Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 17:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Duck with 7D

Rekd
199 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2009 17:12 |  #1

I'm starting to get the hang of the 7D (my first DSLR). The one thing that's clear to me is that the kit lens is not the way to go. I've got a couple of EFs that are over a decade old and only use them when I have to.

I took the boys to the park to feed the ducks and got a few good shots. I think this is the best one. No post processing except cropping/resizing and the border/watermark.

C&C welcome.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/4208143872_70e45d614a_o.jpg

I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm getting there, and things like this do help build confidence.

Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 125 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

What's in your (external link) sippy cup?
My stuff:
A low-light hi-def rapid shooter, a sniper, a couple old school 35s.

Some L, a nifty f/1.4, a kit IS, some slow EFs and two crappy Qs.

sponsored links
adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 22, 2009 17:51 |  #2

Nice picture, glad you are getting to grips with your 7d it is going to be my next purchase

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 22, 2009 18:57 |  #3

Congrats on the 7D -- it sure does have a learning curve.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

Rekd
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2009 19:49 |  #4

Thanks.

I guess it's better that I went straight to the 7D for my first DSLR. (Well, actually I had a 50D for a couple weeks but didn't get past automatic settings so it's moot.)

I've seen enough from real photogs with real equip that I'm convinced I made the best choice I could make for the money.

My stuff:

skydiver_8
362 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 22, 2009 19:58 as a reply to  @ Rekd's post |  #5

Nice...I'm jealous, I wish I could say that my first camera was the 7D. Clearly it blows the doors off of my XSI.

===============

What if the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about?

Rekd
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2009 20:51 |  #6

I was shooting motorsports with a Sony Cybershot, so this is a much different beast. I'm getting happier and happier every time I click the shutter.

My stuff:

Jeremy87
109 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 22, 2009 21:43 |  #7

Ok no one has given you any feed back on the photo so here i go. Since you are a self proclaimed wildlife newbie i'm going to bring up a whole bunch of things so don't think i'm being vindictive or nasty.

Ok first thing is DOF. Your focus point is slap bang in the middle of the duck, which would have been fine except your aperture is too open and the tip of the tail and the beak are out of focus. Next time you either need to focus on the head (Having the eye as the sharpest point if the general rule for wildlife unless trying to highlight a specific feature) or close down your aperture so that the whole duck is in focus. Your shutter speed is about right 1/250th is about as slow as you could go, the duck is moving and you don't want motion blurr so this means you need to increase the iso. You have good natural light so going up to 800 shouldn't be an issue although i like to work at 400 alot of the time.

Framing. Ok so you've got the reflection of said duck, but the crop has scalped the poor bugger. Assuming that the you've cropped it this way change the framing to 3:2 portrait instead of square and give the picture a bit of room for the reflection, this makes the reflection a point of interest instead of a distraction. If you don't have the whole reflection then recrop in landscape tight in on the subject.

Border. I like it actually, don't normally like borders on wildlife but this one isn't too bold that it detracts and because it is translucent it sought of works with the watery feel.

Light levels. ok getting into the nitty gritty stuff now. Shooting on the water can be a pain for you light meter in av or tv mode it will get a random flash of light from a ripple etc and make your settings jump up and down like a gazelle on eckies. This is a good time to go into manual and work out out the exposure on the lcd screen and stick with it. I bring this up cuase you havea bit of blow out on the white feathers, picky stuff but I noticed it so worht mentioning.

Finally post work. I'm not a big photoshopper myself. I tend to think that nature photography should look natural. But that doesn't mean you can't use it to lift the image. An unsharp mask really heps bring out detail for computor moniter viewing (it will also bring some of the out of focus beak back a bit ;) ), and playing with a few simple things like exposure and saturation can make the shot look that much better.

Anyway i hope you find this constructive, keep at it.

Jeremy

http://jeremyringma.de​viantart.com/ (external link)

Rekd
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2009 23:05 |  #8

Jeremy, excellent critique. Very constructive, thank you much! I can/will apply what I've learned from you on my next trip.

I can't change the ISO or DOF and not quite sure how well I can adjust the light levels in PP, but I re-did the cropping and unsharped it a bit. Perhaps a bit too much. Thanks again.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/4208143872_70e45d614a_o.jpg

If you've got suggestions on how to better PP this, I'd be happy to share the original with you. ;)

My stuff:

Jeremy87
109 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 23, 2009 18:45 |  #9

yeh much better crop, probably a touch to far as you said but you get the idea. Where it is in focus the feather detail is really good.

Michael_B
817 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 23, 2009 19:34 |  #10

I was thinking dropping the ISO to 100 increasing the aperture to say f8 and using 1/250 shutter. How would that have turned out?

My Gallery (external link)

50D, 18-55 IS, 70-200 f4L[COLOR=black], 430EX II, BG-E2N, 200-400 IS USM L w/1.4x..thats right, getting ready.

Jeremy87
109 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 23, 2009 21:29 |  #11

xs5875 wrote in post #9254053 (external link)
I was thinking dropping the ISO to 100 increasing the aperture to say f8 and using 1/250 shutter. How would that have turned out?

That would be about 1.5 stops underexposed, even the whites are only less than half over. you'd need to sent the iso the other way up to 320 or 400 etc if you want to close the aperture down.

Michael_B
817 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 24, 2009 09:31 |  #12

Gotcha. I just finished reading the understanding exposure and am trying to use manual mode and make better decisions...point taken!

My Gallery (external link)

50D, 18-55 IS, 70-200 f4L[COLOR=black], 430EX II, BG-E2N, 200-400 IS USM L w/1.4x..thats right, getting ready.

Maahes34
41 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 26, 2009 12:31 |  #13

Still like the first shot that was taken. It is a nice shot.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,716 posts
Gallery: 232 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2009 16:06 as a reply to  @ Maahes34's post |  #14

If you have photoshop, you might try using the highlights/shadows adjustments. Here's how that looks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links

2,594 views & 0 likes for this thread
Duck with 7D
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.