Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lacie SAFE - terrible trouble

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 30, 2009 15:15 |  #1

I bought an 1TB Lacie SAFE (by mistake) not realising what the SAFE designation meant - its a biometric drive (use fingerprint to open it) .

Its been nothing but trouble since I got it - recently it suffered a hardware crash so I lost all my date & Lacie put a new drive in but it worse than ever - seems to work ok but then suddenly I get: disk needs initialsing etc and all my data has gone again.

It also randomly mounts & dismouts; sometimes it mounts, I open it with my fingerprint - but the icon does not appear on the desktop!
Ive already had the power supply replaced.

It loooks to me as if its not compatible with an imac - my lacie D2 quadra spins down fine when the imac shuts down - this stays running.

Ive wasted hours putting data back on only for it to vanish without warning!

Has anyone esle had similar problems?

I am thinking of just junking the drive even though its still under the manufacturers 3 year warranty.

Gear List

sponsored links
russ_hillis
299 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2009 15:24 |  #2

Dunno. I'm assuming this is an external drive. So the 1st thing to replace is the cable and make absolutely sure it's seated properly.

My greatest dream, is to find a wife selling her husbands gear for what he told her it was worth! Zenfolio (external link)Promo Code BU4-Y6F-KHG My Flickr (external link) 7D Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8, Nifty 50, Vivitar 135mm f2.8, Tokina ATF/D 80-400mm

pipspeak
77 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 30, 2009 20:46 |  #3

I hate Lacie drives. Look nice but seem to die too easily, often because of dodgy power circuits. IMO it's always better to build your own external drives -- buy a bare OEM drive and a decent enclosure for about $30 and you generally have a far more robust solution than the all-in-ones.

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 31, 2009 05:18 |  #4

russ_hillis wrote in post #9291359 (external link)
Dunno. I'm assuming this is an external drive. So the 1st thing to replace is the cable and make absolutely sure it's seated properly.

swapped power supply with other lacie I have - same problem

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 31, 2009 05:20 |  #5

pipspeak wrote in post #9293150 (external link)
I hate Lacie drives. Look nice but seem to die too easily, often because of dodgy power circuits. IMO it's always better to build your own external drives -- buy a bare OEM drive and a decent enclosure for about $30 and you generally have a far more robust solution than the all-in-ones.

good idea - not too difficult to do I assume?; I had seen a dock at Maplins where you just stood a bare drive in - seems a good idea also. Will investigate

Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 31, 2009 05:41 |  #6

I wish I'd come across this before ordering 2x 1TB LaCie external drives. I ordered two Western Digital drives, was told they were on back order and allowed myself to be talked into the LaCies. A month later I'm still waiting because guess what? They are on back order.

I'm suspicious. Why talk me out of WD and into LaCie, more profit margin for Warehouse Express?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

russ_hillis
299 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 31, 2009 08:40 |  #7

hania wrote in post #9295139 (external link)
swapped power supply with other lacie I have - same problem

I'm not talking about the power supply I'm talking about the data cable. The issue is symptomatic of a bad data cable or a poor connection.

My greatest dream, is to find a wife selling her husbands gear for what he told her it was worth! Zenfolio (external link)Promo Code BU4-Y6F-KHG My Flickr (external link) 7D Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8, Nifty 50, Vivitar 135mm f2.8, Tokina ATF/D 80-400mm

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 31, 2009 08:45 |  #8

hania wrote in post #9295140 (external link)
good idea - not too difficult to do I assume?; I had seen a dock at Maplins where you just stood a bare drive in - seems a good idea also. Will investigate

I use an ESATA dock. Would never go back to "enclosures".

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 31, 2009 09:32 |  #9

I have one Lacie rugged drive which works flawlessly.

But I do often see a disk dismounting without warning, but as I have about 7 external hard drives, including a G safe, I never know which one it is.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 31, 2009 09:38 |  #10

What does "mount" and "dismount" refer to? My current WD external hard drive is on, but asleep as I write this, but should I need anything from it, or wish to save to it, then its quick enough to restart. So I assume that whats being talked about is something more serious?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

morthcam58
173 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 31, 2009 09:55 |  #11

I'm with MDJAK. Not to discount the OP's valid problems, but I have 3 Lacie external drives and have never had a problem. But they're plain vanilla drives, no biometrics or fancy stuff.

Matt

Sold off all the Canon gear, trying Fuji now

russ_hillis
299 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 31, 2009 10:17 |  #12

Lowner wrote in post #9296072 (external link)
What does "mount" and "dismount" refer to? My current WD external hard drive is on, but asleep as I write this, but should I need anything from it, or wish to save to it, then its quick enough to restart. So I assume that whats being talked about is something more serious?

Mount - (connecting / connected) available & ready to use. Dismount,(disconnectin​g / disconnected) and unavailable for use.

pipspeak
77 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 31, 2009 13:36 |  #13

hania wrote in post #9295140 (external link)

Sticking a drive into an off-the-shelf enclosure is as simple as removing the top of the enclosure and installing the drive with four supplied screws. You can get enclosures with all sorts of port options and most come with decent controller chipsets and replaceable power supplies. Look at online computer equipment retailers for external 3.5" drive enclosures and you should find a pretty good selection with whatever ports you need.

A decent Vantec external enclosure plus a WD Caviar Black 1TB drive would cost about $130 in the US. A similar setup through, say, amazon in the UK would be about £100 (enclosure about 30 and drive about 70)

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 01, 2010 04:12 |  #14

Lowner wrote in post #9296072 (external link)

yes - it dosen't appear on the desktop as being available to use (even though I can hear it running)

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 01, 2010 04:12 |  #15

russ_hillis wrote in post #9295770 (external link)
I'm not talking about the power supply I'm talking about the data cable. The issue is symptomatic of a bad data cable or a poor connection.

Oh- shall try another data cable - thanks

Looked at cables - I had daisy-chained it with firewire 800 from the other lacie drive. I have now connected it with firewire 400 direct to my imac and will see if it behaves better!

Unfortunately my imac only has 1 800 port.

Gear List

sponsored links

2,327 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lacie SAFE - terrible trouble
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.