Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 31 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No more photographers; no more Sports section at Wash. Times

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 31, 2009 14:07 |  #1

Maybe this should go elsewhere, but the Washington Times newspaper shut down the Sports section. It also laid off all 9 staff photographers and a photo editor.

Also the NYTimes is getting photos from readers nowadays.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

sponsored links
mathogre
Goldmember
3,764 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 31, 2009 15:40 |  #2

The Washington Times is about to go under, based on what they've been doing lately.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2009 16:06 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #3

Is it the only paper in town?

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 31, 2009 17:06 |  #4

No, we've also got the Washington Post. But their Sports section is very thin... barely a page for HS, College, or local Pro sports (Nats, Caps, Wiz, Skins).

Unless the event ends before ~2pm deadline, it won't be in the next day's Post.

I'm always impressed when I visit my inlaws for the holidays... we'll stay up until midnight to watch a basketball game or a bowl game... wake up at 6am and it'll be in their morning paper. Probably easier with a smaller paper... wire feeds... no in-house coverage except maybe the local high schools... 20 mile delivery radius. The WashPost probably has a 120 mile delivery radius.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

jenwales
126 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 31, 2009 17:08 |  #5

I don't know anyone who reads the Times, but everyone reads the Post. It's not a newspaper that will be missed much by many. Isn't it owned by the Moonies?

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2009 20:09 as a reply to  @ jenwales's post |  #6

Good to hear that at least one is still available.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 01, 2010 19:40 as a reply to  @ wyofizz's post |  #7

No offense, but I don't know anyone who reads the sports section anymore. Everybody does ESPN online or follows blogs. Bummer about the photographers, though. How on earth are photojournalists supposed to earn a living? It's ironic-the equipment is better than ever and there is no demand for photojournalists. :(

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 01, 2010 20:52 as a reply to  @ Rainyday's post |  #8

ESPN online covers local sports?
Blogs:confused:

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 03, 2010 02:24 |  #9

Online News and Sports coverage is going to be the end for the printed News Papers someday. Eventually they will all be an online thing, if at all. They just can't compete with the inherently lower costs of the internet compaired to having the cost of paper and other printing supplies as well as saleries and insurance for those people to run the expensive machines all keep going up. And don't even think about the overhead (heat, electricity, water) of printing facility. Denver used to be a two newspaper town until the Rocky Mountain News went under a couple of years ago. We are fortunate enough to be left with one great rag in the Denver Post. They have mantained a large staff of photogs for a while now. But who knows what the future holds. I would hate to lose The Denver Post. There is something visural to holding and reading a news paper on a Sunday morning while drinking coffee. Getting your hands dirty from the ink and the smeel too. And besides, how will the local TV news stations know what the news stories are without the newspapers? Don't ask how I know about that crap...

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 04, 2010 14:46 |  #10

Rainyday wrote in post #9304896 (external link)
No offense, but I don't know anyone who reads the sports section anymore.

I do every day.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2010 14:53 |  #11

Newspapers are hurting bad. It's sad. The text generation is too self absorbed to understand what they lost.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

geraldsr
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2010 12:51 |  #12

Liberal news outlets are steadily declining, if they would report and not hide the truth they would flourish.

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 11, 2010 16:49 |  #13

blackhawk wrote in post #9322850 (external link)
Newspapers are hurting bad.

Tell me about it...I'm being made redundant in the UK at the end of the month from a national newspaper.

patwill
108 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 11, 2010 21:05 |  #14

jenwales wrote in post #9298570 (external link)
I don't know anyone who reads the Times, but everyone reads the Post. It's not a newspaper that will be missed much by many. Isn't it owned by the Moonies?

It was owned by the Moonies when it first started out but that may have changed. It is considered an important "voice" in the nation's capitol by the conservative establishment. I think it will receive enough support from that base, much of it in the form of advertising revenue, to stay in business.

The Washington Times never had very wide sports coverage, mostly just a token effort to bolster credibility as a genuine newspaper. The Washington Post, once known as the icon of liberal journalism, has been rapidly drifting toward the center as times become tougher across the industry. Recently the Post has begun using copy and photos supplied by their suburban subsidiary, the Gazette chain, for HS sports coverage. I haven't heard of layoffs for their photographers but they are not filling positions when someone leaves. They have several excellent shooters on staff, including a few who work almost exclusively in sports. But some of the names once familiar as staffers, and still frequently present in the Sports and Metro sections, are now contract shooters as a result of a couple of rounds of buyouts.

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 11, 2010 21:10 |  #15

Sledhed wrote in post #9322788 (external link)
I do every day.

x a bajillion

David W.

sponsored links

1,940 views & 0 likes for this thread
No more photographers; no more Sports section at Wash. Times
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.