Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2010 (Friday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

decisions, decisions: upgrade body or not

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 08, 2010 14:54 |  #1

thanks to some xtra work over the holidays, and judicious dumping of extra change into the jar, I've got a couple of bucks to play with and am faced with a dilema.

currently, I have the xs. While they don't seem to sell here very well, they still command a reasonable price on ebay.

the conundrum. sell the xs while it's actually still worth something and trade up to an xsi or a 40d? both seem to regularly go through the boards for reasonable prices. or live with it and sit on the cash for another year and get the 70-200 f4 IS. (liking the IS over the non-IS systems regardless of cost) I'm thinking that 15-200 in a 2 lens system with a flash is going to provide 99.5% of my needs based on the kinds of pictures I've taken before. Not to mention that the last .5% can easily be taken care of through lensrentals for those times I just want to play.

First off, I'm not disliking the camera at all, happy with the images I've gotten from it. Nothing spectacular yet, but some print worthy captures. One hell of a learning curve from a P&S though, actually have to unlearn alot of wrong and sloppy technique and laziness from it.

I'm no pro shooter by any means, the camera's still more of a toy than anything else. Likely it's still far more capable than I am. However, I've begun to play with raw more often and 1.5 fps in that mode kinda sucks, and I've toyed with trying to get decent shots of my friends dogs. I have no idea if the AF tracking is better on either of those cam's but it seems like even with the 15-85 I'm constantly behind them. find myself wondering if the AF on the cam is just a little slow - or is it just my technique needs more work. However, I love the near no weight of the current setup, and my friends 40D is a rather significant change, but dang it feels nice.

Yes I want my cake, and my pie and I want it to be free and easy and have no trans-fats. :lol:

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
ScottCullum
72 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 16:20 |  #2

I just sold my XS to buy a 40D... and im very happy with that decision!

5Dc / 28-70L / 50 1.8 mk I / 580EX / BG-E4

err
132 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2010 16:53 |  #3

I have had the rebel series as my first DSLR and found no problem shooting with it. My only qualm is that the camera feels fragile and a little too small for the lens that I want to use.

If you have not had the need to purchase new lenses, I would keep the 1000D and have fun shooting with it. I would choose lens over body anyday and a big advocate of it because lenses doesn't lose their value, if you pick the right lens :)

However, after coming from rebel to xxd to 5D, I am a big believer in FF camera ... I would suggest that you consider a used 5D when you have saved up some $$ :)

Canon 5D II
24-70L 2.8 | 24L 1.4 | 50L 1.2 | 85L II 1.2 | 580EX II

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 08, 2010 17:06 |  #4

The AF and the RAW frame rate are probably the two main things that have been skimped on with the XS/1000D, compared with the XSi/450D. Other important ones are the self-cleaning sensor, spot metering and perhaps less important the RAW files are 12-bit rather than 14-bit. These differences sound like they may be worth an upgrade for your applications, and the size and weight would stay pretty-much the same.

The 40D is another step up, of course. It is much faster and more versatile to use, but is considerably bigger and heavier. Image quality is indistinguishable between the three, so it's only facilities and ease of use that differentiates.

The one thing I would say is don't go mad with gear while you still have so much to learn. The more you learn, the better idea you'll have of what things you do want to upgrade.

Mark.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 08, 2010 17:08 |  #5

It sounds like you want a new body so go for a new body. 1.5 FPS does suck and a Xsi or 40D will definitely get you faster shooting. If you really want fast shooting, maybe consider something even more high end like a 7D.

I would not recommend a FF camera because they (although faster than your XS) because:
1. expensive
2. about half as slow as their crop frame counterparts

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 08, 2010 17:17 |  #6

40D is a very nice camera. I used it for pro work for quite some time. I really liked the way it handled.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 09, 2010 07:51 |  #7

I had a 30D for a while. Really liked it. You might consider it if finances are tight.

anothernewb wrote in post #9353312 (external link)
thanks to some xtra work over the holidays, and judicious dumping of extra change into the jar, I've got a couple of bucks to play with and am faced with a dilema.

currently, I have the xs. While they don't seem to sell here very well, they still command a reasonable price on ebay.

the conundrum. sell the xs while it's actually still worth something and trade up to an xsi or a 40d? both seem to regularly go through the boards for reasonable prices. or live with it and sit on the cash for another year and get the 70-200 f4 IS. (liking the IS over the non-IS systems regardless of cost) I'm thinking that 15-200 in a 2 lens system with a flash is going to provide 99.5% of my needs based on the kinds of pictures I've taken before. Not to mention that the last .5% can easily be taken care of through lensrentals for those times I just want to play.

First off, I'm not disliking the camera at all, happy with the images I've gotten from it. Nothing spectacular yet, but some print worthy captures. One hell of a learning curve from a P&S though, actually have to unlearn alot of wrong and sloppy technique and laziness from it.

I'm no pro shooter by any means, the camera's still more of a toy than anything else. Likely it's still far more capable than I am. However, I've begun to play with raw more often and 1.5 fps in that mode kinda sucks, and I've toyed with trying to get decent shots of my friends dogs. I have no idea if the AF tracking is better on either of those cam's but it seems like even with the 15-85 I'm constantly behind them. find myself wondering if the AF on the cam is just a little slow - or is it just my technique needs more work. However, I love the near no weight of the current setup, and my friends 40D is a rather significant change, but dang it feels nice.

Yes I want my cake, and my pie and I want it to be free and easy and have no trans-fats. :lol:

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links

938 views & 0 likes for this thread
decisions, decisions: upgrade body or not
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.