Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WFT-E2 with Garmin GPS

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 09:11 |  #1

I just bougth a used WFT-E2 at a very good price.

Does anybody have experience with the combination 1D MK III + WFT-E2 + a Garmin GPSmap gps?

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 10, 2010 10:17 |  #2

I've been looking at the different Garmin GPS devices for a while but haven't really gotten around to making up my mind on which one to buy. Since you already have a GPSmap, how about you giving it a try and reporting back your findings? :)

...Leo

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 10:19 |  #3

I will once I get the transmitter. Hopefully tuesday or wednesday.

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 10:29 |  #4

Leo, in this post you mention that the transmitter can only connect to an ad hoc network. Does this mean that even if I provide the ip address in the configuration and there is access to it through the wireless network the transmitter cannot connect to ftp.klein-jensen.dk ?

Edit: I think you actually answered my question here.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 10, 2010 11:00 |  #5

tommykjensen wrote in post #9364471 (external link)
Leo, in this post you mention that the transmitter can only connect to an ad hoc network. Does this mean that even if I provide the ip address in the configuration and there is access to it through the wireless network the transmitter cannot connect to ftp.klein-jensen.dk ?

Edit: I think you actually answered my question here.

Yes, that's the post I was going to link to (in your [Edit]) but you beat me to it.

...Leo

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 11:04 |  #6

I can't wait to test this because I have the crazy idea to use it during the carnival in may to get selected photos on the official website as fast as possible. The "only" issue will be to have access to a wireless network in a public park.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 10, 2010 11:33 |  #7

tommykjensen wrote in post #9364636 (external link)
I can't wait to test this because I have the crazy idea to use it during the carnival in may to get selected photos on the official website as fast as possible. The "only" issue will be to have access to a wireless network in a public park.

That doesn't sound like a crazy idea. That's one of the reasons for the WFT in the first place. :)

But, you're right. Accessing a public network in a park may be a problem. On that of that, the range of the WFT might be a limiting factor, too. I've never really tested the maximum range of the WFT-E2 but the published specs says it's about 150 m/492 ft. Realistically, it may be shorter than that depending on the surrounding conditions (obstructions, radio interference, etc.).

...Leo

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 11:41 |  #8

Part of the crazy idea is that if we could get one of the major tele companies to sponsor a free wireless network in the park that would be perfect, maybe even free internet for the public. Since its a park there are lots of trees so I doubt the range will be 150 meters.

Now if the transmitter could just connect to my cell phone through wireless, then the cell phone could provide internet access through the cell phone network.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 10, 2010 12:05 |  #9

tommykjensen wrote in post #9364836 (external link)
Part of the crazy idea is that if we could get one of the major tele companies to sponsor a free wireless network in the park that would be perfect, maybe even free internet for the public. Since its a park there are lots of trees so I doubt the range will be 150 meters.

Now if the transmitter could just connect to my cell phone through wireless, then the cell phone could provide internet access through the cell phone network.

Can you connect your phone to a laptop to access the internet? If so, then you can connect the camera to the laptop and access the internet that way. Of course, that'll means that you'll need an assistance to be with the laptop.

...Leo

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 12:20 |  #10

PacAce wrote in post #9364932 (external link)
Can you connect your phone to a laptop to access the internet? If so, then you can connect the camera to the laptop and access the internet that way. Of course, that'll means that you'll need an assistance to be with the laptop.

I will have my laptop with me which I can connect to the internet through my cell phone. Thats actually the way we got images online during the carnival last year. But we want to do it faster this year, this is why I got thinking about this.

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 12:51 |  #11

Anybody know where to get that flash shoe adaptor the GPS is mounted on in the photo here: https://photography-on-the.net …t=779670&highli​ght=wft-e2 ?

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 10, 2010 15:18 |  #12

Well; I can tell you the pic jakes refers to as generic from Canon is also used on this webpage:
And he says I.. so I assume it's his and not from Canon
http://www.sjphoto.com​/gps-canon.html (external link)
Webpage has an email address.

This item has a generic acrylic hot shoe mount that the GPS is velcro-ed onto. My garmin Etrex (almost exactly like the Garmin in your linked pic) has nothing on the back of it where it appears to be mounted except the battery compartment 'latch'
http://www.pc-mobile.net/nkg_mt.htm (external link)

Food for thought.. I do a lot of paintballing and hiking. In both situations my Garmin etrex resides inside a nylon pouch and gets a signal just fine from my paintball pod pack or my camelbacks pocket.
Would you consider an "off Camera" solution and have the USB cable running off the camera like an off camera flash battery pack instead of adding the weight of the GPS + it's batteries to the weight of the camera you're going to be carrying all day/night long?

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 10, 2010 15:34 |  #13

Thanks. I was assuming that I would have the gps somewhere else like in a pocket or something. I was just curious when I saw that photo.

fantilator
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2011 13:51 as a reply to  @ tommykjensen's post |  #14

Hello,

I also have the WFT-E2 + Garmin, but I've found a little bug.

Can you also test this setup, and post the result.?

1D(s)M3 + WFT-E2 + garmin gps.
just connect (wft settings) it, and leave it there.

In my case, after 30min - 1Hr, I cannot enter my menu anymore. It just keeps blank.

youtube clip of the event.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=b0NCtVlZznk (external link)

photopat
569 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 18, 2011 07:42 |  #15

I've played with a 1D3 and a Garmin eTrex. But I found the system too cumbersome to use with the cable going from the WFT to the GPS. So I never tried it for more than an hour to find the same bug. Maybe the better solution will be to go the bluetooth route to get rid of this cable.

I eventually chosen to log the track in the gps independently, and add the gps info in the raw file when back home with geosetter.

I still use the WFT in studio for automatic upload of the files to the NAS.

toys list

sponsored links

3,573 views & 0 likes for this thread
WFT-E2 with Garmin GPS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.