Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens resale values...

linh811
551 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 10, 2010 01:54 |  #31

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9361754 (external link)
Going thru bing Ebay shows microsoft at 8% but Adorama for instance whom is a reputable vendor that also sells on E-Bay is only offering 3% off.

So how do you buy from a reputable dealer and get the current 8% ?

Wonder why Amazon never offers any Bing cashback ?

I guess im a little bias toward Amazon since they offer a no ask policy on returns for up to 30 days, free shipping, no-restocking fees, no charge for return shipping, & just a plain no-hassle experience.

But i would definitely jump on a 20% savings but have never lucked out and seen it that low.

Regards, :D

1. go to www.bing.com (external link)
2. type 'cheap wii'
3. click on ebay link at/near the top
4. when you 'click through' to ebay from bing, there will be a little 8% cashback icon in the ebay window. it's currently at 8%, but again, i've seen it jump as high as 35%
5. when you buy the item, BEFORE CHECKOUT, it will give you the EXACT amount of the bing cashback BEFORE final checkout.
6. within minutes the bing cashback amount will be in your paypal account.
7. to summarize, you are going to bing, clicking through to ebay, buying it now and paying with paypal, and you will get the cashback in your paypal account within minutes.

For other vendors, I'll check whether bing or ebates has the higher discount and use whichever gives the higher discount. For ebay, bing always trumps ebates. There are SEVERAL very reputable camera 'stores' on ebay, including adorama and beachcamera. Do NOT buy directly from adorama, as you won't get the bing cashback immediately. You MUST go through ebay......

One more thing, when you go to bing.com and type in certain 'keywords,' to get the ebay cashback, each keyword can only be used a certain number of times. "cheap wii" works A LOT, but if it's been used too many times you'll have to try other keywords. This thread http://www.fatwallet.c​om/forums/hot-deals/928675/ (external link) discusses the matter further, a long with a million other threads if you'll just spend the time to search on google. If one keyword is overused, go to the next keyword.

Everything in my gear list I bought in a single day, when bing jumped to 20%.....I'm waiting for the next bing jump to get the 85L and 100L macro :)

Linh

7D || 5D2 || three 580exII's | 430exII | 24L II | 50L | 100L macro | 70-200/2.8L IS | 24-105L | canon 50/1.4 | canon 17-55/2.8 | Sigma 35/1.4 |Sigma 50/1.4 | Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC |Pocket Wizard Plus II. slingpro 100 and 200, and a million other accessories I can't even remember.

sponsored links
DeVVitt
362 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2010 06:13 |  #32

I usually buy new because I kindly ask a fellow photographer to buy my stuff. And then she can get the paid taxes (19%) back. So new equipment goes for pretty much thesame price as used that way.

Richr110
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2010 08:40 as a reply to  @ post 9360540 |  #33

I believe the maximum rebate from Bing.com is $200.00.

RT ­ McAllister
THREAD ­ STARTER
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 10, 2010 10:15 |  #34

marivil wrote in post #9361743 (external link)
I see Ebay auctions am amazed at how high of a price lens go for. The only logic I can from that is people don't research used lens prices.

I don't think they research new lenes.

LIke I said, saving $20-30 (after shipping) for an out of warranty item bought from a total stranger and shipped without insurance is just stupid IMO. And from one of those, "no returns accepted" ebayers to boot.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 10, 2010 11:15 |  #35

I haven't bought any used lenses other than the CZ and the Zuiko.

I, like many others, find it hard to pay close to retail for a used lens. I am not saying I will never buy a used one but it will have to be at in the range of 30% cheaper than the price of a new one. I am factoring in the total price delivered of a used one as compared to a new one.

I tend to keep my lenses (have only sold a 10-22 when moving to FF) so any loss on a sale is pure speculation.

I did buy a new 40D, followed by a used 5D, followed by a used 5DII.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RT ­ McAllister
THREAD ­ STARTER
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 10, 2010 11:43 |  #36

bohdank wrote in post #9364694 (external link)
I did buy a new 40D, followed by a used 5D, followed by a used 5DII.

The asking price of used cameras are much more reasonable IMO. Since glass isn't effected by shutter activations and such maybe that's the reason they're so high.

Still... there's that new vs. used pricing difference on lenses that doesn't make much sense.

And I just bought a cheap new 3rd party hood for a 17-55 on ebay just to test out the MS cash back thing. 64 cents in my pocket... woo hoo! :D

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 10, 2010 12:00 |  #37

A lot of people are deluded on here when it comes to their asking prices.

And even more are deluded when they buy them..

There are great deals to be had, just gotta be patient and keep your eyes open. It's pretty lol-inducing when you see 50 1.4s going for $350-$365 w/o hood in the sell forum when you can get them for $315-$340 new from time to time, just gotta wait. But there will always be people with more money than sense.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

linh811
551 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 10, 2010 12:02 |  #38

mikekelley wrote in post #9364913 (external link)
A lot of people are deluded on here when it comes to their asking prices.

And even more are deluded when they buy them..

There are great deals to be had, just gotta be patient and keep your eyes open. It's pretty lol-inducing when you see 50 1.4s going for $350-$365 w/o hood in the sell forum when you can get them for $315-$340 new from time to time, just gotta wait. But there will always be people with more money than sense.

LOL yeah. I have a BNIB 50/1.4 (box was ONLY opened to take pics of the warranty card) with receipt dated Jan 4th, 2010 with b&w uv/haze mrc 010 filter and canon hood, both in LNIB condition for $370 shipped and no bites. And 3 posts above mine there is a guy selling a 'used' 'mint' copy of the same lens for $380 haha

7D || 5D2 || three 580exII's | 430exII | 24L II | 50L | 100L macro | 70-200/2.8L IS | 24-105L | canon 50/1.4 | canon 17-55/2.8 | Sigma 35/1.4 |Sigma 50/1.4 | Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC |Pocket Wizard Plus II. slingpro 100 and 200, and a million other accessories I can't even remember.

sponsored links

3,581 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens resale values...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.