Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography Theory

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 23, 2009 14:07 |  #1

I am looking for books on the the theory of photography similar to Camera Lucida by Roland Barthes and On Photography by Susan Sontag. These are my foundation texts. Does anyone have any suggestions for something more contemporary? Particularly I am looking for something written after the digital age took over. Any ideas?

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 23, 2009 16:22 |  #2

ions wrote in post #9252497 (external link)
I am looking for books on the the theory of photography similar to Camera Lucida by Roland Barthes and On Photography by Susan Sontag. These are my foundation texts. Does anyone have any suggestions for something more contemporary? Particularly I am looking for something written after the digital age took over. Any ideas?

Not having read either of the two you mention, I cannot compare my recommendations to those two, but I can offer suggestions what I think you are interested in:

BIG + for the Freeman book, The Photographer's Eye (external link). Very interesting, relevant examples and concise (though a little sparse) text. Well worth it and very valuable information. My shooting style is slow to change, so what this book has done for me is that it has made me a much better editor of my own work. After shooting, I am much more decisive on what shot to work on and what shots to forget, and more importantly, I know why.

Another recommendation is Perception and Imaging: Photography - A Way of Seeing by Richard Zakia. (external link) This it a little bit more scholarly than the Freeman book, delving more into perception, how we see, how the brain interprets and makes sense of what we see, and how to use that to create better photographs. (4 stars on Amazon, but clearly not for everyone, Eleven 5's, Two 2's and Two 1's - personally, I am in the same camp as the Eleven.)

Both of my copies are very well worn.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 23, 2009 16:57 |  #3

Thank you, the Richard Zakia book looks like it will be particularly useful.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

PBeeee
559 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2009 21:09 |  #4

World History of Photography by Rosemblum is useful for understanding the progression of photography. Good reference for further study of individuals and their work. Not alot on digi but the foundations laid out there are very important to understanding theory in my opinion.

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2009 21:23 |  #5

Thanks, just picked up a copy of The Photographer's Eye

Some Stuff

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 24, 2009 14:41 |  #6

Sounds like your looking for history and theory. I've found these 2 interesting

Photographers - a sourcebook for historical research - by Carl Mautz publishing
and
Focal Encyclopaedia of Photography - Michael Peres

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

1,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography Theory
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.