Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First family event: 1st bday celebration

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 10, 2010 14:45 |  #1

Hi all.

My friend has asked me to be the photographer for his daughter's 1st b-day party. This is an Indian 1st b-day party and can get rather large as he is expecting 100+ people. The event will take place at a banquet hall and I'm not sure what the lighting situation will be. Based on the description and pics they have an advanced lighting system and can adjust the mood pretty easily. I guess I will have to ask my friend if he's going to keep it dim or brightly lit because there will be lots of kids.

I'm not a professional photographer but have been doing a lot of travel, landscape, and architectural photography as a hobby. I don't take many portraits but when I do they come out pretty decent. The only concern I have is flash photography. I own a simple 430 EX II, but just not comfortable with it. I've been reading a lot of articles and tutorials on flash photography and hopefully by this weekend I can put it to practice. The hall has high ceilings and bouncing light will be difficult. I just hate direct flash and how it sometimes casts ugly shadows on the person or the background. Another challenge I was told is that one wall is mirrored.

I will be moving around a lot as this space is a good size, with lots of kids, and want to carry only the essentials. What should I take with me? I'm currently thinking about the following:

1. 35mm f/1.4L
2. 70-200 f/4L IS
3. 430 EX II
4. spare batteries (for body and flash)
5. sto-fen diffuser

Should I take my 16-35 & 24-70? I prefer the 70-200 for candid photos from a distance.

Any good tips on using the flash? I simply put it on ETTL and the camera to manual mode and play around with the flash exposure compensation until I get the exposure I want.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2010 16:10 |  #2

The key will be to know if it's dim or dark. I can't imagine a kid's first birthday party would be lit very darkly.

If it's bright enough, a 5D2 at ISO 1600-3200 coupled with your 35 1.4 will give you a good chance to shoot w/o flash. Maybe your 70-200 w/o flash also, but you'll probably end up with motion blur, either from you or the movement of your subjects.

If it were me, the 24-70 would be on the camera all day and I'd be bouncing my flash off walls and ceilings with the help of a bounce card (I don't believe in using diffusers like Stofen or others). And as you indicate, adjusting FEC as necessary. Maybe the 70-200 for close ups with the help of flash. And bring a few sets of batteries for the flash.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,527 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2010 09:54 |  #3

I did similar for my own son and a friend's daughter. Better to have two cameras, otherwise I will go with the zooms. I was using 28-75 on my 1dmk2 and lot of times it wasn't wide enough. particularly for the cake cutting shots. 70-200mm will be too much IMHO.

Next time I am going to setup some remote flashes in the corners and use on camera flash as fill.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

690 views & 0 likes for this thread
First family event: 1st bday celebration
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.