Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I feel a little sick

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 22, 2009 21:16 |  #31

I too went from a 50D to the 7D and had all the same worries, but I got over them after about the first day!!! This AF is simply AWESOME!!! After I gripped my 50D I will never go without one. The camera just feels more "complete" My only problem is that nobody wants to buy my 50D now:(

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
WAF
164 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 22, 2009 21:30 |  #32

Regarding the new 7D, make sure you have upgraded your software for the 7D (Lightroom and others) or you photo software tools may not be processing the images properly. Lightroom is now 2.6.

Adrian ~ Canon 30D, Canon Mark3, Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 5D MarkIII, Canon 7D, Canon:70-200mm/f2.8, 85mm/1.2, 50mm/1.4, Canon 14mm Fisheye, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, USM, 1.4X, 2.0X , Quantum T5d-R flashes.http://www.adrianfreem​an.com (external link)

kompakt
232 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2009 21:36 |  #33

deeslk wrote in post #9248432 (external link)
Not to worry you won't be dissapointed.
The AF system is amazing, just think of it as a 50D with a better AF and some HD video thrown in.

yeah except he mention in his original post that he does not care at all for the video feature,so hes getting a better AF and 3mp..

i have a feeling when you get your 7d and start shooting and then compare your pictures to the ones you shot with the 50D, your going to go back to the advil...

canon 50D /18 -55.is/ 55-250.IS/ 50mm f1.8 II ( nifty fifty)/ canon 430ex speedlite/
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Xr Di / PSE7/ lightroom 2.0
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/32338546@N08/ (external link)

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2009 21:41 |  #34

You guys need to sit down and have a look at these videos:

B&H Canon 7D and Autofocus videos (external link)

Use the selector at the bottom right to navigate to Displaying "121-130 of 226" and start with the Canon 7D 1 of 3 video. Watch all three of those videos and then watch the 3 videos on Canon autofocus on the next page.

Watch the videos and put into practice what Canon's Rudy Winston talks about and stop bellyaching already. If you can't dedicate time to reading the manual and/or watching the videos, return the camera and just go get a Sony Cybershot.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

jerdan
84 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 22, 2009 21:49 |  #35

have 7d and love it

2-5d mark2,7d, 100mm 2.8,70-200 2.8 L,17-40 F4 L,50mm 1.2L,24-105,55, 50 1.2L,85 1.8,15mm2.8, 580ex2,430ex2, canon cpe4 battery packs,Canon 2x extender,Pocket wizards flex&mini,2 ab800,vagabond mini,C stands,ab beauty dish,28''apollo,50''ap​ollo,ab medium softboxes.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2009 22:22 |  #36

snyderman wrote in post #9245546 (external link)
Happens with my 70-200 f/2.8L which is my 'go-to' lens. For instance, if I point it at a light colored object without much detail, the camera does nothing. Doesn't hunt and grind for focus ... just NOTHING. Pretty disconcerting issue.

dave

Check your custom functions, it could actually be enabled to not even try AF if it doesnt think it can lock on..surprised nowone mentioned this ;)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2009 22:31 |  #37

KenjiS wrote in post #9248778 (external link)
Check your custom functions, it could actually be enabled to not even try AF if it doesnt think it can lock on..surprised nowone mentioned this ;)

I think the real point is that if you try to focus on something "light colored without much detail" AF is a crapshoot. It may or may not happen. Good suggestion though.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2009 22:32 |  #38

Scout7id wrote in post #9248832 (external link)
I think the real point is that if you try to focus on something "light colored without much detail" AF is a crapshoot. It may or may not happen. Good suggestion though.

Well true, but i think he's more mad it wont even TRY so yeh :)

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2009 22:37 |  #39

You know what KenjiS, you might be onto something. Maybe he was playing with custom functions and turned on III-4!?

-- Don Fuller --

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 22, 2009 22:38 |  #40

I'm a little surprised by some of the comments in the thread, such as "the auto-focus system is too complex". I for one, think the choices for auto-focus on the 7D are outstanding. There are many ways to configure it for what works best for you...given the particular situation. I haven't had much time to play with my 7D yet, but so far, it's been nothing short of outstanding.

