Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Dec 2009 (Friday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sufficient for Photo Editing?

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 25, 2009 10:56 |  #1

I am not at all a computer "wiz" but would like to know whether you guys feel that this 27" iMac 512MG unit should well cover my personal photoediting needs (Photoshop CS4):

2 8GHZ quad-core Intel Core 17 processor
16GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM (4x4GB)
2TB serial ATA drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
8x double layer superdrive

Thanks for your help.

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 25, 2009 11:38 |  #2

b.d.bop wrote in post #9261444 (external link)
I am not at all a computer "wiz" but would like to know whether you guys feel that this 27" iMac 512MG unit should well cover my personal photoediting needs (Photoshop CS4):

2 8GHZ quad-core Intel Core 17 processor
16GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM (4x4GB)
2TB serial ATA drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
8x double layer superdrive

Thanks for your help.

Please just copy the specs on the page rather than retyping it.

Either way, if those are the spec I think they are (2.8GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 2TB drive, etc), then you're just throwing your money away. If you MUST go the apple route, stick to 4GB (not the ridiculously overpriced 16GB option), and 1TB drive.

Then, if you need more memory, you go to newegg.com or another site like that, and buy more memory. 8GB is more than enough for photo, and it's only about $50-80 to buy two more 2gb sticks (which apple charges $200 for). Same with HDD, where you can get a 2TB firewire drive for about $200, meaning you'll have 3TB total (1tb internal, and often faster than 2TB externals, 2TB external, which would be fast enough for photo))

Unless you already have a Mac and all programs for Mac, I highly suggest going with something else, it'll have the same processor, same ram, more internal disk space, better case (heat wise), usually esata (much better than FW, especially when using a FIS switch and an esata RAID solution), and cheaper, enough so that you can get dual monitor solutions or even high end photo monitors.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 25, 2009 11:57 |  #3

basroil wrote in post #9261581 (external link)
Please just copy the specs on the page rather than retyping it.

Either way, if those are the spec I think they are (2.8GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 2TB drive, etc), then you're just throwing your money away. If you MUST go the apple route, stick to 4GB (not the ridiculously overpriced 16GB option), and 1TB drive.

Then, if you need more memory, you go to newegg.com or another site like that, and buy more memory. 8GB is more than enough for photo, and it's only about $50-80 to buy two more 2gb sticks (which apple charges $200 for). Same with HDD, where you can get a 2TB firewire drive for about $200, meaning you'll have 3TB total (1tb internal, and often faster than 2TB externals, 2TB external, which would be fast enough for photo))

Unless you already have a Mac and all programs for Mac, I highly suggest going with something else, it'll have the same processor, same ram, more internal disk space, better case (heat wise), usually esata (much better than FW, especially when using a FIS switch and an esata RAID solution), and cheaper, enough so that you can get dual monitor solutions or even high end photo monitors.

Thanks, basroil. I know that you really know your stuff, I've read many of your posts. I tried to copy and paste but the Forum's box wouldn't take the paste in (stayed blank).

I have the Jones really badly to switch to Mac at this point. I priced out a Mac Pro decked out with their best processor 2.95 MHz and some other upgrades and I was getting into a $9,000 unit - seemed way overkill for my purposes and level of understanding.

Truth is, I'd like a sort of Lexus work station having very little knowledge regarding what's under the hood, but wanting 'headroom' to spare. And with maximum dependability, realizing nothing's foolproof.

I recently retired and this is something I've sort of been waiting to do for quite a while, even if it's a splurge.
Help out a relatively computer illiterate photographer here. Please stay within the Mac realm.

Appreciate your input! :)

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 25, 2009 12:17 |  #4

Definitely don't go for the 16gb of ram just yet! Far to pricy! But then, if you are not comfortable replacing ram (which is dead easy with a quick google or vistit to ifixit.com). Otherwise you have a great system. Be sure to get a couple of external hard drives for back up and time machine!

Deviant Art (external link)

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 25, 2009 12:38 |  #5

mattyb240 wrote in post #9261685 (external link)
Definitely don't go for the 16gb of ram just yet! Far to pricy! But then, if you are not comfortable replacing ram (which is dead easy with a quick google or vistit to ifixit.com). Otherwise you have a great system. Be sure to get a couple of external hard drives for back up and time machine!

Thanks, mattyb!

Aside from price, is there a downside to the 16gb of RAM from the getgo?

Also, does the Time Machine application come with the iMac or is that separate software one purchases?

Lastly, if I start with the 16gb of RAM, then does my backup external harddrive need to be even larger?

Thanks in advance.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 25, 2009 12:46 |  #6

b.d.bop wrote in post #9261622 (external link)
Thanks, basroil. I know that you really know your stuff, I've read many of your posts. I tried to copy and paste but the Forum's box wouldn't take the paste in (stayed blank).

I have the Jones really badly to switch to Mac at this point. I priced out a Mac Pro decked out with their best processor 2.95 MHz and some other upgrades and I was getting into a $9,000 unit - seemed way overkill for my purposes and level of understanding.

