :)

I cleared settings and it "fixed" the issue. It's gonna take a while to get them all back, but at least it cleared it up. I'm guessing it had something to do with the EOS Utility software since that's the point where things went awry. Thanks Wilt!

Now time to play with my new 7D... early Christmas for me! :P

Cameras have computers in them. With a PC you are accustomed to "When it acts up, reboot that dammed thing"...applies to cameras, too.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Really dumb 5D2 LCD issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.