Bryan

My Gear List

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2009 22:43 |  #41

bps wrote in post #9248870 (external link)
I'm a little surprised by some of the comments in the thread, such as "the auto-focus system is too complex". I for one, think the choices for auto-focus on the 7D are outstanding. There are many ways to configure it for what works best for you...given the particular situation. I haven't had much time to play with my 7D yet, but so far, it's been nothing short of outstanding.

Bryan

I think its just so radically different thats all..

I thought it was a little "Bwuh" at first but i think ill get used to it when i get my 7D ;)

I thought the same thing about my EOS-3...[Zomg, what the heck? I have 45-points of AF? Not 1?! Thats hard D:]

gdl357
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 22, 2009 22:49 |  #42

scpictaker wrote in post #9248476 (external link)
I too went from a 50D to the 7D and had all the same worries, but I got over them after about the first day!!! This AF is simply AWESOME!!! After I gripped my 50D I will never go without one. The camera just feels more "complete" My only problem is that nobody wants to buy my 50D now:(

YAY I just bought the grip for the 7D!

Put your 50D on ebay starting bid $799.00 free shipping.
Next thing you know there will be bids bringing it past the price you wanted. My price was $849 and no one here or on FM wanted it. An MD on ebay won it at $930 final bid.

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."

:p Gear List

gdl357
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 22, 2009 22:52 |  #43

WAF wrote in post #9248539 (external link)
Regarding the new 7D, make sure you have upgraded your software for the 7D (Lightroom and others) or you photo software tools may not be processing the images properly. Lightroom is now 2.6.

I only use DPP and am running the latest 3.7.2.

Diamond ­ Dave
102 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 23, 2009 10:12 |  #44

gdl357 wrote in post #9246665 (external link)
I was going to get the 5D MKII but when I added the price of the camera with a grip and knowing I would have lost more money on my brand new 30MM Sigma i just got (ef-s)...I said forget it. I could not have cancled my ebay bid because 2 guys were bidding on the 50D and it had reached 930 usd, more than I was looking for. Also the fack that I was laid off Nov.30 did not help either on forking out 1.5K more than the 7D just to get my dream camera :cry: Thats the scoop.

Okay, if you were happy with the 50d, why did you want a 5d mkII? Was there a shot that you just couldn't get with the 50d, did you need better weatherproofing, what?

Sorry to rub it in, but it just seems like an upgrade for an upgrade's sake.

Too late now. You'll probably love the 7d, but this is a lesson learned in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. On the plus side, you now own the best APS-C camera out there. :D

Sorry about the layoff, too.:(

gdl357
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 23, 2009 10:31 |  #45

Diamond Dave wrote in post #9251136 (external link)
Okay, if you were happy with the 50d, why did you want a 5d mkII? Was there a shot that you just couldn't get with the 50d, did you need better weatherproofing, what?

Sorry to rub it in, but it just seems like an upgrade for an upgrade's sake.

Too late now. You'll probably love the 7d, but this is a lesson learned in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. On the plus side, you now own the best APS-C camera out there. :D

Sorry about the layoff, too.:(

OK...there were a few things that made me chose the the 5DMKII.

1) my 17-40 would become a wide angle again so since I use to use only film and since the 50D was my first camera, I would feel like I was back to the days of film where it was less confusing when changing my L lens to another, focal lenght wise.

2) no popup flash

3)I was suppose to get the 5dMKI many years ago, instead I kept on going the film rout. I figured this would be some closure to me since I would finaly be able to get one, but last year I got married and bought a house and have a killer 2K/month mortgage to pay so I had to drop the FF mentality.

When I saw the features the 7D had and when I saw the price difference between the 5dMKII and the 7d, in the situation that I am presently in, I for sure went with the 7D. It's like Canon gave me a present this year...a Mini 1D series for the price for two rebels. The 7D has so many features, I am sure I will be well of for a few years with this camera. Infact with a grip on it I wonder how much diferent a person using a $5K 1dMKIII would pair up with a camera 1/3 it's price. If I was a pro spending the big cash on 1d series cameras, right now I would be pissed at Canon for releasing the amateur 7D with the better autofocus and making it water sealed is another no no. HAHA

Thx.

THE MAIN FEATURE I wanted to get the 7D for was the Auto whitebalance is suposedly MUCH better than the 50D. From what I read it is rarely off as compared to the 50D which is all over the place and was a pain in editing each picture in a sequence to look a like.

That's it.

sponsored links

4,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
I feel a little sick
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.