Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bokeh observation G Series to old SLR

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 05, 2010 00:30 |  #1

I am in the middle of a project scanning all my old slides to digital and I have really noticed an astounding difference in the DOF of my shots.

My first digital was a G2, purchased in 2003 or thereabouts. At that time, I hung up my faithful old Minolta X-700 with all my fancy equipment that went with it. Multiple lenses, long & short, various flashes, filters and all kinds of neat things.

When I got my G2, I never really noticed the loss of bokeh.

I have forgotten what its like to be able to create a fantastic shot using DOF for effect. It's slowly coming back to me now, how I used to compose each shot, eyeballing the light, calculating the f stop for the effect I wanted, analyzing the light and setting the shutter speed accordingly, stopping up, stopping down and on and on.

As I scan each slide and look at the results on my computer, I really really miss the effects you can create with bokeh! I have some amazing pics of my daughters when they were toddlers, pictures of the eyes crisp and clear and everything else around them so blurry you can't tell what it is.

I never really noticed how drastic the difference is in the G series to an old SLR. Wow!

Now I'm getting itchy to put the old Minolta back in service just to have some fun with it! I'm also wandering into Canon's site and looking at some of the DSLR's and some fancy glass to go with it. Anybody got ten grand you can give me?

Best DOF I can get with my G9 is Macro and an inch from my subject!

Just an observation!

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 05, 2010 06:29 |  #2

Yep, I was reminded of the same issues when I got my 7D a few months ago. One of the first things I did was to use the 7D to take a similar picture to one posted on my blog with the G9, http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com/search/​label/dof (external link) shows both the 7D and G9 photos.

On the other hand, I'm constantly reminded that DOF is limited for the 7D when I *DO* need the extra depth of focus. I actually believe that the limited DOF is sometimes mistakenly said to be a focusing problem for the 7D by newcomers to the world of DSLR.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,452 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 05, 2010 19:32 |  #3

I think your Minolta lenses will work on a modern Sony dSLR body. Check with Sony or on a website with Sony users (like over at DPReview maybe) to be sure.

A body only Sony dSLR from the lower end is probably cheaper than a G series camera.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,385 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bokeh observation G Series to old SLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.