Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Dec 2009 (Friday) 23:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What carry-on or whishful thinking?

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 25, 2009 23:10 |  #1

Guys and gals, is there a bag out there that can hold the following gear and stay within airline carry-on specs?

1 pro body camera and 5dII
70-200 2.8 IS
16-35 2.8
50 1.4
100mm macro
580 exII
1.4 extender
radio shutter release
various screw in polarizers
Lee filter holder and 3filter pouch
misc little bits.

Preferrably something that doesn't scream photography gear, but that is not a requirement. Also, I could always put the radio shutter release and filters in my checked baggage to save a wee bit of room. Maybe even the flash or something if necessary.

Was thinking maybe Domke F-1X or J-1 Journalist.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

sponsored links
jeromego
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 25, 2009 23:46 |  #2

Think Tank Airport Security or International.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

R-C-G
109 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 26, 2009 02:41 |  #3

I have a Domke J-1 and have taken it carry-on many times and never had a problem.

I carry in it:
Canon 40D (gripped)
Canon Elan 7NE (gripped)
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
Canon 580exII
Canon 580ex
Skyport radio triggers
Pluse batteries, filters, etc.

My buddy has a F-1X and carries about the same amount of gear as me. The F-1X is a bit longer so it holds two bodies a bit easier (one with lens attached one without) though the J-1 is a bit deeper. Personally I like the J-1 better as the side flaps cover the pockets better and have clips and velcro vs. just velcro on the F-1X.

gear
flickr (external link)
kuchsphotography.com (external link)

montanawild
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 26, 2009 02:56 |  #4

jeromego wrote in post #9264025 (external link)
Think Tank Airport Security or International.

Sorry, I should have specified....shoulder bag. Thanks though.

gear list:

montanawild
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 26, 2009 02:57 |  #5

R-C-G wrote in post #9264376 (external link)
I have a Domke J-1 and have taken it carry-on many times and never had a problem.

I carry in it:
Canon 40D (gripped)
Canon Elan 7NE (gripped)
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
Canon 580exII
Canon 580ex
Skyport radio triggers
Pluse batteries, filters, etc.

My buddy has a F-1X and carries about the same amount of gear as me. The F-1X is a bit longer so it holds two bodies a bit easier (one with lens attached one without) though the J-1 is a bit deeper. Personally I like the J-1 better as the side flaps cover the pockets better and have clips and velcro vs. just velcro on the F-1X.

SOunds like a similar amount of gear to what I plan on carrying. Good info.

gear list:

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 26, 2009 04:17 |  #6

Thats a lot for a shoulder bag. Any reason not to use rolling cases?

Maybe look at the Lowepro Pro Roller x300? It is a rolling case but converts to a backpack.

http://products.lowepr​o.com …o-Roller-x300,2164,16.htm (external link)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

montanawild
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 26, 2009 05:03 |  #7

Because I want to use the carry-on once I reach my destination. I don't want to drag a wheeled bag down the beaches of Hawaii, nor do I like the backpacks unless hiking for wildlife with supertelephoto lenses. I have at the house a large wheeled bag and a hard pelican case both of which are too large. I have the lenstrekker 600 backpack for supertelephoto work, and a Canon shoulder bag that isn't quite large enough and I could live without the advertisement stitching on the outside of the bag that reads "CANON". LOL I'm a grown man in great physical condition, I don't have a problem hauling a lot of gear around. Only reason I posted this is that there are no gear stores for hundreds of miles from me, and I can search online until my head hurts. I like real world feedback. I am leaning toward the Domke F-1X, but I was hoping that all that gear would have fit in the medium Jack bag by Jill-e.

gear list:

R-C-G
109 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 26, 2009 07:13 |  #8

themadman wrote in post #9264510 (external link)
Thats a lot for a shoulder bag. Any reason not to use rolling cases?

Well I was going to get a gym membership, but opted for the bag instead ;)
Actually, doing photojournalism I need more portability than a roller can offer and the ability to access my gear without delay. When I eventually grab a harness system I'll probably move over a ThinkTank roller.

gear
flickr (external link)
kuchsphotography.com (external link)

DeVVitt
362 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 26, 2009 08:12 |  #9

R-C-G wrote in post #9264376 (external link)

Lovely bag. Mine is pretty empty still, but slowly growing weight. Really love mine.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 26, 2009 08:51 |  #10

F1x or the Domke F7 Double AF. I've used them both many times with 2-3 bodies and 15-30 Sigma, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 IS and 100-400, a couple of flashes and maybe a couple of primes and stuff. The F7 also takes the 300 f/4 instead of the 100-400. I've even fit the F1 under the seat in some aircraft.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
2,003 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 26, 2009 09:24 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #11

As stated previously, check out the Lowepro Pro Roller x200 or x300. They are multi-functional, and will do the job.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 26, 2009 10:22 |  #12

The Lowepro Stealth Reporter series will handle it, but it will be heavy. These are super weil-made bags with a waterproof cover. Pick the size that works for your gear.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 26, 2009 13:43 |  #13

If you like to store your lenses vertically than the SR seies are not tall enough, based on when I bought my ProMag2 and was trying it out versus the SR's they had. None of them were tall enough for the 70-200 f4.

The ProMag fits everything you see in my Sig tag, except the CZ which would have to be stacked on top of another lens, such the 85/1.8... everything is accessible while on the move which is why I bought it. Sling bags are useless for access, imho. Been there, done that.

I don't see a way of geting a second body in, though.

I don't know if Lowepro make a bigger(wider) bag but if your only choices are laying the 70-200 horizontally then just about anything goes.

Also I found the ProMag better built than the SR series. If you do find a shoulder bag...it's going to be heavy with all your gear for extended wear....make sure it also comes with a waist belt. Main belt cross shouldered and the waist belt...Worth it's weight in gold, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

LIVE4SPD
53 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 26, 2009 14:43 |  #14

Think Tank UD 40 or a Stealth Reporter 550 will hold all of that.

2731 ­ drill
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 26, 2009 18:01 |  #15

Look into the Tamrac Ultra Pro series , i just recieved the Ultra Pro 13 .

sponsored links

2,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
What carry-on or whishful thinking?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.