Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2010 (Friday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D2 metering: anyone else need +2/3 or +1 all the time?

Trevor04GT
722 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 11, 2010 00:22 |  #46

Weird, mine seems to like to overexpose..

Trevor - Canon 6D Mark 2 / Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art / Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art / Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art / Canon 70-200 II F2.8L / DJI Mavic Air / DJI OM4 / GoPro 8 Black

sponsored links
golf88
321 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 11, 2010 00:31 |  #47

I haven't really noticed that I need +2/3 or +1, usually just 0 is fine on evaluative metering and AV. Lately I've been using spot metering though and trying to manually expose for critical elements. For example, I would take a picture of a very dark skinned man at around -1.5 or -2.0 EC (spot metered on his skin). Lighter skin individuals can be +0.5 or +1.0. This seems to work just fine as well.

Flickr (external link)

THE ­ TROOPER
737 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2010 04:54 |  #48

I suppose it depends on situation and lens but yes Im usually +1/3 - +1

5DII GRIPPED - 17-40L
http://www.dreamworldi​mages.co.uk/ (external link)

Jesper
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Mar 11, 2010 08:36 |  #49

anthony11 wrote in post #9770978 (external link)
How am I using the spot meter? Is that a trick question? I set the metering mode to spot and I pressed the shutter release.

Using the spot meter requires some knowledge. It's not just a question of putting the camera on spot metering and just pressing the shutter release without thinking about metering anymore.

When you use the spot meter, the camera only looks at a small area in the middle of the frame to determine what exposure to use (aperture and shutter speed). (In evaluative mode, it will measure the whole frame instead of just a spot in the middle). The camera will setup the exposure so that the spot in the middle comes out with a brightness of "middle gray". If you in fact have something lighter than "middle gray" in the middle of the frame, your shot will become underexposed, and if you have something darker, it will become overexposed.

You will have to use + or - lighting compensation in such situations. That's to be expected and is not a flaw in the meter of your camera.

Have a look at this: Understanding Camera Metering (external link), Why Spot Metering (external link)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

aubsxc
210 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 11, 2010 12:04 |  #50

anthony11 wrote in post #9770978 (external link)
How am I using the spot meter? Is that a trick question? I set the metering mode to spot and I pressed the shutter release.

No, its not a trick question. Based on your response, I don't think you understand how the different metering modes in your camera work, and I believe you would be best served by picking up a book and/or reading an online tutorial that explains the basics of exposure and metering.

---
5DII/BG-E6, 1V-HS, 17-40/4L, 24-105/4L IS, 28-105/3.5-4.5USM, 70-200/2.8L IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5USM, 300/4L IS, 1.4x II TC , 50/1.4, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8

Cicero
256 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 12, 2010 13:02 |  #51

I got mine today and noticed the some problem.. had to go +2/3.
While on 7D i dont need to make any EC.

http://www.pbase.com/d​ejan_caf (external link)
Canon 1D Mark IV - Canon 5D Mark III - Canon EF 500mm f/4 IS L -Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - Canon EF 100-400mm IS L - Canon EF 85mm 1.2 II L - Canon 17-40mm f/4 L - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS L - Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L II

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 12, 2010 16:49 as a reply to  @ Cicero's post |  #52

One thing to consider and this caught me out if I'm not using the histogram - if your viewing the image through the LCD display watch out for the light sensor adjusting the light on the rear automatically :p

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 12, 2010 17:09 |  #53

According to Canon themselves their DSLR meters are calibrated against 12% grey which is +2/3 stops above 18% grey.

The best way to get a great exposure for your subject without resorting to HDR is to spot meter fom a mid range to white subject from the brightest area in you wish to retain detail and then open up by 2-2.5 stops If the subject is between mid range and black then spot meter from the darkest area in which you wish to retain detail and then stop down by 2-2.5 stops. A little trail and error will be required initially to find out the range of your sensor, once you know the ideal setting that will be what you set every time.

Exposing for the subject and letting the rest block out or blow out is the best way of getting a good image without the use of HDR.

I placed an Understanding Exposure thread here which may help! (external link)

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

anthony11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2010 12:36 |  #54

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #9771674 (external link)
Generally, for the type of shooting that I do I'm using Manual mode 99% of the time, and for the last year or so my de-facto metering mode has been partial (as close to spot as I can get on my 350D). To meter, I use some rule-of thumb metering values (black is generally -1EV, white is generally +1EV, the palm of my hand is ~1 2/3EV etc.). For a particular scene I'll do several meterings, dial in what I've determined to be the correct exposure, focus, recompose, and then finally press the shutter.

