Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 03 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 23:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Action Figure Photography

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 28, 2012 16:28 |  #406

jwcdds wrote in post #14645455 (external link)
Great start! Looks like they're your collection now. :lol:

Thanks! I was told to be careful with them,because they are collectable!

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,629 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 28, 2012 16:36 |  #407

EastBayGirl wrote in post #14645485 (external link)
Thanks! I was told to be careful with them,because they are collectable!

Someone lied to you, or sort of lied to you. From my own experience... a toy is only really considered a collectible if it's never been removed from the original packaging and kept mint. Once it's cracked open... it's "value" (monetary) plummets. :lol:

That is unless the item becomes so rare and passed on from generation to generation for a few hundred years. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 28, 2012 17:58 |  #408

jwcdds wrote in post #14645515 (external link)
Someone lied to you, or sort of lied to you. From my own experience... a toy is only really considered a collectible if it's never been removed from the original packaging and kept mint. Once it's cracked open... it's "value" (monetary) plummets. :lol:

That is unless the item becomes so rare and passed on from generation to generation for a few hundred years. ;)

Well... thats okay. My son is only 10, so maybe if he keeps them in their cases (not original) they might be worth something for his great grandchildren! HaHa

Really, he just like them because he is infatuated with anything military related.

Stina
flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,629 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 28, 2012 18:29 |  #409

EastBayGirl wrote in post #14645808 (external link)
Well... thats okay. My son is only 10, so maybe if he keeps them in their cases (not original) they might be worth something for his great grandchildren! HaHa

Really, he just like them because he is infatuated with anything military related.

IMO, toys need to be played with. Sitting in a box sealed up in hopes of it worth possibly something (or more likely nothing) doesn't make sense to me. But what do I know. :lol: As long as your son is getting the most out of it and enjoying the toys (however he wants to play, or not play with it), that's all that matters. Looking forward to more photos from you. Fire away, digital is free! ("Free" after you've paid for the initial lump sum.) :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 28, 2012 18:51 |  #410

jwcdds wrote in post #14645909 (external link)
IMO, toys need to be played with. Sitting in a box sealed up in hopes of it worth possibly something (or more likely nothing) doesn't make sense to me. But what do I know. :lol: As long as your son is getting the most out of it and enjoying the toys (however he wants to play, or not play with it), that's all that matters. Looking forward to more photos from you. Fire away, digital is free! ("Free" after you've paid for the initial lump sum.) :D

It appears we both enjoy playing with them:)

Stina
flickr (external link)

mrclean08
117 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2012 10:26 |  #411

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i9.photobucket.​com …n/War_MachineMI​LK_3op.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i9.photobucket.​com …n/War_MachineMI​LK_4op.jpg (external link)

Gripped Canon EOS 5D Mk.II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM |Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | Adobe Photoshop CS5 | Adobe Lightroom 3

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 30, 2012 14:10 |  #412

jwcdds wrote in post #14645909 (external link)

Yes, some toys are meant to be played with, like the ones you get in Toys R Us or Target and Walmart etc...but some are collectibles. They are works of art, like the ones MrClean is taking photos of. Go check out Sideshow Collectibles (external link) and check out the prices on some of their "toys" and let us know if you'd be ok with kids having them out and playing with them. These specific toys, again, are collectible works of art, to be drooled over for their fine detail etc...and yes worth money.

Sideshow Collectibles® is a specialty manufacturer of licensed and proprietary collectible products. With Sideshow's dedication to accuracy and artistry, these products reflect a passion for creating unique, highly sought after figure collectibles, as well as film prop replicas and fine art pieces. Sideshow artisans are renowned sculptors, experienced model makers, painters and costumers whose combined efforts result in the creation of outstanding original designs and intricately detailed likenesses of pop culture icons, including film and television monsters, villains, heroes, mystical creatures of fantasy, and legendary figures from history. This talented team of artists is regularly distinguished for achieving a level of authenticity seldom seen in the figure collectible arena. Recognized as a quality manufacturer, Sideshow has been highlighted in national trade and specialty toy publications where its collectible 12-inch figures and polystone statues have been awarded 'Best of the Year.'

mrclean08
117 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2012 19:36 |  #413

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #14653352 (external link)
Yes, some toys are meant to be played with, like the ones you get in Toys R Us or Target and Walmart etc...but some are collectibles. They are works of art, like the ones MrClean is taking photos of. Go check out Sideshow Collectibles (external link) and check out the prices on some of their "toys" and let us know if you'd be ok with kids having them out and playing with them. These specific toys, again, are collectible works of art, to be drooled over for their fine detail etc...and yes worth money.

