Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 09:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

M45 - The Seven Sisters - Pleiades

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 09, 2010 09:56 |  #1

I often grab a frame or so of M45 at either the beginning or the end of an imaging session. Through the winter its normally in a good position for me to check guiding etc due to the abundance of stars in the area. A mix of frames taken with a 40d and my CCD camera which took a bit of playing with to stack together.

Being a cold wintry day I decided to spend some time sorting through the images I do have and running them through PixInsight. I had to ditch quite a few with trailing or bad sky background but ended up with the best part of 3 hours of decent data. Pixinsight has some great tools for Astro Images but man is it complex to use. I used to use just the Background Calibration and Histogram Tools and then finish off in Photoshop but now pretty much have a workflow from start to finish.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

This is by far and away my best rsult of M45 with the brown dust below Merope beginning to show nicely. Will now be firmly on my list for a further dedicated imaging session.

sponsored links
troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2010 15:50 |  #2

Coming along nicely.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2010 16:00 |  #3

Very nice Chris but leaning strongly towards Cyan instead of what i know as blue .

godzakka
353 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 09, 2010 21:15 |  #4

Absolutely gorgeous!

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 10, 2010 02:49 |  #5

Celestron wrote in post #9360053 (external link)
Very nice Chris but leaning strongly towards Cyan instead of what i know as blue .

I agree with you. Frames were from a mix of CCD and 2 different Canon DSLR's and some included a CLS filter and some did not. Colour balancing is therefore a bit of a mare. Resulting stacked image also had a strong colour cast and a fair gradient.

Will give it another go.

Bhargav
223 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 10, 2010 03:08 |  #6

chris.bailey wrote in post #9358025 (external link)
Pixinsight has some great tools for Astro Images but man is it complex to use. I used to use just the Background Calibration and Histogram Tools and then finish off in Photoshop but now pretty much have a workflow from start to finish.

gorgeous.
please fill me on how you were able to avoid the trails...

blogger (external link)
flickr (external link)
starburst flickr group (external link) -- pls join in

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 10, 2010 03:37 |  #7

chris.bailey wrote in post #9363022 (external link)
I agree with you. Frames were from a mix of CCD and 2 different Canon DSLR's and some included a CLS filter and some did not. Colour balancing is therefore a bit of a mare. Resulting stacked image also had a strong colour cast and a fair gradient.

Will give it another go.

Hopefully now a little more blue than Cyan.

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 10, 2010 03:40 |  #8

Bhargav wrote in post #9363056 (external link)
gorgeous.
please fill me on how you were able to avoid the trails...

A reasonably polar aligned mount with a second scope and camera to guide the main imaging camera.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'
pretty much shows it.

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2010 08:57 |  #9

Nice image. The CLS is notorious for it's odd color tint. I've yet to get a decent image of the Pleiades, but have read a few articles testing various LP filters on that particular target. Between the CLS, IDAS LPS, and none... You get the best results on Pleiades with none.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 10, 2010 09:33 |  #10

Footbag wrote in post #9364060 (external link)
Nice image. The CLS is notorious for it's odd color tint. I've yet to get a decent image of the Pleiades, but have read a few articles testing various LP filters on that particular target. Between the CLS, IDAS LPS, and none... You get the best results on Pleiades with none.

Agreed but without it I have to severely limit sub duration to keep withing the sky glow limit. Worse of two evils.

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2010 10:44 |  #11

chris.bailey wrote in post #9364225 (external link)
Agreed but without it I have to severely limit sub duration to keep withing the sky glow limit. Worse of two evils.

Understood. I do a lot of shooting from a red zone. Haven't gotten any decent nebulosity since the leaves fell off the trees exposing the streetlights. Probably going to pick up either the IDAS or CLS, but it's a tough choice.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 10, 2010 13:49 |  #12

chris.bailey wrote in post #9363155 (external link)
Hopefully now a little more blue than Cyan.

Alot better now ! More close to what it should be . Check out these images by a friend of mine Jay Ballauer (external link) . The second image is almost same as yours .

Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 11, 2010 04:04 |  #13

Lovely image Chris. Love the colours and the dust lanes in this image.

Hard target to do justice with especially with long exposure rates.

MY NEW WEBSITE : www.portrait-universe.com (external link)

vinyleater
107 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2010 19:47 |  #14

Chris, that shot capture a lot of the magic of the Seven Sisters. Very nice accomplishment. And thanks for the shot of your set-up. Well beyond what I've got going.

sponsored links

2,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
M45 - The Seven Sisters - Pleiades
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.