Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I feel a little sick

joeyCes
141 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2009 14:10 |  #16

I owned an Xti for a few years, and IMO, I felt that I had reached the highest level of possibilities with that camera.

1 month before the 7D came out, I went and purchased a 50D as my first real upgrade, I bought this on an impulse becuase my wife and myself were expecting our first child, and I didn't want to take a chance of not having perfect pictures of my daughter during her arrival in this world.

I was blown away by what the 50D offered compared to the Xti, and I truly felt like I made the best decision.

Then I found out about the 7D coming out, and I was ready to kick myself in the butt. So I returned the 50D (luckily Best Buy took the 50D back a MONTH later) and picked up the 7D.

At first, I was very dissapointed comparing the shots from the 50D with the 7D, I almost felt like I made the wrong choice. This was ONLY becuase I had not yet figured out how to take advantage of what the 7D offered.

That was in November, and over a month later, I am taking FAR better shots now with the 7D, compared to the 50D & Xti.

I would not trade this in for anything at this point, it serves my purposes very well.

I say give it some time, learn the new features and how to use them, and you too will be very impressed with the results.

..::My Gear::..
---------------
Its not about the destination, its about the journey!

sponsored links
Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 22, 2009 14:24 |  #17

gdl357 wrote in post #9244904 (external link)
I just sold my beloved 50D Gripped that has not once let me down in the 5050 pics we took together.
It had always put a smile on my face after I reveiwed the event's picture on my PC.
I just decided the other day to get the 7D. I don't like taking videos. So I probably never use that feature.
1- The autofocus looks way to complicated for me.
2 - The body is so expensive, I had to drop the idea of getting a grip for it in the same order.
3 - I have no trust in it as I heard people having 7D's crap out on them at the best moment. Now the camera and I will have to start from scratch to regain my confidence all over again.
It must be the fact that it's 18MP and that makes for some nice copping.
I even have a little headache...because of this move I made. I have an important shoot Jan15. I just hope I am ready.
Thx

You should be feeling sick to your stomach .. what were you thinking ? :confused: :lol:

My Gear List  :p

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 22, 2009 14:25 |  #18

gdl357 wrote in post #9246101 (external link)
HEy guys one advil and reading this thread made me feel much better. HAHA
One question...how many of you feel the need to grip the 7D?
Thx.

I ran a grip on my 30D to balance it a bit better with a 70-200. I don't feel I need it for the 7D.

My Gear List  :p

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 22, 2009 14:34 |  #19

Complicated auto focus? No thanks. I WANT the camera to autofocus smoothly for me. My eyes need all of the help they can get. I can't even read the info displayed in the viewfinder, but I can see that red box blink and hear the beep when something I point at is in focus. Don't want it more complicated than that.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

Diamond ­ Dave
102 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 22, 2009 14:58 as a reply to  @ HoosierJoe's post |  #20

OP, if you don't need video and already own a 50d that you're very happy with...why did you switch? For 3 mp?

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 22, 2009 14:59 |  #21

Wow... I was waiting for the punchline somewhere in this thread, but guess not. Oh well, I can't imagine a thing the 50D does better than my 7D. Anyhow, I'd glad to sell my 50D to anyone here because it hasn't seen the light of day since.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

gdl357
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 22, 2009 15:29 |  #22

Diamond Dave wrote in post #9246479 (external link)
OP, if you don't need video and already own a 50d that you're very happy with...why did you switch? For 3 mp?

I was going to get the 5D MKII but when I added the price of the camera with a grip and knowing I would have lost more money on my brand new 30MM Sigma i just got (ef-s)...I said forget it. I could not have cancled my ebay bid because 2 guys were bidding on the 50D and it had reached 930 usd, more than I was looking for. Also the fack that I was laid off Nov.30 did not help either on forking out 1.5K more than the 7D just to get my dream camera :cry: Thats the scoop.

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."