Well said Chris.

For me, I open all my "toys" since I have no plans on ever reselling them. But the figures I collect from Hot Toys and Sideshow are more like mini statues and definitely works of art. They are aimed at the adult collector community and not even sold in common channels for retail purchase like a Toys R Us, Target or Walmart.

Plus I doubt any parent would want their kid to be playing with a $150-$200 doll. ($150-$200 retail, not after-market pricing.) ;) They are so fun to shoot because of the realism and attention to detail. Some figures look almost lifelike in person!

Gripped Canon EOS 5D Mk.II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM |Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | Adobe Photoshop CS5 | Adobe Lightroom 3

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,629 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 30, 2012 23:39 |  #414

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #14653352 (external link)

If the Sideshow Toys were not $150-250 a pop, I'd let my 2.5 year old have a go at them all day long. To *me*, what makes them collectibles is the cost of ownership. But that said... I'm not one to view these as investments. I'm sure they will be worth $1000-10,000 someday, assuming boxed, mint, and unopened. But that's a lot of time to wait and a lot of storage space taken up.

I've got my Iron Man opened up. Go back a few pages and you should find photos of mine, along with other stuff in my humble (and miniscule) collection compared to that of MrClean's :)

Julian

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 01, 2012 20:55 |  #415

Yeah I think a lot of the true collectors are collecting to make money, like MrClean, he probably buys these particular figures for what is special to him, for the art he loves, therefore making money is not ever in his plan. However there are those who are out to make money and buy, don't open, and resell for more than they paid. I don't think we have many of those on here. The photos are done for the love of photography and the figures themselves. I'm glad you all share these with us on here, I have yet to buy a Slideshow or Hot Toys figure, I might one day, but my 3 and 1 year old sons would probably make me try to let them play with it and I don't want to even have to argue with them right now on that. lol...

So I just enjoy seeing all the photographers photos here, so glad I started this thread, it lets me see all your collections and drool. Keep sharing!

Jason ­ Williams
61 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 09, 2012 04:09 |  #416

Hi all. I am usually in the motoring threads but stumbled across this thread a few day ago now I am hooked. It has got motivated me to get out some of my little cars and take some pics of them. I know this is mainly action figures but though I could just post these quick ones. I am still getting my set-up sorted but these pics were taken with my mobile phone and loaded to instagram. The surface is a black jacket and the other is a gray magazine cover and using and LED headlamp for illumination. Next time I will use the dslr.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

www.boostsa.co.za (external link)

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 17, 2012 10:03 |  #417

cool thread

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 18, 2012 13:58 |  #418

Tried it in B&W?

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/7598480160_6d0ab4c5c1_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/17780993@N08/7​598480160/  (external link)
IMG_Soldier (external link) by maxwellcrew (external link), on Flickr

THANK YOU TO ALL THAT SERVE!!!

Stina
flickr (external link)

Techuser
451 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 31, 2012 17:39 |  #419

My Sylvanas arrived yesterday and I'm pretty happy with these pictures, what you guys think?
They are all high exposure in the darkness while I fooled around with the flash and various materials for the colours

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/Xna0P.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/daych.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/k6lXc.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/hFRDt.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/PlJBb.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/qlSIM.jpg

Canon XSi | 18-55 IS | 50 1.8 | 70-300 IS | 300 2.8 FD
http://primalshutter.c​om (external link)

Jason ­ Williams
61 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 01, 2012 01:24 |  #420

Those look awesome. I know it was probably the effect you were looking for but I would have liked to see the subject pop out from the background a little more. Although the "stealth" look does give it a good feel.

www.boostsa.co.za (external link)

sponsored links

281,420 views & 195 likes for this thread
Action Figure Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.