Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Colour Cast from F-Spot to UFRaw

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2009 16:20 |  #1

I use F-Spot tp preview images and the ones I want to do something with I right click and open in Gimp which uses the UFRaw plugin to read the raw file. I have never had this happen before but with my first attempt at star photos the following has happened:

This is how the photo appears in F-spot (and on the cameras screen):

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Then, right-click open in Gimp with nothing else after this is what opens:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I don't recall changing any settings in UFRaw but now it appears all my photos are turning out with a different colour cast and underexposed in UFRaw when they don't appear that way in F-spot or on the cameras screen. UFRaw didn't always behave this way.

Any thoughts?

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2009 23:40 |  #2

Nobody has any thoughts on this? I've wanted to share some photos but until I can get Gimp/UFRaw to play nice I can't. :(

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 01, 2010 07:29 |  #3

I don't use Gimp or F-spot, so can't comment directly. Maybe a photo with more light and subject matter would help us see what you are seeing. How does the final jpeg conversion look? Maybe post another set of screen shots of another image and then the final jpeg out of Gimp and we could see more?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2010 08:27 |  #4

ions wrote in post #9300242 (external link)
Nobody has any thoughts on this? I've wanted to share some photos but until I can get Gimp/UFRaw to play nice I can't. :(

Are you looking at the jpeg preview of your RAW file when you open it in f-spot? That could explain the difference.

From the screen grab of UFRaw you posted, the White Balance is set to Manual. Try to set it to "Camera". That'd be my best bet.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2010 14:45 |  #5

As far as I can tell I am not looking at a jpeg preview in F-spot, and only shoot raw so I know it's not a jpeg file I'm looking at. Maybe I am? How do I know for sure? But even if I am what is in Fspot matches the camera's display which is what I want. In UFRaw no matter what I set it to - Manual WB, Camera, or Auto it's still not showing the image as F-Spot or the camera does. All 3 are underexposed considerably compared to what the camera and F-spot display.

I tried a few examples of snow shots but other than a mild darkening there isn't a change in colour cast, although the darkening does bother me it is quite slight; certainly not as severe as what is happening with the star shots. Here's another example with star shots that may better show what's going on:

F-spot:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

UFRaw:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

flickr (external link)

cmos_censor
48 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2010 15:11 as a reply to  @ ions's post |  #6

I don't use F-Spot (I use GQview) to preview, but I do use UFRaw.

There is a 1/4 res. jpeg embedded in my 40D's RAW files that GQView can read. You should be able to tell if you are looking at the jpeg or the raw by the resolution of the image. Have FSpot go 1:1 and see how "zoomed" it appears.

As for UFRaw, make sure you haven't set the different curves, linearity or gamma setting to something strange. What I did, was open a cr2 with UFRaw directly (NOT as a GIMP plugin). You'll get an extra tab that will allow you to save a current settings for UFRaw "just this once". Set all the sliders to some sane default value and then exit UFRaw. Then each time you fire up UFRaw (as an app or a plugin) it will always start with those sane values.

Hope this helps. If not, just say so and I'll post a more in depth explanation.

40D, 100mm macro, 28-135mm kit, 50mm 1.8, 430EX, Sigma Bigma 50-500

SwitchBlade
Goldmember
2,748 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2010 15:20 |  #7

I can confirm that Fspot does use the embedded jpeg in the raw as the preview.

I'd go through all the settings in UFRaw first setting them back to default. Maybe you missed something you changed on the last picture you did to cause this. Sometimes it's memory of settings can be a curse as well as a blessing.

5D | 40D | Σ24 f1.8 | 50 f1.8 II | 85 f1.8 | 70-200 F4L | 540EZ x2 | Nissin Di622

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2010 16:04 |  #8

I must have changed settings in UFRaw at some point. Going to look into getting them back to default.

flickr (external link)

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2010 16:28 |  #9

Just noticed that F-Spot is indeed using jpeg... note the cursor pointing that out:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I like this exposure better than what is in the default settings in UFRaw. The snow is properly exposed and overall I like it. And it matches what the camera screen displays (still have the image on my card). Here is what UFRaw displays in default:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So, assuming I'm not doing something wrong with UFRaw here is this a raw/jpeg issue? Cause if so I like the jpgs better.

flickr (external link)

cmos_censor
48 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2010 17:01 as a reply to  @ ions's post |  #10

For me to get close to what the jpeg looks like:
1. Set white balance to "camera"
2. Gamma .45
3. Linearity .02
I use the "color matrix" camera icc since I can't find a 40D specific one.

That gets me really close to the jpeg on my 40D. I think the camera is also doing a bit of contrast enhancement and sharpening on the jpeg. I wouldn't be shocked if it is also boosting the saturation.

Of course this is just a starting point and assumes the camera got the white balance right and that UFRaw can read the camera's white balance value correctly.

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2010 17:12 |  #11

This experience is making me recall this thread. So the camera has recorded an image in raw but on the screen "lies" to me about the data it recorded which I then have to recreate by fiddling with raw processing to get it to look the way the camera told me it did. Really? I gotta be wrong here...

flickr (external link)

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2010 21:14 |  #12

ions wrote in post #9304077 (external link)
This experience is making me recall this thread. So the camera has recorded an image in raw but on the screen "lies" to me about the data it recorded which I then have to recreate by fiddling with raw processing to get it to look the way the camera told me it did. Really? I gotta be wrong here...

No, you're right. The Raw file includes a smaller JPEG preview of the photo, and the camera does some default processing on the jpeg, like sharpening, increase saturation, etc.

Also, don't trust your camera display too much, it's a tiny screen of low resolution that is not very accurate. Some camera models have better screen than others (the new 920k models are).

RAW files are just that: raw output. So you indeed need to do some post processing until you get a good result. Try the settings cms_censor proposed. Personally I also set the curve slightly towards the top left and boost saturation to 1.50. I like to picture bright, so I usually increase the exposure compensation too (on a shot by shot basis for this settings, sometimes I get the exposure right from the shot itself).

But yeah, bottom line is that you have to do a minimum of post processing on your RAW files. JPEGs are already post processed by the camera itself.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

cmos_censor
48 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2010 22:54 |  #13

ions wrote in post #9304077 (external link)

Just to be clear here. The settings I recommended aren't "fiddling". They get UFRaw set to a baseline that closely matches my 40D hardware. (I could probably get closer with a Canon ICC profile for the camera since that color correction profile is being used in camera to generate the jpeg.) Once you pull a raw image up with those settings, anything you do to the sliders after that is the fiddling part. :)

As I see it, it boils down to this: Do you want these processing steps done for you in camera or do you want to be able to do these steps yourself and then tailor them to suit the specific image's needs? In a larger color space and without lossy compression from the get go.

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 02, 2010 00:08 |  #14

I tried the suggested settings and they did improve the raw images but not to the level that the jpeg preview offers. I guess I have to fiddle until I find what the 7D settings would be. I guess I'm going to have to accept that some screen fiddling is a part of this. I will do so eventually but it will be reluctantly and with a pile of whining.

flickr (external link)

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 02, 2010 00:08 |  #15

Thank you for the help guys! :)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,894 views & 0 likes for this thread
Colour Cast from F-Spot to UFRaw
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.