Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Jan 2010 (Friday) 11:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

file size difference between cs3 and DPP

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2010 11:48 |  #1

Hello,
I would like to know why there is a big difference between the jpeg conersion file size of DPP and CS3. My 10mp files are generally in the 5-7 MB when converted from raw to jpeg with DPP, but are around 2-4MB when I use CS3. Both have output at 300dpi and maximum quality

Am I losing quality with cs3 or is it simply beign more efficient? Am i doing somthing wrong?

Thanks

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 15, 2010 13:01 |  #2

First off, DPI is utterly meaningless in this context. What compression level are you using in both programs? Assuming you're not resizing (changing the pixel dimensions), the compression level could have a big impact on the file size.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2010 13:08 |  #3

It's been quite a while since I've used DPP but CSX allows quality levels from 1-12 (I didn't count "0"). Typically on my 5D I'll use level "10" for the files I send to the level which is about 90% quality level. It sounds like you are trying to make an apples to oranges comparison. As Gordon indicates, compression level is the key here ;).

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

siriusdogstar
268 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 15, 2010 13:22 |  #4

another file size difference is caused by inclusion (or not) of ICC profile, and of EXIF information.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2010 13:36 |  #5

I can't talk intelligently of ICC, but I thought EXIF by default was contained in the RAW file?

siriusdogstar wrote in post #9399776 (external link)
another file size difference is caused by inclusion (or not) of ICC profile, and of EXIF information.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 15, 2010 13:45 |  #6

sapearl wrote in post #9399856 (external link)
I can't talk intelligently of ICC, but I thought EXIF by default was contained in the RAW file?

Correct, but if you strip it out when saving to JPG, you can save some file space(but not ~2-3MBs worth)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2010 13:48 |  #7

Ah! Totally forgot about that :rolleyes:. Thanks for clearing that up Evan. It's something I don't do so I never even thought of it.....

egordon99 wrote in post #9399918 (external link)
Correct, but if you strip it out when saving to JPG, you can save some file space(but not ~2-3MBs worth)

GEAR LIST

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2010 16:35 |  #8

This is a difficult subject. When converting an image in JPEG, there are usually 256 parameters and an important decision, which influance the size and quality of the output. The "quality" settings (a number from 1 to 10 with DPP, or 1 to 12 with Photoshop, or a percentage, or whatever) are totally arbitrary and not comparable between programs; they are only for the user interface.

Increasing the "quality" means increasing the file size compared to a lower "quality" setting of the same program. However, an image with higher file size created with one program is not necessarily better, than a smaller one created by another program. Even worse: the resulting quality depends on the image content as well; not all images require the same JPEG encoding level.

Perhaps the best is to create JPEGs from images with very fine details, straight lines, plain unicolored, untextured patches with different "quality" settings. Then open the JPEG images in Photoshop or whatever and look at the critical parts in 300%. (Note: saving and reopening the images is absulutely required, otherwise you see the original content without the JPEG degradation.)

Gabor

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 15, 2010 16:43 |  #9

I could explain it, but it'd take too long. Don't worry about it as long as the images look good.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

880 views & 0 likes for this thread
file size difference between cs3 and DPP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.