Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Jan 2010 (Monday) 09:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ed Brown 1911

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 11, 2010 09:17 |  #1

I thought I would post this up and get some ideas for any improvements the collective might offer.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

Thanks.

Gear List

sponsored links
Hecks
243 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 11, 2010 11:45 |  #2

I think I would like to see that pistol with a less distracting backround. The 2 shades of blue between the flag and the bag does not work for me. Then you have the yellow patch on the bag that distracts also. Not saying this photo is bad because its not. I just think a better shot might be out there. Im thinking half folded flag with a black backround or add another simple texture with the flag.

Nikon D610 70-200 2/8, 24-702/8 TCII 1.7
~ Zenfolio (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2010 11:58 |  #3

Pretty cool image. I'm not as bothered by the bag as Red Panda, but the patch is definitely a distracting element, I'd at least get rid of that.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 11, 2010 12:00 |  #4

+1 on the patch.
Pretty cool shot.

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 11, 2010 12:01 |  #5

Yeah, the patch should either be all in or out. It says "Ed Brown Products" and unfortunately in this shot it's not completely visible... and this is the shot I like best from the set. I may remove it, but then the blue bag would seem out of place as the viewer might not understand the significance... or they may not now anyway. :)

Gear List

carguy4471
464 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 11, 2010 12:19 |  #6

On another note, nice piece of machinery!! I'm a springfield guy, but you gotta love a 1911!!!

Duane
GEAR - FLICKr (external link) - SmugMug (external link):p

illrooster132
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 11, 2010 15:55 |  #7

i like the picture. get the bag out and put some hollow points in the mag and that would mean bussiness.

You dont take a picture ! you just borrow it.:cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/lightburstphotograp​hyexternal link
http://ligthburstphoto​graphy.webs.com/external link

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 11, 2010 16:43 |  #8

The image is beautiful. Well lit. Metal is a photographers best friend. The arrangement of elements is good. I think it's difficult to find something that is both natural and enticing. I wish the bag wasn't the same color as the blue in the flag.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 12, 2010 19:53 as a reply to  @ jetcode's post |  #9

Kimber guy here, but that's a nice 1911 (and image).

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

pickupman92
698 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 14, 2010 14:55 |  #10

I'm just going to throw this out there, take of it what you will. If I see a photo of a gun, I like to see strict tight orderliness. The same says about the profession where a gun like that is used.

example, lining up the barrel and magazine parallel with the stripes in the flag, perhaps the bullets too.

btw, I am not a photo expert nor a gun expert lol.

-Quentin
400D | 50mm 1.8 mkI |17-85 USM IS | Opteka Fish-Eye |Canon 200EG Backpack | SLIK U212 Tripod | Point & Shoot - SD400 | DicaPac Underwater Case for SD400
Southern Exposure Photography (external link)

FELINEDEBOURGES
591 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 14, 2010 15:17 |  #11

I like it over all, however I agree with the first post about the bag, it seems unnecessary for the image. If you needed it to prop the gun then I'd shove it under the flag. Also If you were to shoot this again I'd put a solid white cloth under the flag so that the white stripes will look white since the fabric is fairly translucent the showing through of the dark surface beneath irks me a bit.

sarahashleyphotography​.com (external link)

Tin ­ Kicker
43 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 14, 2010 18:26 |  #12

Love the framing and angles.
Clean up the mag, polish the ammo (and lose the patch) are the only real improvements I see.
Hornaday makes a black cartridge that photographs well.
Alternately, Speer HPs with the silver case and copper clad bullet polish up very nicely and compliment a quality firearm.

50D
Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 50 f1.8, 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100 f2.8L macro, 580 EXII
TBD...

DragonDan
316 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 15, 2010 16:47 |  #13

Nice lil' bob-tail there. Looks sharp to me- well presented. Besides the patch that has been mentioned, the glaring thing (also mentioned) is the use of ball ammo. It does say "carry" on the slide, meaning it is a defensive firearm. Hollow points would complete the story. Another very small point is that magazine does not seem to fit. Most defensive handgun magazine have a pad on the base to facilitate sure and swift changes. Seeing one 'bare' is a bit odd.

Canon EOS 50D gripped; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8; ∑30mm f/1.4; ∑105mm macro; 70-200mm f/4L; 430EX II

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2010 00:54 |  #14

DragonDan wrote in post #9401039 (external link)
Nice lil' bob-tail there. Looks sharp to me- well presented. Besides the patch that has been mentioned, the glaring thing (also mentioned) is the use of ball ammo. It does say "carry" on the slide, meaning it is a defensive firearm. Hollow points would complete the story.

Without turning this into a firearms debate if I can avoid it, I'm not a fan of hollowpoints in .45's. Long story short, a few thousands of an inch in diameter gain vs. losing several inches of penetration isn't a trade I'll make. .03" of an inch isn't going to improve a poor shot, but 5+" of lost penetration can mean the difference between life and death.

Also, ball rounds are more reliable when it comes to feeding.

Another very small point is that magazine does not seem to fit. Most defensive handgun magazine have a pad on the base to facilitate sure and swift changes. Seeing one 'bare' is a bit odd.

The magazine is the one that ships with the gun. It's a bob tail thus its primary purpose is to reduce the footprint of the weapon when concealed. It would be counter productive to bob your butt then turn around and stick a 1/4" long bumper on your carry magazine. :)

You don't drop and reinsert your carry magazine. You load it into the weapon before leaving the house and only change it should you expend the ammo contained within. Once you do that, you use one of your spare magazines to recharge the weapon, and these can (and mine do) have bumpers.

:D

Gear List

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,538 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2010 01:17 |  #15

+1 on hollow point, they just look more menacing and maybe also cock and ready to make the nice 1911 ready to shoot...pix of the bobtail is good, but set up as discussed is a little distracting.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links

9,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ed Brown 1911
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.