Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 01:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Broken 70-200mm f/2.8 IS

whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2010 01:14 |  #1

I have a friend who wants to sell his Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS for $700, which I know is a steal, but I am wondering how much it will cost to have it fixed. The problem is with the zoom- as it won't zoom in or out. Everything else with the lens is fine... nothing wrong with the focus or anything else. Does anyone have any idea of an estimate for having this problem fixed? Is this even worth the "great price"?

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,140 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2010 01:16 |  #2

whirligig wrote in post #9334283 (external link)
I have a friend who wants to sell his Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS for $700, which I know is a steal, but I am wondering how much it will cost to have it fixed. The problem is with the zoom- as it won't zoom in or out. Everything else with the lens is fine... nothing wrong with the focus or anything else. Does anyone have any idea of an estimate for having this problem fixed? Is this even worth the "great price"?

if you want a wild guess i'd say $500. otherwise send it in to canon for a free estimate :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2010 02:29 |  #3

Hard to say, but Ed is right, it could be pricey. Also of concern is how did that happen? These lens are tough.
Might be best to see what Canon says first.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 06, 2010 02:34 |  #4

He broke it just in time, the sequal is here to arrive soon :P

All kidding aside, like ed said, could be pricey depending on what causes the lens not to zoom. Maybe get a little of the price for a cheap prime :P

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickr (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2010 06:24 |  #5

I'd stay well clear from any big white lens that's taken a knock like that. If the metal zoom rings are damaged, you can guarentee that the optics have shifted too. For that price, I could go and get a shiney new 70-200/f4 IS L and know that it's perfect and un-abused

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youÒ’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2010 08:00 |  #6

The zoom mechanism can fail mechanically without impact, but it's a concern. These lenses are very repairable, and I had one with CA issues brand new... just depends.
I'd want a firm price though for a fully functional lense... the f/2.8 and 4 aren't interchangeable.
The f/2.8 version may drop in value/price a bit due to the newer version's release; it's a buyer's market for the f/2.8 version, new(version I) or used!

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 06, 2010 09:00 |  #7

See if he'd let you send it off to Canon for a free estimate. Could be very little, could be a lot.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 06, 2010 09:32 |  #8

It could be expensive or cheap.
If there is some thread worn of, it could be cheap, but if it fell down and the inner parts are wrenged, it could be very expensive.
Try to have an estimate from Canon, like said above.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

whirligig
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2010 02:26 |  #9

thanks for all of the input! i opted out of the "deal" and am keeping my eyes out for something that is is good, working order... should be something i can afford out there soon with the new mark ii out in february! :) if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is!

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2010 02:33 |  #10

If you get it fixed, I bet it'll cost you less than the cost of a used working 70-200 2.8 IS. This lens is fantastic. I would buy it and just send it in to canon. They replaced some internal mechanism on my 70-200 and the body mount as well as the thread filter for 250$. I think yours will cost a little more.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

whirligig
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2010 02:45 |  #11

SiaoP wrote in post #9409421 (external link)
If you get it fixed, I bet it'll cost you less than the cost of a used working 70-200 2.8 IS. This lens is fantastic. I would buy it and just send it in to canon. They replaced some internal mechanism on my 70-200 and the body mount as well as the thread filter for 250$. I think yours will cost a little more.

oh, siao... now you're just toying with my emotions... :confused:
i think i'd just like to have your whole set-up, instead :lol:

abathingape
53 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 09, 2010 13:12 |  #12

Check out this thread?

https://photography-on-the.net …highlight=broke​n+70-200mm

He seemed to do alright for himself :)

Gear: Present-Past
Flickr (external link)
Funniest thread I've seen thus far.

sponsored links

1,483 views & 0 likes for this thread
Broken 70-200mm f/2.8 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.