Truth is, I'd like a sort of Lexus work station having very little knowledge regarding what's under the hood, but wanting 'headroom' to spare. And with maximum dependability, realizing nothing's foolproof.

I recently retired and this is something I've sort of been waiting to do for quite a while, even if it's a splurge.
Help out a relatively computer illiterate photographer here. Please stay within the Mac realm.

Appreciate your input! :)

For your needs, don't bother with Mac Pro, just stick to an i7 860 (2.8GHz chip) and 8gb ram. But NEVER go for apple's RAM, it's overpriced, and adding RAM is as easy as replacing the memory card in your camera. Stick to the 1TB disk as well, adding external drives is as easy as plugging in your card reader to the computer.

And if you want the Lexus of workstations, that means you only want an expensive Toyota, which means the Dell Studio XPS9000 is what you want. Apple is more of a Benz, performance isn't really matter as long as it's responsive, just the look and experience that you care about.

And since you are (self described) computer illiterate, you will want to have anti-virus and firewall software for any computer you get, even if it runs OSX)

And reliability wise, desktops are only as reliable as the maintenance you can perform on it. Monthly de-dusting goes a long way to keeping computers running in top shape. My first Dell got cleaning ever other month, and it lasted almost a decade before the hdd failed. Everything else works just fine even today. I have yet to have a computer completely fail, and the only components to fail were laptop motherboards, which you can't clean regularly and damage was caused by spills anyway, and graphics cards (because I didn't clean it regularly and the fan lubricant gummed up with dust). Mac Pros are easy to clean, most non-apple computers are easy to clean, iMacs are nearly impossible to clean unless you are (very, very) good with computers.

EDIT:

b.d.bop wrote in post #9261765 (external link)
Thanks, mattyb!

Aside from price, is there a downside to the 16gb of RAM from the getgo?

Also, does the Time Machine application come with the iMac or is that separate software one purchases?

Lastly, if I start with the 16gb of RAM, then does my backup external harddrive need to be even larger?

Thanks in advance.

Downsides are: Price, Hibernation hdd space use, the fact you will NOT use anywhere near 16GB ram ever.

Time Machine comes with OSX 10.5 or 10.6, so any new mac will have it.

And no, you don't need a larger disk to go with larger memory.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 25, 2009 12:47 as a reply to  @ b.d.bop's post |  #7

But then, if you are not comfortable replacing ram (which is dead easy with a quick google or vistit to ifixit.com).

Or pay the star student taking computer tech at the local high school $50 to install it and still come out ahead.

No. The increased ram provides more real-time "working space" for Photoshop and other applications that operate in ram (including most Photoshop plug-ins, which usually (if not always) need ram outside of what Photoshop reserves for itself.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 25, 2009 12:52 |  #8

b.d.bop wrote in post #9261622 (external link)
Please stay within the Mac realm.

basroil wrote in post #9261792 (external link)
Dell Studio XPS9000

Hadn't noticed that Apple purchased Dell? ;)

does the Time Machine application come with the iMac or is that separate software one purchases?

Time machine is built into OSX.
You will need a hard drive for it.

Ram has nothing to do with external HDD space.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 25, 2009 15:41 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #9261819 (external link)
Hadn't noticed that Apple purchased Dell? ;)

Time machine is built into OSX.
You will need a hard drive for it.

Ram has nothing to do with external HDD space.

I didn't know OP knew the difference ;)

He said that he knows next to nothing about computers, so he really doesn't know the differences between OSX and windows, apple and dell, pre-built, built to order, and home built. I'm simply telling him to look at other things before buying, after all, buying a computer without knowing how it works, what the limitations are, or not having the willingness to learn about it is like buying an SLR without knowing what exposure is, single lens, and not caring to learn about exposure or even taking it out of green mode. He'll be much happier with whatever he buys if he knows that that's what will be the best system for him. Doesn't matter what OS or brand it is, all that matters is that he knows why he got it.

Gear List

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 25, 2009 16:03 |  #10

basroil wrote in post #9262298 (external link)
I didn't know OP knew the difference ;)

He said that he knows next to nothing about computers, so he really doesn't know the differences between OSX and windows, apple and dell, pre-built, built to order, and home built. I'm simply telling him to look at other things before buying, after all, buying a computer without knowing how it works, what the limitations are, or not having the willingness to learn about it is like buying an SLR without knowing what exposure is, single lens, and not caring to learn about exposure or even taking it out of green mode. He'll be much happier with whatever he buys if he knows that that's what will be the best system for him. Doesn't matter what OS or brand it is, all that matters is that he knows why he got it.

I have to admit I agree with you :) which I don't do very often when someone mentions wanting a Mac.

Deviant Art (external link)

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 25, 2009 16:10 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #11

Thanks a million, RDKirk, René and basroil for chiming in.

I do know that OSX refers to Mac's operating system as opposed to MS Windows, but not too much more than that, LOL!  :o

I've had four or five PC's over the years, so I'm not a total idiot, but damned close. When you guys start talking about daisy chains, SATA's, RAID cards, etc., I get a little scared. (The only parts I'm really familiar with are perfused by blood vessels.) :p

René, when I asked "if I start with the 16gb of RAM, then does my backup external harddrive need to be even larger?", I meant to say, "if I start with a 1TB hard drive, then does my backup external harddrive need to be even larger?"

