Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 31 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Official Shoot the Moon Thread

fotoi
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 22, 2016 21:54 |  #3586

heldGaze wrote in post #17909023 (external link)
Sweet shot. I'm guessing this was done with a 1.4x telephoto extender.

Thank you. Yes, the Canon 1.4 X Version III. Still heavily cropped though. Next time I'll use the 2x to get a little more reach.

sponsored links
tuffty
133 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 23, 2016 01:30 |  #3587

MalVeauX wrote in post #17905197 (external link)
650D + Tamron 150-600

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DRku​p7  (external link) IMG_0400B (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

Lovely shot dude... never fail to impress me on the level of detail you achieve...

<tuffty/>

tuffty
133 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 24, 2016 01:49 |  #3588

My attempt from last night... tail end of the full moon.... I did take a shot of the full moon but wasn't happy by the lack of detail in the pic... not sure if its me or the kit but this one was a bit better

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

<tuffty/>

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2016 03:52 |  #3589

First time posting in Astronomy,
Was a very clear night last night, hope you guys like it

IMAGE: https://kcyeung.smugmug.com/Life/23-02-2016-Full-Moon/i-sxQncpZ/0/XL/5SR_2569-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://kcyeung.smugmu​g.com …/5SR_2569-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,498 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 24, 2016 08:34 |  #3590

KCY wrote in post #17910677 (external link)
First time posting in Astronomy,
Was a very clear night last night, hope you guys like it

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://kcyeung.smugmu​g.com …/5SR_2569-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Looks good to me ! Like the brightness you kept ! Good detail over all .

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,180 posts
Gallery: 1613 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2016 15:03 |  #3591

My first Luna shot with my new Bridge.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO

Some stuff.

thc1979
520 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 24, 2016 16:20 |  #3592

TCampbell wrote in post #17878560 (external link)
Here's my contribution to the thread.

I'm new here, but when I post an image, I usually post information about the image (e.g. how I shot it, etc.) So here's the story with this one.

I'm a member of an astronomy club (a fairly large club with many active imagers) in the Detroit area. Each month during spring, summer, and fall we host a night called "Beginner's Nights". The idea is that those new to astronomy (who do not even have to be club members) can come out and learn about astronomy, or bring their telescopes and we'll happily help them learn to use it, etc. Sometimes there are no "beginners" and we just use it as a good excuse to get out under the stars as a group.

Anyway, last spring (yes this image is about 9 months old), I was at the event and someone asked how to take an image of the moon. I do not normally bring my camera with me to a beginner's night because it's usually just a "visual" observing event and we don't do imaging. But I happened to have the camera in the car... so I grabbed it to do the demonstration.

When imaging the moon, you can follow a rule with an easy-to-remember name called the "Loony 11" rule (an obvious play on "Lunar"). The rule works like the "Sunny 16" rule, except it's for lunar exposures. The rule states that if you are using f/11, then the shutter speed is simply the inverse of the ISO setting. E.g. at ISO 100 use 1/100th sec. At ISO 200 use 1/200th sec. etc. You don't have to use f/11, but should know how to trade stops of aperture for stops of shutter speed if using something other than f/11.

I attached my camera to my telescope (on this particular night, I had my TeleVue NP101is which is a 4" apochromatic refractor with a 540mm focal length and f/5.4 focal ratio. I used a TeleVue 2x 'Powermate" (a high quality barlow or focal-length multiplier) which brings the telescope to an effective 1080mm and f/11.

I attached the camera, carefully focused the telescope, set the ISO to 100 and the shutter speed to 1/100th sec, and took one shot. This is that shot:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/CFgc​Vf  (external link)
First Quarter Moon (external link) by Tim Campbell (external link), on Flickr

I may have missed the point but I just tested this with a meter (on spot) and got 1/8 at f11 ISO 100 (almost full moon). According to the rule it should be nearer 1/100 ?

TCampbell
446 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 24, 2016 20:05 as a reply to  @ thc1979's post |  #3593

You have to be careful when using a meter because they are looking for "reflected" light (most of the time). There are several problems with the reflected meters...

The scene is basically a completely black background and most meters don't like that. Most built-in camera meters are trying to meter from points across the entire frame (Canon "evaluative" metering mode or Nikon "matrix" metering mode.) All the blackness surrounding the moon tricks the meter into thinking there must be more and it needs to bring up the exposure (it wants everything to be "middle gray" -- basically it wants a muddy background sky tonality instead of black.).

You can change the camera's metering mode to "spot" metering (not all cameras have a "spot" mode) or you can try "center weighted" mode which means it mostly goes by what's in the middle of the frame and gives less weight to what's around the edges (it still allows them to have some influence ... just not as much.)

But consider this... if you were standing on the moon (gasping for air because there's no atmosphere) your lighting would be entirely provided by the "mid day sunlight". If you use a light meter in mid-day sun you'll get a "Sunny 16" exposure (at f/16 in full daylight at mid-day the exposure will suggest the shutter speed be the inverse of the ISO setting.)

This is basically the very same exposure for the moon. So why not use f/16 for the moon. It would be more accurate. The answer... is that the lunar surface actually isn't very reflective. Astronomers refer to this as "surface albedo" (or just "albedo" for short). The moon's albedo is .125 (12.5% reflectivity ... Basically 1/8th of the sunlight that strikes the surface of the moon is reflected back). That's rough the same surface albedo a worn asphalt road or the black sidewall of an old tire.

If you exposed for the moon using the "Sunny 16" rule of photography, then you'd have a dark, dim moon that seems underexposed. Opening up by just 1 stop (from f/16 to f/11) provides a more satisfying exposure (hence the "Loony 11" rule.).

