Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Add a Speedlite or Monolights - the next step.

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 07, 2010 08:09 |  #1

I currently have one 580EX II and ST-E2. I want to add to this configuration with either an additional 580EX II (yes, they're on sale right now) and perhaps a stand/umbrella configuration like this -

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Flash_Umbrella_​Mount.html (external link)

or consider going with a starter set of monolights like the Calumet Genesis 200/400, AlienBees or perhaps D-Lights like this -

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e4_Two_Monoligh​t_Kit.html (external link)

or this

http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K1/ (external link)

I'm currently doing "table top" objects (macro) and some family shots. But I want to be able to grow into whatever I decide to buy.

Any thoughts on speedlights vs monolights would be appreciated.

sponsored links
btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 07, 2010 08:40 |  #2

they both have their adventages :

speedlites : AA powered, small, portable, lightweight, easy to transport, usually come with a bag / case :: but can't overpower the sun (limited outside)

monolights: requires a battery pack if outside, heavier, need a case, more setup time (running extension cords) :: but can overpower the sun and TONS of usable light.

If you plan on ONLY doing inside stuff i think another flash is plenty of power. then again you could have the convenience of monolights set up in the house, in the same room and never take them down.

you need to figure out exactly what you're needs are for off camera flash and then go from there. personally, i have shoot speedlights the past year, but require more light to shoot outside and 'turn down the sky' while still lighting my subject so i just picked up some monolights. The setup time is much longer, things are heavier, more stuff to bring, but the results are worth it, and 2 weeks after you take the shot, that's all you'll remember, THE RESULTS!

good luck!

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,692 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2010 09:22 |  #3

I've got both types of lights, 3 speedlites, and two alien bees. The hotshoe flashes rarely ever come out of the bag for this type of work. The increased power, and access to larger modifiers pretty much makes me stick with the monolights. The portability of the hotshoe flashes is an advantage, but once you go with a bigger more powerful light source you'll find the small flash lacking. If you do decide to go with a second small flash, skip the 580 and buy a YN or vivitar and you'll have enough left over for one of the JTL monolights too :)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 07, 2010 12:37 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4

Thanks. Now I'm more curious. If I get the monolights (say Genesis 400 for example) can I use the 580EX II with them? In other words, can I use the ST-E2 to fire the AF Assist beam, use it to trigger the 580 and the 580 trigger the Genesis?

This would allow me to use the 580 as perhaps a background light in combination with the Genesis.

If this works, I'm assuming I would loose the E-TTL function and have to set both the ST-E2 and 580 in Manual mode.

The flip side would be getting the second 580 would allow full E-TTL with all the Canon gear (ST-E2, 2 x 580EX II).

Am I confused?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,692 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2010 12:45 |  #5

You could probably trigger them that way, but it seems a bit of a workaround to me when triggers are as cheap as they are. You lose ettl with any monolight and if you want to use your 580exII in conjunction with a monolight you would want to use it in manual mode. The genesis (or alien bee hint hint :) ) would have a modeling light so you dont need the st-e2 for focus assist.

Getting the second 580exII would allow you to retain ettl. But as someone who has that I suspect you will find it less than satisfying. Ettl is great in dynamic situation where your exposure changes from shot to shot. With off camera work your primary goal is consistency of output from shot to shot and thats where ettl fails a bit. Plus the canon wireless system relies on the visible light transmission, too unpredictable outside for me.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,360 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 07, 2010 16:53 |  #6

you can use the ST-e2 to trigger the 580, which can in turn trigger the optical sensor in the lights of your choice. A lot of hassle, when you could buy a set of radio triggers for <$100. When you introduce lights like the Genesis or Elinchrom, you're not shooting ETTL anyway, so there's no additional benefit to using the 580 for anything but a trigger.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

sponsored links

1,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
Add a Speedlite or Monolights - the next step.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.