Another question - I've heard a few folks referring to heat buildup in the units (basroil mentioned that, too) - is that a big threat in an iMac?

Also, when you guys talk about subsequently adding more RAM or larger/additional hard drives to a preconfigured iMac, I assume these are externals connected via USB cords or firewires?

Thanks for your patience with my questions. There might even be one or two folks out there who are also learning something here besides me! :lol:

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 25, 2009 16:12 |  #12

basroil wrote in post #9262298 (external link)

Basroil seems to forget that 95% of the users out there aren't like him. ;) ;)

I have a wide array of computer user friends, having even built a few computers for small # of photogs here in SoCal that charge more for photo shoots than most of us can even dream about. And you know how many of these folks actually care about the ins and outs of computer specifications? I'd say less than 5% of them.

I've learned in building/buying computers for friends to ask two (and ONLY TWO) questions -- what do hope to do with it? and what's your budget? After that, I shut up and build them the computer. On forums like this, it's fine (and yes, fun!) to discuss the ins and outs of hardware....but sometimes those of us in the 5% who actually know what "Nehalem" means have to realize that the vast majority of people out there don't give a rats a$$ about this stuff. And good for them!! I don't see any reason why they should know....unless they find it personally interesting to them.

I have a friend in the OC that told me a couple years ago, "Man, how do you keep up with all of this stuff? That's awesome!" I told him I'd easily trade him that knowledge for the ability to charge people $5k for a fancy wedding shoot! ;) Why should this guy worry about learning all he can about computer hardware? He's got more important stuff to do!

Photography does bring a strange mixture together of engineer-types that love hardware specifications and artsy-types that are all about the final product. In the OP's case here, I think all he wants to hear is -- "If you are wanting a strong machine for serious photo editing, AND if you can afford the 27-inch price tag, it's a great computer!"

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 25, 2009 16:20 |  #13

BeritOlam wrote in post #9262395 (external link)
Basroil seems to forget that 95% of the users out there aren't like him. ;) ;)

I have a wide array of computer user friends, having even built a few computers for small # of photogs here in SoCal that charge more for photo shoots than most of us can even dream about. And you know how many of these folks actually care about the ins and outs of computer specifications? I'd say less than 5% of them.

I've learned in building/buying computers for friends to ask two (and ONLY TWO) questions -- what do hope to do with it? how much money do have to spend? After that, I shut up and build them the computer. On forums like this, it's fine to discuss the ins and outs of hardware....but sometimes those of us in the 5% who actually know what "Nehalen" means have to realize that the vast majority of people out there don't give a rats a$$ about this stuff. And good for them. I don't see any reason why they should know....unless they find it personally interesting to them.

I have a friend in the OC that told me a couple years ago, "Man, how do you keep up with all of this stuff? That's awesome!" I told him I'd easily trade him that knowledge for the ability to charge people $5k for a fancy wedding shoot! ;)

Photography does bring a strange mixture together of engineer-types that love hardware specifications and artsy-types that are all about the final product. In the OP's case here, I think all he wants to hear is -- "If you are wanting a strong machine for serious photo editing, AND if you can afford the 27-inch price tag, it's a great computer!"

Well put, BeritOlam! You've stated it beautifully re: different types of folks out there and their angle on things photographic - there are loads of folks who drive great cars but could care less about their air filters or carburetors.
Now on the other hand I'm not quite as vapid as "...all he wants to hear is -- "If you are wanting a strong machine for serious photo editing, AND if you can afford the 27-inch price tag, it's a great computer!" :confused:

Mastamarek
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 25, 2009 16:26 |  #14

unless you can prove to me that your name is Bill Gates, getting 16Gb of ram from apple has no logical sense, what so ever. You don't even need 16Gb of ram for photo editing. I do hi def video edits in avid or FCP and I never needed 16Gb of ram. That $4000 extra price wont make your photos any better or speed up your editing or make it more secure. Its pointless unless you have a specific need of 16gb ram, which in your case - you don't. You would have to run multiple server systems on one machine to even come close to using all that 16Gb of ram.

[Facebook® (external link)]
[imassmedia.pl (external link)]
[Flickr (external link)]
[My Blog (external link)]

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 25, 2009 16:42 |  #15

Mastamarek wrote in post #9262441 (external link)
unless you can prove to me that your name is Bill Gates, getting 16Gb of ram from apple has no logical sense, what so ever. You don't even need 16Gb of ram for photo editing. I do hi def video edits in avid or FCP and I never needed 16Gb of ram. That $4000 extra price wont make your photos any better or speed up your editing or make it more secure. Its pointless unless you have a specific need of 16gb ram, which in your case - you don't. You would have to run multiple server systems on one machine to even come close to using all that 16Gb of ram.

No, I'm no Bill Gates, LOL. I am blessed to be comfortable, though, and I spend lots of time on the machine. This information is helping me tremendously, and putting things into perspective, though. Thanks for the input.

sponsored links

4,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sufficient for Photo Editing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.