Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 15 Jan 2010 (Friday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One VERY ugly bird....and dumb too!!

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2010 14:14 |  #16

jic2 wrote in post #9400994 (external link)
wild turkeys are highly evolved pack animals. They are very difficult to hunt due to the fact that they change habitat patterns frequently and they use sentries to alert the group if danger is near. Domestic turkeys on the other hand are bred for larger breast and thy meat verse survival instincts rendering them genetically inferior to there wild cousins. Wild turkeys get a bad rap from there banjo wielding cousins.

Wild ones are fascinating, and I would not consider them as dumb at all. They are known to be extremely hard to hunt.
The wild ones have a appetite for that loathsome arachnid, the common wood tick. Good birds to have around.

The domestic ones are made to be eaten, and Darwin's laws don't factor in their wayward evolution.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

sponsored links
canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 26, 2010 14:46 |  #17

This is a great shot. I have eaten more wild turkeys than I have tame ones, and I can attest to their taste. As odd as it sounds, they taste exactly like a Butterball from the grocery store. No difference I could tell, no gamey taste, even the ones from the Western states.

And don't let old fat Tom fool you, these guys can fly for long distances any time they feel like it. They aren't just fat chickens. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 07, 2010 08:01 |  #18

well great information about turkeys - thanks.

Here's another shot from that Cuban farm. There were several turkeys there so this may not be the same guy in the OP.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2754/4331191961_8ab0ca09d1_o.jpg

this one definitely is not the same bird as in the OP:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)
or follow me: https://www.instagram.​com/instaphilmarion/ (external link)

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2010 08:00 |  #19

canonloader wrote in post #9476055 (external link)
And don't let old fat Tom fool you, these guys can fly for long distances any time they feel like it. They aren't just fat chickens. :)

Tom Arnold? Who's fat Tom?

Last one:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2010 08:19 |  #20

Who's fat Tom?

? What do you call a male turkey where your from?

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

trmwf
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 15, 2010 10:19 |  #21

I think turkeys are very sly and wily in the wild but are quite dumb at the same time. I used to live in the hills of Missouri where flocks of wild turkeys would walk through your yard. There was an old woven wire fence behind my yard seperating it from the woods. If you walked out and surprised a flock in the yard they would run for the woods and when they got to the fence they would spend a lot of time trying to squeeze through the openings in the wire fence. Of course, they wouldn't fit and after a few minutes of trying different holes unsuccessfully, one out of ten or fifteen birds would back up a little and fly over while the rest would keep trying to force their way through. Pretty soon another would fly over, then another. Sometimes it would take a flock of 10 or 12 birds almost 10 minutes to finally make it to the woods by backing up one at a time and simply flying/jumping over the fence while the others were still trying to force their large bodies through the much smaller openings. Assuming it was always the same flock as I think they pretty much stay in the same range, I watched this go on a couple of times a week for the four years I lived there. They were never simply smart enough to fly over the fence to make their escape right in the beginning. It was always try to squeeze through then finally give up one by one and fly over. But to go out in the woods and try to track them down and lure them in close was a real challenge. Sly but dumb, that's the turkey.

Mike

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2010 10:33 |  #22

trmwf wrote in post #9613138 (external link)
I think turkeys are very sly and wily in the wild but are quite dumb at the same time. I used to live in the hills of Missouri where flocks of wild turkeys would walk through your yard. There was an old woven wire fence behind my yard seperating it from the woods. If you walked out and surprised a flock in the yard they would run for the woods and when they got to the fence they would spend a lot of time trying to squeeze through the openings in the wire fence. Of course, they wouldn't fit and after a few minutes of trying different holes unsuccessfully, one out of ten or fifteen birds would back up a little and fly over while the rest would keep trying to force their way through. Pretty soon another would fly over, then another. Sometimes it would take a flock of 10 or 12 birds almost 10 minutes to finally make it to the woods by backing up one at a time and simply flying/jumping over the fence while the others were still trying to force their large bodies through the much smaller openings. Assuming it was always the same flock as I think they pretty much stay in the same range, I watched this go on a couple of times a week for the four years I lived there. They were never simply smart enough to fly over the fence to make their escape right in the beginning. It was always try to squeeze through then finally give up one by one and fly over. But to go out in the woods and try to track them down and lure them in close was a real challenge. Sly but dumb, that's the turkey.

That sort of behavior is not really different than many other large birds that primarily forage on the ground. However, if they sense danger, they will take to the air. They typically do not sense imminent danger if they stay on the ground.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

pttenn
Cream of the Crop
9,671 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 15, 2010 13:50 |  #23

Not sure about the dumb part.....we see them everywhere, in fact have to slow down to keep from hitting them in the road...up until turkey hunting season opens. Then they are nowhere to be found! How do they know????? lolol
Karen

Canon 50D, 40D, Tokina 12-24,Canon 18-55,Canon 28-135 IS, Canon 50 1.8,Canon 75-300 5.6,
Canon 200 2.8 L, Canon 400 f/5.6 L, Bogen monopod and Sunpak Tripod with manfrotto Pistol ball grip.

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2010 16:41 |  #24

canonloader wrote in post #9612585 (external link)
? What do you call a male turkey where your from?

Butterball.

No, I really have no idea. I live in the city. We only have frozen turkeys of indeterminable gender.

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2010 16:43 |  #25

pttenn wrote in post #9614380 (external link)
Not sure about the dumb part.....we see them everywhere, in fact have to slow down to keep from hitting them in the road...up until turkey hunting season opens. Then they are nowhere to be found! How do they know????? lolol
Karen

They probably can tell it's hunting season when the cars stop slowing down:)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2010 17:27 |  #26

Male turkeys are called Tom's. Not sure I ever heard what females are called. :lol:

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2010 17:49 |  #27

canonloader wrote in post #9708980 (external link)
Male turkeys are called Tom's. Not sure I ever heard what females are called. :lol:

"Free with $25 purchase" ;)

A.K.A. Turkey Hens

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2010 17:52 |  #28

Well, I know they are hens, but they should have a name too, maybe Henrietta? :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2010 17:56 |  #29

canonloader wrote in post #9709131 (external link)
Well, I know they are hens, but they should have a name too, maybe Henrietta? :)

Have you noticed that only the males named Tom get the axe?

mannyhan
328 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 01, 2010 17:57 |  #30

philmar wrote in post #9708738 (external link)
They probably can tell it's hunting season when the cars stop slowing down:)

haha..I saw several day before thanksgivings day strolling down the road taking their sweet time. I must say road kill for dinner sounded REALLY GOOD at that monment :-)

Gear List

sponsored links

4,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
One VERY ugly bird....and dumb too!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.