Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 17:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hanging Light Poles, etc. for Studio Storage?

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 10, 2010 17:09 |  #1

I've been using wall/ceiling light mounts lights more in my studio to save floor space and now I need a good spot to store my light poles.

I have some wall space over some file cabinets that I'd like to vertically store the light poles, reflector holders, booms, and misc. arms on. They are laying on top of them now. This room looks nice so I'm trying to keep it that way and use something besides 2x4s or yellow garage hooks. Black or silver would be best but white may also do. Yes I know I could paint things.

Any thoughts on how and what to use to store these items?

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

sponsored links
Monument
62 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 10, 2010 17:23 |  #2

Maybe use something like this (external link)? It's a cane holder. Works very well for old people, but maybe it could work for holding light gear? Quick and very simple construction. The rubber "clamp" fits alot of different sizes.

---
Marius
Do you sell talent? :)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,892 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 10, 2010 21:56 |  #3

Broom holder clips?!...the kind that open and close, rather than simply springly metal jaws

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 11, 2010 06:18 |  #4

I'm don't think they'll hold them. The poles are 13' heavy duty air damped poles from alien bee some with casters, so they are pretty heavy. The folded up base is 9" diameter. I didn't want to hang them from the adjustment clamps at the top of the pole, so eeither upside down of I'll need to put something on the stud to hold it. Probably something mid way might work.

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 11, 2010 11:56 |  #5

Bogen Light stand holder? (external link) You could mount that pretty high up on the wall if you wanted to get things out of the way.

Personally, I hang my stands on a 6'h x 4'w x 2'd wire shelving unit with casters, like you would see in a kitchen. I just use the screw knobs to hang / latch on to the wire shelving and it seems very secure. I have to be careful when rolling over a door threshold, but otherwise they don't fall off when just rolling the rack around.

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 11, 2010 12:15 |  #6

MrScott wrote in post #9371686 (external link)
Bogen Light stand holder? (external link) You could mount that pretty high up on the wall if you wanted to get things out of the way.

Personally, I hang my stands on a 6'h x 4'w x 2'd wire shelving unit with casters, like you would see in a kitchen. I just use the screw knobs to hang / latch on to the wire shelving and it seems very secure. I have to be careful when rolling over a door threshold, but otherwise they don't fall off when just rolling the rack around.

Interesting light stand piece from Bogen.
Perhaps a little overpriced.

I'm having trouble envisioning your homemade method.
Would you mind explaning further or taking a snapshot?

Thanks!

-Mario

Gear List

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 11, 2010 13:41 |  #7

MrScott wrote in post #9371686 (external link)

I like the bogen hanger. It keeps stress on all the section couplings though. Alien Bee stands are great but the knobs and section coupling clamps are plastic. I think I'll get this one unless someone comes up with something better. Thanks.

~ Jeff

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 19, 2010 10:49 |  #8

Monument wrote in post #9366773 (external link)
Maybe use something like this (external link)? It's a cane holder. Works very well for old people, but maybe it could work for holding light gear? Quick and very simple construction. The rubber "clamp" fits alot of different sizes.

I got it yesturday and put it up. It works great and is very well constructed. The holders have v notches that slant at an angle in toward the v to hold various size mounts. I only had one issue; the spacing on the bracket mount is around 24" instead of 16" so you'll need to mount a board to mount it to if you only have studs behind the wall. I was lucky and able to mount it on a horizontal header board behind my drywall.

~ Jeff

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 19, 2010 11:38 |  #9

TooManyHobbies wrote in post #9425582 (external link)
the spacing on the bracket mount is around 24" instead of 16"

Makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking...

-Mario

Gear List

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 19, 2010 12:15 |  #10

m3rdpwr wrote in post #9425852 (external link)
Makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking...

-Mario

That in Italia they have stone walls to mount to or different stud spacing for drywall?

~ Jeff

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 19, 2010 12:30 |  #11

TooManyHobbies wrote in post #9426058 (external link)
That in Italia they have stone walls to mount to or different stud spacing for drywall?

A 48 " spacing would be fine on 16" on center stud's. (Along with 16, 32, tec.)

24" just doesn't make sense in the US or Canada...

-Mario

Gear List

sponsored links

2,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hanging Light Poles, etc. for Studio Storage?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.