:p Gear List

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2009 16:02 as a reply to  @ gdl357's post |  #23

I'm about to trade my 50D which is my first DSLR for a 1D mark II. I hope I don't have traders remorse:(

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Luke ­ Cern
926 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 22, 2009 16:12 |  #24

SiaoP wrote in post #9246871 (external link)
I'm about to trade my 50D which is my first DSLR for a 1D mark II. I hope I don't have traders remorse:(

You should be able to get a 1DMKIIN in a trade, It's a better body!

You will be admiring your new acquisition and won't want to put it down. There's no remorse on an upgrade like that because you shouldn't need to add much cash.

Good luck.

Ianfp
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 22, 2009 16:20 |  #25

Just hang in there with your 7D. In a few days or a couple of weeks, you will have absolutely no regrets!

Ian
Nikon D850, 85mm f/1.4G
5D2
EF17-40 f/4.0 L, EF135 f/2.0L EF200 f/2.8L

EF24-105L, EF100 f/2.8L Macro. EOS-M, 22mm f/2
Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f/2.8

Mt ­ Olympus
84 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 22, 2009 16:35 |  #26

gdl357 wrote in post #9246665 (external link)
I was going to get the 5D MKII but when I added the price of the camera with a grip and knowing I would have lost more money on my brand new 30MM Sigma i just got (ef-s)...I said forget it. I could not have cancled my ebay bid because 2 guys were bidding on the 50D and it had reached 930 usd, more than I was looking for. Also the fack that I was laid off Nov.30 did not help either on forking out 1.5K more than the 7D just to get my dream camera :cry: Thats the scoop.

930 USD is quite the deal for you considering the new 50D's are going for 940 USD at B&H.

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

gdl357
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 22, 2009 16:43 |  #27

Mt Olympus wrote in post #9247109 (external link)
930 USD is quite the deal for you considering the new 50D's are going for 940 USD at B&H.

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

It was gripped with Genuine Canon grip and E1 handstrap. It also had 2 bp-511a. This added to it's value alot. Only 5k on it.

Yeah after 7 years of driving 2-3K km per month as a tech, they dump me right before x-mass. Our mother company was in Cleveland, Ohio. I went there a fewtimes and didn't like the area. I gained 70 lbs because of this job, always eating in the car while driving... All behind me now as I feel my health get back on track.

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."

:p Gear List

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2009 19:08 |  #28

gdl357 wrote in post #9247151 (external link)
It was gripped with Genuine Canon grip and E1 handstrap. It also had 2 bp-511a. This added to it's value alot. Only 5k on it.

Yeah after 7 years of driving 2-3K km per month as a tech, they dump me right before x-mass. Our mother company was in Cleveland, Ohio. I went there a fewtimes and didn't like the area. I gained 70 lbs because of this job, always eating in the car while driving... All behind me now as I feel my health get back on track.

If you've put on weight and don't like it, do a photo-document on how to loose weight, Someone I know on another forum did with brilliant results!

i'll try find link, sorry to hear about losing your job.

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 22, 2009 21:01 |  #29

I went from a 30d to a 7d a month ago and all I can say is- WOW! I have had no regrets. The AF is amazing. I know you are worried about it being to complicated, but you can enable what features you want and turn of the rest. It took me about 2 days to feel as comfortable with it as I did with my 30d. To me that's really good. As for the grip, it is far better than the grip for the 30d. I bought the camera first and had to go buy the grip within a week. I actually sold a lens to get the money.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

deeslk
566 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2009 21:08 |  #30

Not to worry you won't be dissapointed.
The AF system is amazing, just think of it as a 50D with a better AF and some HD video thrown in.

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, Canon 7D, Gripped, Canon 50D, Gripped, 70-200 MK II 2.8L IS USM, 24-105 4L IS USM, 70-200 4L IS USM, 17-40 4L USM, 17-55 2.8 IS USM, 50 1.8 II, 3 x 580 EXII, Tokina 11-16 2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX......

sponsored links

4,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
I feel a little sick
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.