Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 06 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 18:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disappointed in S90 Raw capabilities

David_S
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 06, 2010 18:42 |  #1

Rather than continue to drag this issue off topic as discussed HERE I've decided to see if anyone would like to continue this discussion. Rather than repost everything please click the HERElink to read the discussion and then carry on here please.

This was my statement that started the conversation:
My biggest gripe about RAW on the s90 is Canon decided if I want to use their program modes I have to accept their jpg. I really would like to have a raw+jpg option in all modes. Too bad I didn't research a bit more before purchasing. I shoot aperture priority 95% of the time with my dslr and wanted to use the s90 as more of a p & s with the addition of raw support but that is not going to be possible

http://davidsprague.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2010 03:03 |  #2

Im with you 100% on all that, even the DSLR bit.

I knew i would loose RAW in the scene and Auto modes, and i dont really plan on using them but it would be nice if, when i give the camera to friends or family they can use the easy modes without messing my work flow up.
seeing as there is a CHDK FW out for other Canons that gives RAW in all modes i can see it might be on the cards.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 07, 2010 10:34 |  #3

which scene and auto modes do you use most?

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2010 10:41 |  #4

ken_vs_ryu wrote in post #9343874 (external link)
which scene and auto modes do you use most?

I dont if it was me you were asking.

In fact i guess im missing out on a huge part of the S90 by only shooting RAW but this suits my work flow so ill stick with it.

My girlfriend has used auto mode a few times but to be honest i find P mode does just as well for outdoor shots so tell he to use that. I have C mode set for indoor flash (based on AV mode) so its pretty much covered for someone else using it at the moment.
If or when a CHDK comes out for the S90 ill use that and then have the best of both worlds.

Dave.
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

bilposter
33 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2010 11:00 |  #5

You can shoot RAW in "P" mode which is to all intents and purposes is"auto". With regards to the scene modes, because this involves in- camera manipulation to produce a given result, I can't see why you would want data manipulated or even deleted and shoot RAW. Why bother shooting RAW when you want the camera to do the work?

flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 5DmkII , 30D, S90, G9. Canon lenses: 50 F/1.8, 17-40 F/4L, 24-105 F/4L , 70-200 F/4L. Sigma 10-20 F/3.5. Tamron 17-50 F/2.8

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2010 11:12 |  #6

Just quickly going through the various scene modes i can see the camera is choosing different settings (the flash popped up on one of them) based on the different type of scene it thinks its shooting so why would i not want to use them with RAW?
Things like ISO, F stop, shutter speed, auto flash on or off etc are not data manipulations, these are the sort of settings you would use in AV, TV etc.

I realise there is some PP going on in camera as well but its still a good starting point for people who haven't got to grips with the other modes yet but still want the best from the camera.

Dave.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 07, 2010 11:18 |  #7

Because they also change some of the image processing parameters that are used, starting with, but not limited to, WB, saturation and contrast. And you'd lose that the instant you revert to a RAW shot. Basically, if you shoot in a situation a lot, set it up as a "Custom" setting that's tailored to what you, not Canon's engineers, prefer.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 07, 2010 11:39 |  #8

Frankly, I would prefer to have "n" number of Custom slots to program (where "n" is the number of scene modes) versus the actual scene modes. That would be a nice CHDK feature.

Kirk

Kirk
---

bilposter
33 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2010 11:41 |  #9

...Would be nice to have several Custom settings a la 5D Mkll then everyone would be happy I guess. My bet is that will be on next years model ;)

flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 5DmkII , 30D, S90, G9. Canon lenses: 50 F/1.8, 17-40 F/4L, 24-105 F/4L , 70-200 F/4L. Sigma 10-20 F/3.5. Tamron 17-50 F/2.8

Dick ­ Emery
695 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 07, 2010 11:41 |  #10

Scene modes are for n00bs :D

Canon 450D/XSi (Retired), Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 EF II, Sigma 30mm F1.4, 430EX Mk I, Canon Powershot S2 IS, Canon Powershot S90 IS, Sigma 1.6x closeup lens.
My Flickr (external link)
www.maunders.com (external link)

bilposter
33 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2010 11:42 |  #11

Oops simultaneous post but great minds etc. ;)

flickr (external link)

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2010 11:52 |  #12

Jon wrote in post #9344212 (external link)
Because they also change some of the image processing parameters that are used, starting with, but not limited to, WB, saturation and contrast. And you'd lose that the instant you revert to a RAW shot. Basically, if you shoot in a situation a lot, set it up as a "Custom" setting that's tailored to what you, not Canon's engineers, prefer.

But some of that would be preserved as a starting point in DPP wouldn't it?

Like i say, i would just prefer it that way, but not for me to use, for others. As Dick said, they are for noobs (and that covers all my family other than me) BUT if the shots are coming out of my camera and going on my PC then i would prefer them to be RAW files.

Each to his/her own.

Dave.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 07, 2010 12:51 |  #13

About all you might possibly see preserved would be the WB setting. Canon would have to add support for multiple Picture Styles to the camera, and then would have to code the "Scene Modes" to preserve it. That's an awful lot of work for something that less than 1% of "Scene Mode" users would ever touch, especially since half of them would probably get there by accident and need at least one support call to get it straightened out.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

granty
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 07, 2010 17:05 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #14

Hi all, as you can see I'm new to this forum. I found this particular thread when googling so hi!

Anyway wondering if anyone can help?

Basically I took my S90 out the other day and used it for the first time in anger. So what I did before setting out was put it in one of the modes, cant remember which one but likely hood is Av and set it to shoot in RAW, I switched it off until about a hour later when I took my first shot.

Now skipping a little here but I was unfortunate that when I put my SD card in my laptop it has some how become corrupt. I am really annoyed as I had some really good photos from an unforgettable day and have since been trying to recover them.

However I am having a little issue because I am not able to recover any RAW files, but all the photos I did take are there in jpg format! But theres another slight issue, only some are full size and there is one copy. But most of my photos from the day have only recovered at 1600x1200 but oddly with a second copy as well at 160x120 and I have no clue why this is!

Now I have noticed when you set in Av to shoot RAW and then go to a scene mode like I did (which shoots in jpg) and then go back to Av, its not longer set to RAW but is back to JPG. Please dont tell me you have to set it to RAW everytime you change mode? Ive noticed you pretty much need to change every mode to what you want. Anyway if this is the case it could explain why I ended up with a load of JPG's so if someone could confirm that? I know when i swtiched the camera on earlier to check it did say shooting in jpg.

Also anyone have any ideas on recovering files and why I have 2 sizes of the not good pictures?

Hope you can help!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 07, 2010 17:20 |  #15

What happened was that your file recovery program recovered, not the RAW files, but the JPEGs that are embedded in each RAW.

I can't speak to the S90, but my SX1 stays in RAW+JPEG when I return to one of the advanced modes after I've accidentally shifted into a "Scene" setting.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

2,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disappointed in S90 Raw capabilities
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.