Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2010 (Friday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for some lighting techniques/tools in small/confined areas

x0SiN0x
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2010 10:11 |  #1

I’ve recently picked up a gig taking photos of various parts of automobiles (shop and classroom manual material). Shots outside of the car are easy, just throw them up on a light table and shoot away. But there are times when I need a shot under the dash, or even last night a seat belt tension mechanism (on location at a dealership, cant lug much gear around either). These shots are inside the vehicle and in most cases I can’t bounce the flash to get some softer light. I’ve been struggling with shadows and poor lighting in general. I know it can be done as I’ve looked around for this very topic but only find stock photography images with no explanation of lighting - Well nothing that exactly matches what im doing, but still in confined areas like shooting the gauges.

Anyone have any experience with this? Been searching around and my friend Google with my limited Google foo isn’t returning any results.

I will also point out - not a pro by any means. Had an opportunity, did some stuff for them and they wanted more.

*I didnt know if this fit in lighting or the automobile section so if it needs moving - mods please do so!*

*edit*
adding the gear im using right now
5D mark II
usually the 16-35 mk ii and sigma 150mm macro
430EX II and 580EX with a mini softbox
off camera cord and remotely triggering the 430 when needing more light

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,262 posts
Gallery: 293 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 15, 2010 14:20 |  #2

Not sure what gear you are using but here are a couple of thoughts. I'd probably use a 580exII with an off camera cord and a small softbox like the micro apollo for those times when the flash has to be direct. You also might want to consider a ringlight like they use for macro work.

x0SiN0x
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2010 14:47 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #9400122 (external link)
Not sure what gear you are using but here are a couple of thoughts. I'd probably use a 580exII with an off camera cord and a small softbox like the micro apollo for those times when the flash has to be direct. You also might want to consider a ringlight like they use for marco work.

Ive been using a 580EX and 430EXII fired remotely with a small softbox, i may try and either make a bigger one or just buy one retail. Works ok, but not ideal. I hadn't thought about the ring light though, that may be a possibility when im not shooting direct at anything highly reflective

thanks!

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 15, 2010 21:59 |  #4

Take some white poster board and cut it to fit under the dash or just lay the poster board on the floor and bounce one or both your flash units off the poster board. You are working in tight quarters so you will have a hard time getting a large enough light source for direct flash. Even if using direct flash you can use poster board or aluminum foil to help fill in your shadows. Both of these items are cheap and easily cut or shaped to fit under dash.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for some lighting techniques/tools in small/confined areas
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.