I'll surmise that you shoot static subjects.

For the most part, spot metering isn't really a "set it and forget" kind of a metering mode. To really use it correctly you need to change your technique.

I've read more than once that spot metering is appropriate for a backlit subject to avoid the background from causing the subject to be underexposed. That's the only situation where I use spot metering. I use evaluative most of the time.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

anthony11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2010 12:38 |  #55

aubsxc wrote in post #9775100 (external link)
No, its not a trick question. Based on your response, I don't think you understand how the different metering modes in your camera work, and I believe you would be best served by picking up a book and/or reading an online tutorial that explains the basics of exposure and metering.

Um, I understand metering modes just fine, and cookie-cutter condescension like the above doesn't change that.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

bomzai
524 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 18, 2010 14:01 as a reply to  @ anthony11's post |  #56

I use +1/3 (2/3) in poor light, otherwise exposures are fine, but I mostly use evaluative metering.

Plus I shoot RAW, so I tend to be conservative (it's much harder, even impossible in many cases, to fill blown highlights than to deal with a tiny bit extra noise in shadows due to exposure pull) and keep in mind that I can add up to 2/3 stop exposure in post without any problem.

Camera: EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 70D, ™24-70mm f2.8 VC, EF 70-200mm IS f2.8 L II, EF 100mm IS f2.8 L Macro, EF-S 18-135 STM, Σ 12-24 II.
EOS 5D mkII, 20D, S100, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, EF 24-105mm IS f4.0 L, EF 70-200mm IS f4.0 L, EF-S 18-200mm IS, EF 100mm f2.8 macro
Light: Sun, Speedlite 580EXII, 550EX, 430EX, EL-Skyports, Reflectors, Umbrellas, Diffusers etc.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 18, 2010 16:06 |  #57

anthony11 wrote in post #9822352 (external link)

Well yes, hence "the type of shooting that I do" ;).

I've read more than once that spot metering is appropriate for a backlit subject to avoid the background from causing the subject to be underexposed. That's the only situation where I use spot metering. I use evaluative most of the time.

Which is a very general statement. If the subject is backlit (in a certain tolerance range), using spot metering on the subject WILL yield a better (brighter) exposure than if you didn't, but it doesn't mean that it will be a correct exposure. If your subject is wearing black clothing, for example, with spot metering your shot will be overexposed. You can use spot metering for backlit subjects, but you still need to dial in exposure compensation based on what you're metering off of.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,154 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2010 16:07 |  #58

For someone of Caucasian backgroud, skin value is about +1EV lighter than 18% gray, which is what exposure meters are trying to make everything average out to, in a shot! So if you spot meter a face, the reading is taking a +1EV subject and making it too dark. Use of EC = +1 when metering a face would render the face at the proper level of brightness. The meter tries to take a Scandanavian bride in white wedding gown in a snow scene, and make that 18% gray, too, so EC is needed to add exposure to what the meter indicates. Similarly the meter tries to take a Nigerian bridegroom in black tuxedo in a coal mine, and make that 18% gray, too, so EC is neede to reduce exposure from what the meter indicates. I know my own skin is +1.3EV compared to an 18% gray card.

Post your sample shots, and I think we'll see the above in the photos.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,154 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2010 16:23 |  #59

Metered 18% gray card with Minolta Spotmeter F: 1/500 f/8 ISO100
Metered 18% gray card with Canon 40D: 1/500 f/8 ISO100
Metered 18% gray card with Canon 5D: 1/500 f/8 ISO100

Metered sky about 60 degrees from sun with Minolta Spotmeter F: 1/500 f/8 ISO100
Metered sky about 60 degrees from sun with Canon 40D: 1/500 f/8 ISO100
Metered sky about 60 degrees from sun with Canon 5D: 1/500 f/8 ISO100

Readings of the sky are affected by angular spacing to the sun, and dispersion of light by moisture in the air. Sky a few more degrees away indicated 1/400 f/8, for example

Metered with Minolta Autometer Vf incident meter: 1/500 f/8 ISO100

Sunny 16 rule of thumb expects ISO100, 1/100 f/16 or 1/400 f/8

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 18, 2010 17:19 |  #60

I shoot M mode and use either a zone system or an incident meter 95% of the time and I certainly do not shoot still subjects. I venture that M mode is typically the fastest method overall for shooting sports and action.

So long as your subject is close to middle grey in tone, spot metering them will correct for backlight. If your subject is white or black, it sure won't work.

I find applying some light myself with a flash is a better fix for backlight anyway.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

9,495 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D2 metering: anyone else need +2/3 or +1 all the time?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.