Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Internal Flash questions on my 50D

hammmerhead
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2010 10:48 |  #1

I have been taking shots of a fish tank while the light are off with the internal flash. I am trying to get my shutter speed up and keep the aperture at 1.4. In AV mode I cant keep the shutter speed fast at F1.4. When I put it on P mode it gives me a faster shutter speed at a set F2.8, but of course I cant change the F stop in this mode. This is with a constant ISO not auto ISO. I have tried in manual mode and its the same thing. I hardly ever use my flash so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys.

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 06, 2010 10:53 |  #2

hammmerhead wrote in post #9336322 (external link)
I have been taking shots of a fish tank while the light are off with the internal flash. I am trying to get my shutter speed up and keep the aperture at 1.4. In AV mode I cant keep the shutter speed fast at F1.4. When I put it on P mode it gives me a faster shutter speed at a set F2.8, but of course I cant change the F stop in this mode. This is with a constant ISO not auto ISO. I have tried in manual mode and its the same thing. I hardly ever use my flash so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys.

Please explain what you mean. In manual, you can set the aperture and shutter speed you want. Do you mean that the results are not acceptable at a fast shutter and large aperture?

My Gear

hammmerhead
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2010 10:59 |  #3

Basically when I go manual its showing on the exposure level line that the photo is under exposed when I use those settings. It seems like its telling me its going to be way under exposed, maybe this is normal.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 06, 2010 11:07 |  #4

hammmerhead wrote in post #9336322 (external link)

hammmerhead wrote in post #9336384 (external link)
Basically when I go manual its showing on the exposure level line that the photo is under exposed when I use those settings. It seems like its telling me its going to be way under exposed, maybe this is normal.

If the lights are off, then without the flash, the shot probably would be underexposed. The camera's meter isn't taking into acoount the fact that you plan to use flash.

My Gear

hammmerhead
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2010 11:19 |  #5

runninmann wrote in post #9336425 (external link)
If the lights are off, then without the flash, the shot probably would be underexposed. The camera's meter isn't taking into acoount the fact that you plan to use flash.

Well, I guess I was assuming the camera already took into account the flash is raised. When it is raised it will flash twice I think to help for the focussing. I figured it metered off the two flashes it emits when the strobe is raised. I still dont know why I can get a faster shutter speed in P mode at f2.8 than I can in AV mode at F1.4 only when the flash is raised.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,315 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 06, 2010 11:23 |  #6

Av and P modes calculate exposure differently, especially using flash. Just do this, set your camera to M, pop up the flash use about 1/100 shutter speed and a mid range fstop 5.6 maybe and see what you get. Keep in mind that most of the flash will reflect off of the tank and will probably screw your exposure anyway. Its best to put the lens right against the glass if possible.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 06, 2010 11:30 |  #7

Check out page 107 of your manual. It does a decent job of explaining the differences in how the flash works with the various modes.

My Gear

hammmerhead
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2010 12:01 |  #8

Thanks for the advice guys.

sponsored links

862 views & 0 likes for this thread
Internal Flash questions on my 50D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.