If you expose for 1/8th sec (assuming f/11 and ISO 100) you'll have a really bright moon over-exposed by a little more than 3 stops. A lot of cameras can handle that much over-exposure so you could probably recover that in post if you shoot RAW. But you'll find that if you use the Loony 11 rule, the image comes out of the camera looking nicely exposed.

Clear Skies!

Pagman
8,180 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2016 15:37 |  #3594

Just been doing a little test between one of my normal pics i was getting from my Canon 7d mk1 with a 55-250STM zoom at 250mm, i have always been impressed with this set up, but then last night i got a shot from my FZ300 bridge cam:-)

I have brought the mag of the 250mm lens(400mm eqv) upto the same size image as the FZ300 at 600mm eqv, but with a bit of cropping, the 7d is 18mp and the FZ300 is just 12mp.

Its quite amazing the difference between a state of the art canon and a humble bridge cam.

First pic out of the 7D
Second one out of FZ300.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Some stuff.

Pagman
8,180 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2016 15:49 |  #3595

And with even more processing to the 7d image - pushed as far as i could.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO

Some stuff.

TCampbell
446 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 25, 2016 16:04 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #3596

Based on the exposure data as compared to a Loony 11 rule exposure...

On the 7D you're at f/7.1 (+1.3 stops) with a shutter speed of 1/640th (-2.6 stops) for a total of -1.3 stops (underexposure) (it's looking a bit dim.)

On the FZ300 you're at f/4 (+3 stops) with a shutter speed of 1/400th (-2 stops) for a total of +1 stops (overexposure) (but it still looks pretty good).

There's a 2.3 stop exposure difference between the two.

Pagman
8,180 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2016 16:25 |  #3597

TCampbell wrote in post #17912884 (external link)
Based on the exposure data as compared to a Loony 11 rule exposure...

On the 7D you're at f/7.1 (+1.3 stops) with a shutter speed of 1/640th (-2.6 stops) for a total of -1.3 stops (underexposure) (it's looking a bit dim.)

On the FZ300 you're at f/4 (+3 stops) with a shutter speed of 1/400th (-2 stops) for a total of +1 stops (overexposure) (but it still looks pretty good).

There's a 2.3 stop exposure difference between the two.

Yep i was very supprised the RAW virualy strait out of the FZ300 with only a small amount of processing, is very good and the noise without any noise control is very good:-)

P.

Some stuff.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,498 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 25, 2016 17:55 |  #3598

Pagman wrote in post #17912841 (external link)
Just been doing a little test between one of my normal pics i was getting from my Canon 7d mk1 with a 55-250STM zoom at 250mm, i have always been impressed with this set up, but then last night i got a shot from my FZ300 bridge cam:-)

I have brought the mag of the 250mm lens(400mm eqv) upto the same size image as the FZ300 at 600mm eqv, but with a bit of cropping, the 7d is 18mp and the FZ300 is just 12mp.

Its quite amazing the difference between a state of the art canon and a humble bridge cam.

First pic out of the 7D
Second one out of FZ300.

P.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pagman in
./showthread.php?p=179​12841&i=i146572016
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

This image is very nice and good exposure . Your image after this one is over processed , areas too dark . You don't see dark areas on the moon when you look at it with the naked eye . Picture the naked eye image looking the same as it would with a camera image looking exactly the same as naked eye .

Pagman
8,180 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2016 20:45 |  #3599

Celestron wrote in post #17913038 (external link)
This image is very nice and good exposure . Your image after this one is over processed , areas too dark . You don't see dark areas on the moon when you look at it with the naked eye . Picture the naked eye image looking the same as it would with a camera image looking exactly the same as naked eye .

Thank you for your nice words :-) it was a first time experiment to see how well - or not my new FZ300 bridge canm would cope with night time sky subjects, i am to he honest and excuse the pun - Over the moon, it has suppased its self with flying colors, and it seems not to need very much in RAW edditing as it very close to an all round decent image- what ever i shoot.
No doubt the leica glass is helping along with a decent processing engine, when i had my 7d even with the very good 55-250STM Zoom, i would have do a lot of edditing to get a decent shot with clarity and detail, my new FZ just seems to require a lot less.

P.

Some stuff.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,562 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2016 09:48 |  #3600

Pagman wrote in post #17913265 (external link)
Thank you for your nice words :-) it was a first time experiment to see how well - or not my new FZ300 bridge canm would cope with night time sky subjects, i am to he honest and excuse the pun - Over the moon, it has suppased its self with flying colors, and it seems not to need very much in RAW edditing as it very close to an all round decent image- what ever i shoot.
No doubt the leica glass is helping along with a decent processing engine, when i had my 7d even with the very good 55-250STM Zoom, i would have do a lot of edditing to get a decent shot with clarity and detail, my new FZ just seems to require a lot less.

P.

Of course a shot taken with a fairly new bridge camera with Leica f2.8 glass through a 600mm FF equivalent zoom exposed properly is going to look better than a 7 year old APS-C with a kit lens underexposed. There should be no surprise there.

Bridge cameras are great for those that don't have the budget or want the size of an SLR with long fast high quality lenses. I had always thought a bridge camera was perfect for what you shoot (planes, birds in the back yard, etc). You spent alot of time trying to get reach and quality, etc through the years. The FZ300, being a great camera in a small package, is most likely nearly perfect for you.

I had taken this with my 7D in the past.

IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Scenic-Moments/i-fqkbGTt/0/L/potna-L.jpg

This is with the 7D2, but not with my new lens, I plan on using that this weekend.
IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Scenic-Moments/i-QbFNWfD/1/X2/216A9949-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,063,770 views & 4,576 likes for this thread
The Official Shoot the Moon Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.