Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark II vs Medium Format Body?

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 09, 2010 16:00 as a reply to  @ post 9360025 |  #16

It really depends what you are shooting the ability to use huge numbers like F32 and have the images TACK sharp all across the frame cannot be done with a 35mm camera. Most high end jewelry, watch shooters use MF. I would assume its the same for automotive shoots as well? This link is the the Leica S2 not quite MF but close it has 38MP so the files are large!

http://www.dpreview.co​m/gallery/leicas2_samp​les/ (external link)

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

sponsored links
EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2010 16:03 |  #17

The big problem is the MF backs are also croppers in reality, I don't believe anyone makes a true MF sized back yet, the largest sensor is about 40mm x 50mm, so you have the same problem with wide angle lenses for them as you did when the original Digital crop sensors were released.

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 09, 2010 16:08 |  #18

EdBray wrote in post #9360065 (external link)
The big problem is the MF backs are also croppers in reality, I don't believe anyone makes a true MF sized back yet, the largest sensor is about 40mm x 50mm, so you have the same problem with wide angle lenses for them as you did when the original Digital crop sensors were released.

What about RED's new 261 MP monster sensor is that thing going to have a FF or will it crop slightly? Thats like what 28K by 9K image size. I guess only time will tell but if it works OK I think Mamiya, Phase One and Hassy are done for. Unless they drop their prices considerably?

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2010 16:19 |  #19

Phase One's P65+ is 40.4mmx53.9mm, I think that's as big as it gets.

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 09, 2010 16:23 as a reply to  @ Vascilli's post |  #20

Red's Largest sensor!
186X56mm 261 Megapixel sensor

EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2010 16:26 |  #21

downhillnews wrote in post #9360167 (external link)
Red's Largest sensor!
186X56mm 261 Megapixel sensor

But the Phase1 is a tangible back that you can purchase, the RED sensor is not actually available anywhere for purchase!

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 09, 2010 16:28 |  #22

maybe an a900?

Dynamic Range

This, together with resolution, is an area where the A900's sensor sings. I have rarely seen such wide dynamic range from any camera, including some medium format backs. On my shoot in Arizona I was able to capture scenes with brilliantly illuminated clouds along with deep shadows, and hold detail in both places. When combined with the sensor's high resolution, for landscape work its hard to think of another camera currently available that is a more suitable tool, and at under $3,000 this level of performance is unparalleled. Just a few years ago it took a medium format back costing $30,000 to generate comparable images. And while today's MF backs still have an edge, the price differential is significant.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …s/cameras/sony-a900.shtml (external link)

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2010 18:20 |  #23

phase ones new range have a few that is not cropped but x 1,0

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 10, 2010 07:59 |  #24

Sorry, i just have H3DII-39 which is not a full frame medium format, also i don't have a 5DII to make a comparison, my 1DsIII is not qualified for comparison test when many here prefer 5DII over 1DsIII.
And i hope i can use my H3DII-39 fair enough before i replace it with H4D-60.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Tareq
17,842 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 10, 2010 08:02 |  #25

I am now in our photography club, and i am planning to shoot few boring portrait of a friend here with my H3DII-39 for some fine art if i can, my 1DsIII just crying in my bag.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2010 08:05 |  #26

Tareq wrote in post #9363863 (external link)
I am now in our photography club, and i am planning to shoot few boring portrait of a friend here with my H3DII-39 for some fine art if i can, my 1DsIII just crying in my bag.

hehehehe!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 10, 2010 08:56 |  #27

tareq, how vast is the difference in the overall image between the hassy and the 1dsiii??? not just IQ, but contrast, bokeh, tonality, etc.?

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

Tareq
17,842 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 10, 2010 09:16 |  #28

kauffman v36 wrote in post #9364058 (external link)
tareq, how vast is the difference in the overall image between the hassy and the 1dsiii??? not just IQ, but contrast, bokeh, tonality, etc.?

I can't explain, also i can't tell until you can do it yourself, many here will say you will not see any difference with web or even original size, so how can i make that difference?
To my eye, i see a difference in IQ, color, contrast, DR, tonality, not sure about bokeh but not so important, H3DII is the winner, just ignore the ISO as with ISO 200 or ISO 400 the H3DII is out.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 10, 2010 10:15 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #29

Thats awesome everyone is talking about a HUGE difference between FF and 1.3 and then someone asks about a sensor that is like twice the size. We are all kids with BB guns and Tareq comes along with his Colt .45 and wants to play!

HAHAHA

siriusdogstar
268 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 10, 2010 10:31 |  #30

xarqi wrote in post #9359520 (external link)
Perspective and angle of view are quite different things. Perspective depends entirely upon the distance to the subject.

"perspective (angle of view)" refers to change in relative apparent size of foreground and background objects as focal length is changed.

sponsored links

11,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark II vs Medium Format Body?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.